The Car Shopping Round (Round 9)

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Re: The Car Shopping Round

Note: I should probably emphasise, I'm Australian. It's not the back alleys of Rome by a long stretch, but our cars are on average probably 2/3rds the size of US cars, or less. And there's a reason why Holden and Ford couldn't hang around: their main market here was large sedans and we just don't have that kind of taste anymore.

The large sedans/wagons here appeal strongly to my utility side, but have their own disadvantages.
<<

UMGaming

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: None :(

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:13 pm

RIP V8 Super cars

Anyway I have a question, do you mind me waiting till the last hour to sell my car to you or even better can I sell it in a private pm and reveal pics on the last day?
Last edited by UMGaming on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Sadly, there's a strong lack of small modern sedans or I'd probably have gone with one of those, but there's a strong lack of small modern sedans, or modern hatchbacks in 5 door configuration.

Now, if by chance you want us to make a second car, I can certainly do that, but the current field of vehicles leaves me wondering exactly what I'd want to build.
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Madrias wrote:Sadly, there's a strong lack of small modern sedans or I'd probably have gone with one of those, but there's a strong lack of small modern sedans, or modern hatchbacks in 5 door configuration.

Now, if by chance you want us to make a second car, I can certainly do that, but the current field of vehicles leaves me wondering exactly what I'd want to build.

Might I recommend the tiny modern SUV I'm making? I'm sure it'll be great on gas :lol: (I still don't know why it's so small)
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Madrias

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:12 pm

thecarlover wrote:
Madrias wrote:Sadly, there's a strong lack of small modern sedans or I'd probably have gone with one of those, but there's a strong lack of small modern sedans, or modern hatchbacks in 5 door configuration.

Might I recommend the tiny modern SUV I'm making? I'm sure it'll be great on gas :lol: (I still don't know why it's so small)

Probably would go like a rat with its tail on fire with a 393cc 4 cylinder engine. Would at least be amusing.
<<

Racer13

Cars: 1996 Ford Probe GT

2007 Intrepid Cruiser w/ 125 IAME Leopard

250 Superkart on the way

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:39 pm

strop wrote:Note: I should probably emphasise, I'm Australian. It's not the back alleys of Rome by a long stretch, but our cars are on average probably 2/3rds the size of US cars, or less. And there's a reason why Holden and Ford couldn't hang around: their main market here was large sedans and we just don't have that kind of taste anymore.

The large sedans/wagons here appeal strongly to my utility side, but have their own disadvantages.

Now he tells us.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:53 pm

I probably should have said this in the post but since I included my back story, I thought people might have remembered that! With the initial entries I thought we were doing fine but when insaw 6L V8 I started having doubts :lol:

While not a specific criteria, 6L v8 is fine if the fuel economy is good, but do think carefully about the tradeoffs! (Of which weighing as much as a bus is one). The 1500kg or so dry weights I'm seeing are fine, though.
<<

Madrias

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:10 pm

I remembered you were Australian, I just didn't know that you guys had moved to littler cars. Didn't know the specifics behind the motor companies ditching the market.

As for my design, I'm comfortable with it, though a little worried that I didn't build small enough.
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:12 pm

People are glossing over how I explained about how much space my car has...

Either it doesn't matter, or no-one's noticed...

8-)
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

Madrias

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Oh, I noticed. I got a good smile out of it.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:31 pm

I'm withholding specific comments until after the deadline passes. Trust me, you'll get a good story out of all of it.

...there's a strong lack of small modern sedans...

Agreed, and I'll keep this in mind when doing the judging. Though there are a few body types in here that I'm wondering why nobody's gone for just yet. Time will tell.
<<

Urbanliner

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Suzuki Pallette

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:34 pm

2015 Daiki Ayase Sport: A Wagon for Parents Who Wants a Sports Car But Can't Buy Them
2016-01-16_00005.jpg
2016-01-16_00005.jpg (191.1 KiB) Viewed 19808 times

marketr.png
marketr.png (412.15 KiB) Viewed 19808 times

The 2015 Daiki Ayase went through a large-scale remodelling for its fourth generation, made into a more premium cruiser for families who don't exactly need a minivan but do need some carrying capacity. The Carrier trim focuses on being a comfortable station wagon, while the Sport trim focuses on being a sporty station wagon with some comfort. The car is driven by it's front wheels, for easier driving (just like the Carrier trim), with Double Wishbone suspension in front and Multilink suspension in back. The car is built to be very reliable just like most Daiki cars, and uses less fuel than most sports cars.

More info coming soon (TM)!
Last edited by Urbanliner on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name of Car Company: Daiki Automotive Company
Owner of company: Urbanliner
Website or Forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4779 (Doubles as the thread for Tsuchiura Garage)
Established: September 12, 2014
Company ID: #2014331
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:03 pm

Post redacted due to my forgetfulness!
Last edited by strop on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Racer13

250 Superkart on the way

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:06 pm

((For the sake of this event thing it's important to remember that while I'm still learning the ropes of the car builder, and am relatively new to the community, that HP Craftworks has been around for 51 years now, and started producing consumer-ready cars (not kit cars) with a relatively high degree of success since the 1980's, therefore it's a reliable brand and won't be falling out of business any time soon.))

