FAQ  •  Login

Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge(reviews published)

<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:10 am

Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge(reviews published)

The Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge

Finished

As a norwegian car enthusiast, life isn't always easy. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful and peaceful country, but our government really hates cars. We have a taxation on new cars at 215%! meaning a bog standard VW Golf with the smallest engine and no extra equipment for instance costs about about 30.000 USD. Of course, there is also an added tax for engine displacement, amount of horsepower, fuel consumption, weight and emissions included in that price. If you want a GTi (2litre 230hp) with the proper equipment it will cost about 55.000 USD brand new one. This has lead to an abundance of boring cars with really boring engines, especially on the secondhand market, for the new driver with his freshly printed drivers licence in his hand looking to buy a car. The year is 2002, and i am properly frustrated, as funds are limited and fun is expensive!

Your challenge is to remedy this situation somewhat. However, Norway is a country of dualities, and there are several conserns you have to take into account when building your car. The roads are rather poor, and most norwegians has a cabin somewhere remote with gravel roads leading to them, where too stiff a setup will kill their spine and too low a ride will kill the car. Several months each year there is snow and ice, making some tyre types unavailable, as well as safety important on slippery roads. We also go on loads of trips together, so number seats is a factor to remember.

So, to the rules:
Units used are hp, l/100km, kg, cc (the metric drill)
Year: 2002, any body up to this eligible
No limited production or no mass production components
At least 250cc displacement per cylinder
Engine reliability > 65
Total reliability > 75
Premium 95 unleaded fuel
Catalytic converter required
Loudness < 45
No semi slicks or sports compound due to winter
Tyre cost < 500$ and 0 quality
At least required cooling
Ride height > 180mm
Market price max 33000$ @ 50% in gasmea, medium 2 factory

Scoring
Even more heavily weighted (x1,75): Reliability
Very heavily weighted (x 1,5): Sportiness, Utility, Safety, Fuel Economy (250/consumtion)
Heavily weighted (x 1,25): Practicality, Environmental Resistance, Number of cylinders (Number of cylinders x -3)
Normally weighted (x 1,00): Comfort, Offroad, Running Costs (Running Costs/100 x -1), Hp Penalty ((Hp - 100)/10 x -1), Displacement Penalty (((Displacement - 1800cc)/100) x -4)
Lightly weighted: (x 0,75): Prestige, Drivability, Emissions (Emissions/2 x -1)

Bonus Points:
4x number of seats
(Benchmark time - Your time) on Green Hell Max (Maximum 75 points)
25 points for posting an ad in the thread

Naming Convention:
Model: YNEC (Username)
Trim: YNEC (Car Name)
Engine Family: YNEC (Username)
Variant: YNEC (Engine Name)

Please send entries to me by PM

Deadline: 27th January 11.59.59 GMT+1

Accepted entries:
Madrias
HighOctaneLove
Slax
Vri404
strop
viovannelli
thecarlover
koolkei
DeuxExMackia
07CobaltGirl
stensen
adsren
VicVictory
Dragawn
oppositelock
Sebesseg
earincon198

Pending entries

Will write blurbs for all entries.
Top 3 will get full reviews, as well as personal favourite and possibly the one who is the most different from the rest.
Last edited by Puffster on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 14 times in total.
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge (Rules discussi

Nice, i like building reasonable priced cars.

Though i think drivability should be place higher and off-road lower, or what is your reasoning behind it? I think it matters more having an easy to drive car, than a car that occasionally does some off-road stuff.

Since the green hell is under Bonus Points, does it mean that if your slower than the reference time, you don't get minus points?
CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

Puffster

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:04 am

asdren wrote:Nice, i like building reasonable priced cars.

Though i think drivability should be place higher and off-road lower, or what is your reasoning behind it? I think it matters more having an easy to drive car, than a car that occasionally does some off-road stuff.

Since the green hell is under Bonus Points, does it mean that if your slower than the reference time, you don't get minus points?

The idea is to provide cars for the younger enthusiasts, and when I first got my licence, easy to drive was far down on the priority list. It was quite fun having a car that was hard to drive, that required you to learn how to brake properly, how to throw the weight balance around and so on. Going on cabin trips, going fishing and hunting on the other hand, was more important and quite a few of those we went to were quite remote and had rough roads. And whenever we slid off the road into a snowdrift we mocked whoever did not get out himself and needed towing help before helping, hence offroad has some priority if not high.

Regarding Bonus Points, you are correct. However, the benchmark car will be a replica of my very first car, and it should not be hard to beat even if prioritizing other aspects than track times. Here is one just like it:

1982 passat cl 1,6L, horribly fantastic P.O.S. on 165/80-13 tires with 75hp that everyone just referred to as "the boat" due to the insanely soft suspension :D
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 am

In the intro you mentioned added tax for engine displacement, horsepower and emissions, yet that doesn't reflect into the scoring, which seems odd to me because nothing stops me from making a 4 liter 4 cylinder monster.
<<

Puffster

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:38 am

Dragawn wrote:In the intro you mentioned added tax for engine displacement, horsepower and emissions, yet that doesn't reflect into the scoring, which seems odd to me because nothing stops me from making a 4 liter 4 cylinder monster.

I am still thinking about that one because i don't want to drown everyone in rules, but it does present a problem. I will incorporate a penalty to both displacement and hp (or bonus for low numbers) in the scoring, just need to do some testing first. Today i learned that 5,5L I4 turbos are quite economical :lol: Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for the input Dragawn!
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:51 am

You're welcome man! :)

Very simple: -(Hp-80)/x (x=10 seems okay-ish to begin testing with, considering utility relays on Hp aswell), same for emissions. Aaaaaand: -((Displacement-1500cc)/100)^x (x=2 seems good, 2 litre would get -25 score)
turbo = -7 score? Not sure about that one, since they suffer a severe driveability penalty anyhow.
<<

Puffster

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:03 am

Dragawn wrote:You're welcome man! :)

Very simple: -(Hp-80)/x (x=10 seems okay-ish to begin testing with, considering utility relays on Hp aswell), same for emissions. Aaaaaand: -((Displacement-1500cc)/100)^x (x=2 seems good, 2 litre would get -25 score)
turbo = -7 score? Not sure about that one, since they suffer a severe driveability penalty anyhow.

Thanks for the input, changes has been implemented with some minor altercations in the score, thank god for Excel!
Also forgot reliability, which is the most important part for a new chaffeur, money is prob tight and repairs are expensive. Hated being without a car for a couple of months when my engine went haywire and i couldn't afford spare parts. Turbo will be left alone as it affects reliability as well.
<<

asdren

Cars: BMW F20 125i M-Sport

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:11 am

Puffster wrote: Displacement Penalty (((Displacement - 1800cc)/100)^2

Power of two? Or is that a typo? I think you'll need to add also a "x -1" to the formula to be consistent.
CEO and Founder of Revera AG
<<

Puffster

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 am

asdren wrote:
Puffster wrote: Displacement Penalty (((Displacement - 1800cc)/100)^2

Power of two? Or is that a typo? I think you'll need to add also a "x -1" to the formula to be consistent.

Sorry, copy paste error with to many open docs, reedited once more :)
<<

Puffster

Post Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Young Norwegian Car Enthusiast Challenge (Open for entri

With no further comments on the rules the challenge is now open for entries. If you are done with your car before the deadline please feel free to submit early so I can get started on the writing. Good luck!
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:01 pm

where do i look up the tires cost again??

fuel economy and reliability. exactly where i excel when building cars

huehuehuhuehuehue

just..... just...... my second car for this......
2:49 automation track time. :/
Last edited by koolkei on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Presenting the 2002 Bogliq Storaj!!!

Need a small car that's reliable, practical yet fun to drive?

If you answered yes to this question then the Storaj is the car for you!

Combining efficient packaging, excellent fuel efficiency and cutting edge style, the Storaj will get you where you need to go
without fuss and without breaking your wallet while simultaneously providing you, the driver, with a sharp, responsive chassis and
the purity of a six-speed manual gearbox.

Priced at only $32,100 au the Storaj is cheap to buy and even cheaper to own...

Do yourself a favour, buy yourself a Bogliq today!!!
YNEC Storaj Front.png
YNEC Storaj Front.png (476.63 KiB) Viewed 7202 times

YNEC Storaj Rear.png
YNEC Storaj Rear.png (500.89 KiB) Viewed 7202 times
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 pm

Ok. So. I decided to be a bit cheeky and make a 3 seater sports car.

99% of the way through building the car, I discover the car has a maximum ground clearance of 194.2mm. With maximum sized tyres.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ok back to the drawing board on this one lol.

EDIT: wait, minimum was 180mm. Just ignore my derpness. I'm super cramming study and at the tail end of a longish block of shifts >_> I'll replace this post with an ad when I'm done.
<<

Puffster

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:55 am

koolkei wrote:where do i look up the tires cost again??

fuel economy and reliability. exactly where i excel when building cars

huehuehuhuehuehue

just..... just...... my second car for this......
2:49 automation track time. :/

The easy way to see tire cost is change your tyre size to desired setting and keep hovering the button, Autometion will show you then. Alternately you can go into the lua file (trim i think) and look it up

And the track time, well, the benchmark car is currently over 11 mins on green hell, so i wouldn't be too worried :D

strop wrote:Ok. So. I decided to be a bit cheeky and make a 3 seater sports car.

99% of the way through building the car, I discover the car has a maximum ground clearance of 194.2mm. With maximum sized tyres.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ok back to the drawing board on this one lol.

EDIT: wait, minimum was 180mm. Just ignore my derpness. I'm super cramming study and at the tail end of a longish block of shifts >_> I'll replace this post with an ad when I'm done.

Yeah, after some testing i realized 200mm would exclude a few interesting bodies, so decreased the height to make for a wider variety.
3 seater sports car, intriguing!
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:03 am

Okay, I'm pretty happy with what I got. It's an unusual combination, the number of production 3 seater MR sports cars of any kind of budget one could probably count on their fingers. I mean, most people should know about the McLaren F1, but less so the Matra Murena... and I myself don't know any more than that, really.

Also lol that displacement penalty is brutal, so I ended up dodging it entirely... but the HP penalty is still going to wreck me. Exactly at what rate is the Nordschleife time scored? Because I can guarantee you, I'll absolutely slay the benchmark car on the track, I just need to know it's going to be worth it!
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions