FAQ  •  Login

Hoon Competition (1994) [Top Three Reviews Posted]

<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:04 am

Hoon Competition (1994) [Top Three Reviews Posted]

There are many reasons to own a car. It may be a requirement of a job. It may be a requirement to get to one's job. It may be a mark of status.

But for some, the value of the car is a bit more ... visceral.

A hoon is, in a word, obnoxious. They do burnouts on public roads. They race on public roads. Their cars are loud, brash, and - for the hoons, at least - ridiculously good fun.

For this competition, we are drifting back in time to Peak Hoon - the mid-1990s - and offering a simple goal: make the 'best' hoontastic production car ever. Your budget is meagre, and - being an auto manufacturer - you have to maintain at least the appearance of legality ... but let's see what you can do.

(Thanks to Shaded009 in the Out of Africa competition for inspiration, Leonardo9613 and NexxusDrako for early feedback on the challenge design in the IRC channel, and Lordred for beta-reading the final draft ruleset. Errors that remain are my own.)

Rules:

• Base game + Pyrlix's "High Quality Essentials" Steam Workshop collection only
  • 1994 (or earlier) on all tabs
  • Must use unleaded fuel
  • No Race Intakes
  • No Race Tubular headers
  • Must have a catalytic converter
  • Must have at least one muffler
  • Engine reliability > 0
  • Vehicle reliability > 0
  • Safety at least 33
  • $12 000 or less target price (visible in the Market tab)
  • Vehicle must be saleable (Competitiveness > 0 in at least one market segment) in Fruinia in 1994
(I believe Competitiveness > 0 in Fruinia will be satisfied if all other criteria are satisfied.)

If an entry is ineligible for any reason, I will post to that effect in the thread. Corrections I can do trivially on my end (e.g. "redline should be 7700 RPM", "sorry, please use the v2 trim in the .zip file as my entry") are free; otherwise, I allow up to two revisions of any nature for any reason prior to the deadline. (If you send me an ineligible revision to an eligible entry, I will keep the eligible entry, but it will still count toward the revision limit.)

Scoring:

In each scored criterion, a car's value will be equal to:
  Code:
 this - worst
-------------- * (criterion value)
 best - worst

So, for example, if the best Utility of the field were 50, the worst 10, and Utility were valued at $4000, then a car with a Utility of 34 would have a value of $2400 for that criterion.

(Edit: Utility is not valued at $4000. Utility is valued at $0. Do not optimize for Utility.)

The final score of a given car is equal to the sum of the values for each criterion minus the running costs in Fruinia and 15% of the target price.* In other words, the net value of the car over and above the cost of ownership.

* 15% here represents an annualized version of the purchase price, assuming the car is owned for five years and then resold.

The scored criteria are:
  • 15% of Total Cost (flat deduction, as above)
  • Running Costs in Fruinia (flat deduction, as above)
  • Wheelspin (higher = better)
  • Limited-Slip Differential (Open & Manual Locker = 0, Automatic Locker = 0.75, Viscous LSD & Geared LSD = 1)
  • Rear-Wheel Drive (AWD = 0.5, FWD = 0, 4x4 scored as if 2WD option were selected)
  • Quarter Mile Speed (not time)
  • Prestige
  • Sportiness
  • Drivability
  • Number of Seats (max 6 scored)
  • Cargo Volume
  • Comfort
For this competition, each of these criteria is worth $1000 except LSD, which is worth $500. Values for criteria will be read from the .lua files for added precision.

Final scores and parenthetical comments will be given for all cars; the top three will be compared in review format.

Entry Format:

Please name your vehicle in Automation as follows:
  • Model name: Hoon-[username]-[anything]
  • Trim name: [anything]
  • Family name: Hoon-[username]-[anything]
  • Variant name: [anything]
(You may abbreviate or misspell your username so long as you are unambiguous.)

Entries should be submitted in folderized .zip files, as can be generated by the Export function of the game. Include in the PM with your entry:
  • The name of your car company, with favored abbreviation if desired (e.g. "Packbat Auto Works (PAW)")
  • The name of the vehicle submitted for review (e.g. "Pteropus GT")
  • Any other information about your entry you think I should know (e.g. "GT stands for 'Goodbye, Tyres'")
The deadline is 11:59:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, November 18th.

Accepted Entries

• Packbat - PAW Pteropus GT (reference only)
  • thecarlover - Solo Loon XS
  • TheTom - AMW Rooster
  • Leonardo9613 - Baltazar Quark 1.6 EX
  • Riso - 1993 Riso Motors SHX
  • strop - MM Excelsior Rosso Corsa
  • Sebesseg - Heisler Kardhal Sargossa 323 T/S
  • Madrias - Storm Automotive Savage TT
  • nialloftara - Centauri Commune Neutrino FX
  • oppositelock - GSI Dingo
  • koolkei - Komodo Motors Cavaro Fox
  • Lordred - LHE Astonish X4PE-Lite

Results

Last edited by Packbat on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:31 am, edited 22 times in total.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:27 am

Re: Hoon Competition (1994)

Is high or low wheelspin the better one, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but just making sure.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

Packbat

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:09 am

Yes, high wheelspin is better - I'll edit to clarify.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:50 pm

"So, for example, if the best Utility of the field were 50, the worst 10, and Utility were valued at $4000, then a car with a Utility of 34 would have a value of $2400 for that criterion."

i still don't understand this part........ where does the value of the 'best value' and 'worst value' comes from??

and 15% of the target price means, 15% * Sales price. right?
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Sliding scale based on what we makes, it's the best and worst entry's score.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

koolkei

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:29 pm

nialloftara wrote:Sliding scale based on what we makes, it's the best and worst entry's score.

ohhhhhhh ok then

i'll try to do a quick design
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:45 am

koolkei wrote:"So, for example, if the best Utility of the field were 50, the worst 10, and Utility were valued at $4000, then a car with a Utility of 34 would have a value of $2400 for that criterion."

i still don't understand this part........ where does the value of the 'best value' and 'worst value' comes from??

As nialloftara said, these would be the best and worst values of the entries I've received. Basically, it doesn't matter what the maximum or minimum theoretical values are - car shoppers are going to judge vehicles compared to the best and worst they've seen.

and 15% of the target price means, 15% * Sales price. right?

Correct.

Looking forward to your entry!
<<

koolkei

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:30 am

Packbat wrote:As nialloftara said, these would be the best and worst values of the entries I've received. Basically, it doesn't matter what the maximum or minimum theoretical values are - car shoppers are going to judge vehicles compared to the best and worst they've seen.

Correct.

Looking forward to your entry!

okay. makes sense

it's not a quick design afterall.....
compromise between cargo and utility with everything else.....

a lot of question.

since the price limit is the of the sale price..... will there be any extra points is i get it under $12k?
also. it's on 0% margin right? if i do get some points, based on what? the biggest margin i can get while still keeping it under $12k?

you said 0.5 score for AWD. im guessing 1 for RWD. but since i kinda derped and skipped that...... what's the point for FWD? i just tried to make 3 cars, all of em FWD.
<<

Packbat

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:13 am

koolkei wrote:it's not a quick design afterall.....
compromise between cargo and utility with everything else.....

Aagh, sorry - no points for utility. Utility is not a scored statistic. I'll add a note to the OP.

since the price limit is the of the sale price..... will there be any extra points is i get it under $12k?

15% of the sale price is deducted from your score, so each $100 under the limit is effectively $15 added to your score (all else being equal).

also. it's on 0% margin right?

Yes, 0% markup. I couldn't figure out a good way to reward marking up the list price (or a good way to calculate minimum required markups), so I didn't.

you said 0.5 score for AWD. im guessing 1 for RWD. but since i kinda derped and skipped that...... what's the point for FWD? i just tried to make 3 cars, all of em FWD.

It's 1 for RWD and 0 for FWD. FWD was still pretty competitive in my experiments, though - FWD drivetrains are a lot cheaper.

(Edit: Adding a note on that, too.)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:46 am

This is a post purely to remind myself that I need to enter this because BURNOUT.
<<

koolkei

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:09 pm

so if i do FWD......i get zero points for the drive train...

i designed this, and almost posted this......
last night..... but then a power outage, so. fuckit and i went to sleep.
and came back to that post above....

sooooooo
where's the trash bin again?

well here's my 3rd and maybe best design.
keep in mind. things i threw out the window:
- wheelspin (<5%)
- RWD
- quarter mile speed
- cargo volume
- comfort

and just focus on everything else

Presenting the CAVARO FOX

with it's puny 2 liter 4 banger. it starts it's conquest to conquer hooniverse. it's not a car you would hoon for the speed. it's also not a car you would hoon for the pure thrills
it's a car for everyone. ricers, amateur racer, professional racer on special leagues, but it's also a practical everyday driver with super forgiving driving dynamics. truly the do-it-all hatchback for it's class

alsoooooo
manual vs automatic???
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:42 pm

So, uh, I decided I'd try making a turbo car out of the not-Alfa body.

It's damn hard making a turbo car for 12k or less, even in 1994. I ended up having to cut the quality of just about everything so reliability and general build quality is kind of shit.

...my god, I made an Alfa.
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:06 pm

I chose the Opel Calibra-ish body which is big. That's why I had to go for pretty cheap options almost everywhere... even under the bonnet, unless we're talking about capacity :D
<<

Packbat

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:06 am

@koolkei: The styling on the Cavaro Fox is pretty sweet, but I can understand your decision to start over.
koolkei wrote:alsoooooo
manual vs automatic???

Manual vs. automatic is not scored. (Maybe it should be, but it isn't.) Pick that however you see fit.

I should be clear: the ten criteria listed in the OP, plus Fruinia running costs and total price, are the only factors that go into my scoring spreadsheet. I know sometimes people forget to list all the relevant criteria, but I want to be absolutely clear that that is not the case here. If it isn't listed in the Scoring section of the ruleset, it doesn't affect your score.
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Presenting the 1994 Solo Loon XS! Perfect for the hoon in everyone.

I had to choose between burnouts or decent acceleration. Let's just say the tires will have to be frequently replaced...
Last edited by thecarlover on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions