FAQ  •  Login

PCTC #1: Packbat's Car Tycoon Challege, 1955 [RESULTS]

<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:45 am

Re: PCTC #1: Packbat's Car Tycoon Challege, 1955 [CLOSED]

Might as well reveal mine. And yes, it does in fact have a 1 liter engine.
Car -33.png
Car -33.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 5156 times

Car -34.png
Car -34.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5156 times

Car -35.png
Car -35.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5156 times

The Storm Prince, in Deluxe trim.
<<

Puffster

Cars: No car atm, but a kawasaki z650, 1981

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:50 am

Sorry for the delay on the fixed fixtures model Packbat, it has kinda drowned in everything I want to do, but it has not been forgotten!
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
Will be updated soon... ish... perhaps... hopefully
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:11 am

@Puffster: Much thanks! And no sweat - in the worst-case scenario, I'll just use a dramatic silhouette instead. :P
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Might as well post my land yacht now...

Because 5.0L and 248 hp in 1955 is necessary to move 1.6 tonnes of steel to almost 200 km/h.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

Packbat

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

*staggers out of room, bleary-eyed*

Update: all the calculations are complete, and the spreadsheet is full of delicious, nutritious, and only sometimes outright misleading numbers. Now I have to figure out what they mean, take pictures of the cars I need to feature, and write the results post.
<<

Puffster

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:14 am

I feel for you, just trying to figure out what to focus was hard enough, imagine calculating it all is... immense!
ABR (ambitious but rubbish) Designs, freshly founded car company in 5th floor apartment, looking for more suitable workshop
<<

Packbat

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

Mmph - the creative writing is always the hardest part for me. Okay, question time: which would people prefer?

(a) Results today, in "here's why So-and-so won and here's a link to the spreadsheet" format?
(b) Results ... 'soon', but with a modicum of style (roughly comparable to the Hoon Competition results)?
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am

If "soon" < 1 week; than (b)
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:36 pm

B. I'm willing to wait for some style.
<<

Puffster

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Same as the above ;)
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:13 am

Note: all prices have been converted from 2010 dollars to 1955 dollars using the Consumer Price Index. Works out to about 12% of the Automation in-game prices.

1955 is shaping up to be a year of tremendous international growth for the automobile industry, with customers flocking to showrooms around the world looking for new cars and light trucks. Many manufacturers are looking for any way they can to increase production to meet demand; let's look at three of them that we see as having especial upside potential.

Znopresk Z5755-V12 small.png
Znopresk Z5755-V12 small.png (78.25 KiB) Viewed 5022 times

The company we see as having the greatest upward potential is, of course, Žnoprešk Avtotehnika, based in Trieste, Italy. The Žnoprešk Z5755-V12, pictured above, is the luxury car par excellence, with a well-cushioned leather interior (including an optional phonograph!), well-cushioned double-wishbone suspension, and a V12 that delivers power more smoothly than you can imagine.

And you'll probably have to imagine, at least for the forseeable future; the Z5755-V12 is the sought-after car of the year. The $4,900 price tag is no deterrent to sales; customers have already queued up well into next year for their vehicles, and rumor has it that speculators have sold Žnoprešks to impatient buyers for prices in excess of $10,000.

ABR Cricket Sport small.png
ABR Cricket Sport small.png (40.8 KiB) Viewed 5022 times

While the Norwegian company ABR Designs does not have any car with the same appeal as the Žnoprešk, there is no-one in the world who has sold more cars than ABR, and no ABR that has sold better than the Cricket Econo.

Built in Oslo, Norway, the outstanding characteristic of the Econo - and, indeed, of all Crickets (more on that anon) - is its exceptional nimbleness. It is tiny, it is lightweight, and it is responsive. Those in need of passenger space or luggage capacity will have to look elsewhere, but for everyone else (and at a sales price barely over $1,000 for a car with better than 30 mpg, I mean everyone else), the Cricket Econo is simply too good a deal to pass up.

Unless, of course, you want something a bit more ... exciting. In that case, you'll have to go west to ABR's smaller factory in Drammen, where you'll find for $1,720 the Cricket Sport. The same 1.2L block that produced 40 hp in the Econo is spitting out 69 hp here, and in a car that weighs barely 1,420 lbs, that'll go from 0 to 60 in just eleven seconds - and even on standard tyres, take the corners like a thoroughbred racecar.

GSI Nightingale small.png
GSI Nightingale small.png (49.12 KiB) Viewed 5022 times

The third company we advise you to keep an eye on is right here in the United States - Grey Skies Industries, in Los Angeles, California - who build two cars with a little bit of an avian theme: the $1,000 GSI Pigeon and $1,650 GSI Nightingale. The Pigeon is a perfectly acceptable little city car - and with a galvanized steel chassis and all-around solid construction, a sturdy one at that - but of the two, it's the Nightingale that really caught our eye.

The great thing about the GSI Nightingale is that it does basically everything. (Well, except off-roading.) It has five seats and adequate cargo space, good fuel economy and decent safety, and sporty performance from a miniature 2.4L twin-carb V8. (Its cornering is nowhere near as sharp as the Cricket Sport, but it'll do 0 to 60 in under ten seconds - 128 hp making itself fully known!)

The car doesn't have as much unmet demand as the ABRs or the Žnoprešk - it is less chic than the Z5755-V12, less fun than the Cricket Sport, and less cheap than the Cricket Economy - but if you're looking for the most impractical practical sedan out there, you need look no farther.

Thank you all for your patience, and congratulations to NormanVauxhall, Puffster, and oppositelock! Spreadsheets and futher commentary to come.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 am

wait. so umm, how is the market share??

im a little bit confused here.

anyway, congrats to you 3 the winners in this season of PCTC.
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:09 am

Re: PCTC #1: Packbat's Car Tycoon Challege, 1955 [RESULTS]

Market share is coming - I'll talk about that when I post the spreadsheet.
<<

Puffster

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:59 am

Wooohoooo!!!
Seems my all in gamble on volume payed off, really excited to see the total stats. Thanks for a great challenge Packbat, and once again sorry for being a hold-up in the process. And thanks koolkei :D
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:40 pm

The Spreadsheet

I was originally going to post the .xlsx file, here, but I've decided to upload it to Google Sheets instead: "Entry Data v2", with the list of entries, their stats, and their performance in the market.

I feel like I've learned a lot from this competition, and one of the biggest things I learned is that the spreadsheet I publish for the players to use needs to be much, much more informative. With 13 cars entered, there were theoretically 2.6 million customers to be served; but if all 11 factories worked at full tilt, they would only be able to produce 2.4 million cars in total. The only factory that didn't end up at max capacity is Desert Mountains Automotive's Socorro, NM facility - which was merely producing 81% of its theoretical maximum. I think a lot of that comes down to not giving players a clear idea of how many cars they might sell.

That being the case, I had to work out a better metric for company success than profitability. After all, if your car is the people's fifth choice, and a distant fifth at that, then the moment anyone in the top four gets another production line rolling your customers will evaporate. To that end, I generated two new metrics: fraction of market served when a car sold out, and fraction of buyers for whom the car was their first choice. The latter especially was key for two reasons:
  • This was the "upward sales potential" I was talking about in the reviews.
  • This gave me a way to estimate how much profitability a car could potentially lose when its competitors got their acts together.

From this, I was able to narrow the field of competitors down to the top three I listed in the reviews. All three had Sales/First-Choice ratios below 1 on at least one car ("upward potential") and a positive ROI on first-choice customers alone. The other competitors I am not ranking; how you sort them depends pretty heavily on how quickly you imagine each company ramps up their production, as this will determine what fraction of my so-called 'actual' sales they make before the supply numbers change - and therefore how much profit. The order they appear in the spreadsheet is purely an artifact of the calculation method - the cars that sell out earlier are listed higher and the cars that sell out later are listed lower.

Market Demographic Results

Because there's such a significant difference between first-choice sales and actual sales, I'm going to go ahead and list first and second place in both. This is copied straight off the spreadsheet, but while the Conditional Formatting rules in Excel highlight the appropriate entries for me, those rules didn't survive the import to Google Sheets.

• Commuter:
    • Actual Sales: ABR Cricket Econo, Vanquist Theodora Wagon
    • First-Choice Customers: ABR Cricket Econo, GSI Pigeon
  • City:
    • First-Choice Customers: ABR Cricket Econo, GSI Pigeon
  • Family:
    • First-Choice Customers: ABR Cricket Econo, GSI Nightingale
  • Sport:
    • Actual Sales: ABR Cricket Sport, Storm Prince Deluxe
    • First-Choice Customers: ABR Cricket Sport, ABR Cricked Econo
  • Luxury:
    • Actual Sales: Solo Jetstream Deluxe, Storm Prince Deluxe
    • First-Choice Customers: Žnoprešk Z5755-V12, Solo Jetstream Deluxe
  • Offroad:
    • Actual Sales: DMA 055 F & 055 T (almost tied), Kasuar Excellent City
    • First-Choice Customers: DMA 055 F & 055 T (almost tied), Cricket Econo
  • Utility:
    • Actual Sales: DMA 055 F, DMA 055 T
    • First-Choice Customers: DMA 055 F, Kasuar Excellent Family
  • Muscle/Super:
    • Actual Sales: GSI Nightingale, DMA 055 F
    • First-Choice Customers: Žnoprešk Z5755-V12, GSI Nightingale
  • Track:
    • Actual Sales: ABR Cricket Sport, GSI Pigeon
    • First-Choice Customers: ABR Cricket Sport, GSI Pigeon

Thank you all again for your entries - hope this was fun!
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions