FAQ  •  Login

AVUS Grosser Preis von Berlin 1991 [FINISHED, RESULT INSIDE]

<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Golf

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 am

Re: AVUS Grosser Preis von Berlin 1991 [RESULTS]

I hope you all check the results more closely, there could be some mistakes. The pit stop rule actually made a bit of a difference but not too much and I am very happy with it.

Also, one class was won by a N/A and one by a turbo, so it was really a pretty well balanced formula. I still suggest a slightly higher turbo factor of 2.4 to 2.5 for the future, in light of the absolutely best cars, which were still turbos.
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:06 am

Midfield...huh :\
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:38 am

I believe you were also a bit at a disadvantage with your choice of chassis, also the fuel strategy did not really work well for your turbo.
That means lap time was not quick enough for a turbo, in spite of a good strategy,
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:40 am

I did miles better than last time!

The Matte Menace!!!
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:43 am

Yes, but also check again my tips. Your car could have gone even quite a bit faster actually.
<<

squidhead

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:56 am

BurningBridges wrote:I believe you were also a bit at a disadvantage with your choice of chassis, also the fuel strategy did not really work well for your turbo.
That means lap time was not quick enough for a turbo, in spite of a good strategy,

Yes, I could probably get about 100-140 extra horses out of that engine at a cost of 1 pit stop. Well, not a bad start for the top speed races. Im new to this anyway
<<

olebolesparabol

Cars: A bicycle

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:04 am

2nd and 4th in my first competition? Not too shabby, can't be unhappy with that result :)
<<

CadillacDave

Cars: 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:10 am

Pretty proud getting dead on midfield in the C50 race (the pocket rocket was my 'what if I made a crazy city hatch'), my C60 cars could have dona a little better but oh well
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:15 am

squidhead wrote:
BurningBridges wrote:I believe you were also a bit at a disadvantage with your choice of chassis, also the fuel strategy did not really work well for your turbo.

Yes, I could probably get about 100-140 extra horses out of that engine at a cost of 1 pit stop. Well, not a bad start for the top speed races. Im new to this anyway

It was a brave try, and you were the only one who went that route. It could have worked, I had you on place one for a long time.

The optimum is a bit over 640 hp for a 1.6L and over 480 for a 1.2L, which is what you get when you scale up the 1000cc engines. A V12 turbo should go still higher, but one thing that is quite important is that there is a big difference in cost between a 4,6,8 or 12 cylinder design. Make of this what you want, but I begun now calculating with hp per cylinder for in this type of race. In the beginning I only built V8s because of the better stroke, they have a lot of extra reliability, but as long as I can get similar results with a 4 or 6 cylinder I would probably try that first.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 am

olebolesparabol wrote:2nd and 4th in my first competition? Not too shabby, can't be unhappy with that result :)

Yes, a very good result from you. Your engines develop quite a lot of power actually, afaik the 2.85L was even the most powerful N/A in its class. Pit stops were a bit too closely missing the threshold though, thats were you could have found 2 extra minutes (both cars), but of course this would go a bit detrimental to engine power. Perhaps you find other ways to optimize fuel consumption in the future. I had also put an Excel file in the first post with which you can check your own fuel consumption, maybe you should check that out.
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 am

CadillacDave wrote:Pretty proud getting dead on midfield in the C50 race (the pocket rocket was my 'what if I made a crazy city hatch'), my C60 cars could have dona a little better but oh well

The LeMans was going quite well, but V12 and weight were maybe working a bit at your disadvantage. Seems the Pocket rocket was doing quite well in spite of a really low performance index.
<<

olebolesparabol

Cars: A bicycle

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:32 am

BurningBridges wrote:
olebolesparabol wrote:2nd and 4th in my first competition? Not too shabby, can't be unhappy with that result :)

Yes, a very good result from you. Your engines develop quite a lot of power actually, afaik the 2.85L was even the most powerful N/A in its class. Pit stops were a bit too closely missing the threshold though, thats were you could have found 2 extra minutes (both cars), but of course this would go a bit detrimental to engine power. Perhaps you find other ways to optimize fuel consumption in the future. I had also put an Excel file in the first post with which you can check your own fuel consumption, maybe you should check that out.

Yeah, I realised that. I hadn't taken that into consideration in that level of detail. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to try and optimize my designs with pit stops in mind. Guess that will be a point of focus for the next race :)
<<

CadillacDave

Cars: 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:36 am

BurningBridges wrote:
CadillacDave wrote:Pretty proud getting dead on midfield in the C50 race (the pocket rocket was my 'what if I made a crazy city hatch'), my C60 cars could have dona a little better but oh well

The LeMans was going quite well, but V12 and weight were maybe working a bit at your disadvantage. Seems the Pocket rocket was doing quite well in spite of a really low performance index.

Hopefully I will do better next race as I am starting to gain more knowledge from trial and error
<<

squidhead

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 am

I think you should start implementing engine damage over time due to overheat
<<

BurningBridges

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:45 am