HP Craftworks Presents the Series 6 Wagon

Style

In 2015 HP Craftworks began rebuilding and redesigning it's line of consumer-ready cars, as well as introducing some new cars. Among this re imagined lineup was the Series 6, which along with a sedan now sported a wagon which offered even more utility than before. The new image of the Series 6 made for a more modern, sleek, and relatively understated design, while losing none of the flair or quality customers had grown accustomed to in HPC vehicles.

Performance

This model shown here is equipped with the Sport Package, which features premium, alloy wheels wrapped in 225 millimeters of sport compound rubber to hold the road with a death grip at all four corners, and a sportier, active suspension with seven different settings to adjust the ride from the entertainment system in the car, so the car can be tighter than that bolt you can never get out when you want it, and then calm down and relax like a monk on Sundays when you need it. But if it's raw performance you are looking for, look no further. The Sport Package is more than just some wheels and suspension tweaks, it's an experience, that once you try one time, you'll never be able to stop. The Series 6 Sport Package offers up one of the most sophisticated drivelines HP Craftworks has to offer. With a savage six liter V8, always on, HPC designed and race proven active and adaptive all wheel drive and limited slip differential, the seven speed flappy paddle gearbox will move you, your mother-in-law, and her entire apartment up to 62 miles per hour in only 4.1 seconds, fast enough to blow away many sports cars. That is of course assuming her spine hasn't come out from the acceleration. Oh yeah, and that's with the engine in Eco Mode. We can't provide details on what happens when the car is switched into Sport Mode because our test drivers are scared of what might happen.

Utility

But we also realize you don't buy a wagon unless you intend to use it to move stuff, which is why we gave you enough space to help your girlfriend move out when she finds out that you got a new car instead of that engagement ring. Be warned though, you will find hair pins in the car many years after that move, we are not responsible for that. With the back seats up this little number will comfortably seat four with plenty of leg room and head room all around, so at least your mother-in-law won't complain about that after you pick her up from the airport, there is still plenty of space in the back for all 12 of her suit cases, because yes, she is staying for three weeks, and there's nothing you can do about it. But 'Oooh' I hear you cry, 'I still need more space!'. Fear not my friend, those back seats will fold completely flat, allowing you to throw in four sets of ski's, a tent, a mountain bike, that water chair you never used, three hiking back packs and a full size grill with rotisserie action so you can have the craziest adventure you never knew was possible. And when we say completely flat, we mean, completely flat, not just sort of flat like a lot of our competitors will try to sell you.

Comfort

With all of this functionality you would think when it came to the interior of the car it would be an after thought, because surely this car is already out of your budget, but you'd be wrong. We at HPC don't believe in cutting corners, and are willing to make sacrifices to ensure we are providing the best product we can to our customers, which is why when it came to the interior we gave it the same kind of care and attention that we gave the rest of the car. With quality leather, wood, and milled metal materials, the inside of the Series 6 is a symphony of class and sophistication that simply isn't found in cars with a similar price tag, putting the Series 6 in a class of it's own. With a modern, timeless styling and some of the most comfortable, body hugging seats made of memory foam wrapped in hand stitched leather we've ever sat in, and electronic seat controls for position, reclining, lumbar, headrest and leg support, you might never want to get out. So go ahead, click that gearbox down into auto mode, switch the engine to Eco Mode and move the suspension into Comfort and sit back as the car does the work for you, making this car perfect for long road trips.

Sophistication

Of course, no road trip is complete without some nice tunes to rock out to, which is why we partnered with harmon/kardon to create a 10-speaker audio setup that would probably be more at home in a home theater than a car, hooked up to a AM/FM/Satellite radio, 8 disc CD changer, and AUX/USB jack for MP3 players, plus a media slot for a Micro SD card located in the passenger glove box. Alongside that is a built-in touch screen entertainment center with GPS that can control almost any aspect of the car, including the seven-zone climate controls and features wireless bluetooth hands-free connectivity to any smartphone on the market, with voice controls and call controls on the steering wheel. But don't think the driver is the only one that gets to have fun. Each of the back seats get individual climate controls as well as a T.V. entertainment system built into the back of the driver and passenger headrests. And with full-window sun shades, the back seat passengers can enjoy some privacy, or relax and take a comfortable nap. With so many luxuries, you may end up wanting to spend more time in the back seats than driving, which is a shame, because it's a really fun car to drive.

Affordable

By this point you are probably thinking well this all good and everything, but there is no way all of this luxury, performance and sophistication can fit into my budget, I'm not rich or anything. Lucky for you my friend, all this car only comes at a price of $32,640. At that price we are practically handing you the keys the moment it leaves the factory floor. All you have to do is sign on the dotted line and you are on your way to the best all around automotive experience you have ever had. Cars will never be the same again.

HP Craftworks, a different car company.
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
<<

Racer13

250 Superkart on the way

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:07 pm

strop wrote:Now that I have time to look at the entries, please also note that I will also take into account penalties to desirability due to using old bodies when looking at the market tab, which is part of why I said the market tab doesn't matter so much anyway.

Are you doing this to us just to mess with us, or are you really making these kind of decisions after we have built and submitted our cars?
Last edited by Racer13 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael Delaney

HP Craftworks
#1955013, Est. 1955
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions