FAQ  •  Login

Man With a Van Challenge! (Second Review)

<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Re: Man With a Van Challenge! (23-6 Revealed)

Might as well show mine.
Attachments
MWAV-Madrias-Storm Courier - Courier V6-3.png
MWAV-Madrias-Storm Courier - Courier V6-3.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4889 times
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Leonardo9613 wrote:Okay. I was writing a big text on balance of challenges and stuff, but whatever. TL,DR would be, no one cares about one single thing, and van owners and drivers care a lot about fuel and service costs, as those basically eat away their earnings.

You know, leo, I agree with you. It didn't seem right to submit a van with horrendous fuel econony and expect to do well, given real life considerations. But I saw the rules and the balance stipulated and, surprise surprise, built something for those rules. In fact this would be a challenge that doesn't fall prey to Max's earlier response to certain past challenges (which I'm heavily paraphrasing): that price and economy are valued more highly than stated.

Perhaps we could generate a more transparent calculation by actually using the cargo and utility values offset by the actual running costs etc. That could be a useful discussion for future challenges, but would have been more useful for this challenge if one had discussed that before submitting :P
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Man With a Van Challenge! (Calculating Results)

DoctorNarfy wrote:14. Boss-Brute- The Quickest and fastest van Held up well as a utility vehicle, but could not keep up with
the regular car qualities.

What are regular car qualities? Why do they matter with a cargo van?
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 am

strop wrote:
You know, leo, I agree with you. It didn't seem right to submit a van with horrendous fuel econony and expect to do well, given real life considerations. But I saw the rules and the balance stipulated and, surprise surprise, built something for those rules. In fact this would be a challenge that doesn't fall prey to Max's earlier response to certain past challenges (which I'm heavily paraphrasing): that price and economy are valued more highly than stated.

Perhaps we could generate a more transparent calculation by actually using the cargo and utility values offset by the actual running costs etc. That could be a useful discussion for future challenges, but would have been more useful for this challenge if one had discussed that before submitting :P

that is why i suggested to add something

that is, a people's choice award. open up all the vans to public, make a strawpoll, let the people choose which are best.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:19 am

strop wrote:Perhaps we could generate a more transparent calculation by actually using the cargo and utility values offset by the actual running costs etc. That could be a useful discussion for future challenges, but would have been more useful for this challenge if one had discussed that before submitting :P

That is true, however, I didn't think it would be necessary to question the formulas used beforehand.

I have made quite a complex formula that uses several parameters, however, it is a pain in the arse to fill and it doesn't work properly in other computers I tried.
I've no problem with people coming up with formulas of their own, if they work well. But just using a weighed mean is, honestly, one of the worst ways to do this, and the reason why costs usually are too important, because people often divide the mean by the costs, meaning that a small cost difference can become overly important.
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:39 am

koolkei wrote:
strop wrote:

that is why i suggested to add something

that is, a people's choice award. open up all the vans to public, make a strawpoll, let the people choose which are best.

SHHHHHHHH YOU'LL RUIN THE- I guess it's already too late for that huh. :lol: There will be a people's choice, after the winners reviews.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:42 am

KLinardo wrote:
DoctorNarfy wrote:14. Boss-Brute- The Quickest and fastest van Held up well as a utility vehicle, but could not keep up with
the regular car qualities.

What are regular car qualities? Why do they matter with a cargo van?

I meant more on the topic of drivability, economy, comfort, etc. These vans should not only be good fat what they do, but easy to use.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:16 am

DoctorNarfy wrote:I meant more on the topic of drivability, economy, comfort, etc. These vans should not only be good fat what they do, but easy to use.

haha.... btw good fat??? :)

anyway. please to this again. with different themes and build year this time around.
maybe pickup trucks? jeeps? SUVs? anyone else up for it? :)
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:09 am

Wait......... complaints about my tire choice but not my BRAKE choice??? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! My van has 4 wheel drums at -7 quality :P still can stop in under 150ft though :D

EDIT: I am going to do a mini "review" of my van though because I think it is interesting.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:55 am

About fuel.

In the states, the avg 1-ton cargo van gets 11mpg.

For reference.
ID: 1963886
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:13 am

Really? Never would have guessed. Where did you get that statistic? I just my stats on vans like the transit connect.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:22 am

Lordred wrote:About fuel.

In the states, the avg 1-ton cargo van gets 11mpg.

For reference.

The vans here usually get 2-3 litres diesel engines, with 120-160 hp. They can carry around 1800 kg and yet get over 10 km/l (under 10 l/100 km, or 23.5 MPG US, 30 UK MPG).
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:43 am

Real world experience. Just had to rent an E450 which was equipped with a 6.8l V10. We hauled 6700lb pof stuff in it. Maintaining 55mph and driving gingerly netted me 11.6mpg.

Then there are all the studio accounts and equipment shops we have out here, the avg 1ton rated peice of equipment out here gets about 11mpg all said and done

Now 1/2 ton equipment is pushing 22-25mpg now adays.
<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 am

Lordred wrote:Real world experience. Just had to rent an E450 which was equipped with a 6.8l V10. We hauled 6700lb pof stuff in it. Maintaining 55mph and driving gingerly netted me 11.6mpg.

Then there are all the studio accounts and equipment shops we have out here, the avg 1ton rated peice of equipment out here gets about 11mpg all said and done

Now 1/2 ton equipment is pushing 22-25mpg now adays.

I guess my van would count as a Heavy Duty van because I'm much closer to the E450.
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:51 am

That is what I was building for as well. A HD van. If I knew he wanted a LD van, I would have built that.
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions