Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:03 am

Re: Sports Car Revolution {CLOSED}

Znopresk Marlin group can into sportiness! \o/
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 am

Actually, now I'm curious.

"The Storm Surge is a unique car that has sporty looks, but fail to deliver being the 2nd least sporty in-test and by far the slowest."

Who built the car less sporty than a heavy, cumbersome modern muscle-car-lookalike given half an engine? I'm not surprised I made the slowest car, not even surprised I'm second to last, but I was not expecting that. Had to read it again because I originally missed '2nd' when I first read it and thought I had the least sporty and the slowest.

Either way, I had fun, and I learned something: Perhaps it's best to practice making better engine designs before throwing a car into a challenge. Or at least, if it's a sports car challenge, give up my fuel efficiency for crap's sake and just build a car that goes fast.
<<

DoctorNarfy

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: My Chevy Cavalier is gone. I am Carless.

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 am

I don't know how my car wasn't one of the slowest, It's Powered by a 2.3 Liter V6 that makes in and around 250 Horsepower.

Screenshot (37).png
Screenshot (37).png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 6593 times

Maybe it's the Weight Savings? My car was probably uncomfortable because It weighs 2700 Pounds and I had to chop weight, not only to make it more sporty, but also for fuel efficiency.
"Wisdom is a circle, what you receive, you must give back." -Vert Wheeler
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None right now.

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Well, the least powerful car had 160+ HP. That might account for something.
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
Rennen. Perfection in Performance.™
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:51 pm

I'll admit, I had the car with 167 horsepower. May have put too much focus on the miles per gallon, because my final design ended up with 44 MPG. Should probably have gone back in and given it a whole extra lump of fuel and boost and compression to make it actually, you know, fast.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:47 pm

What bothers me is that the car may be quite light on the equipment, yes, and have polymer panels, yes, but the 354hp hot hatch I submitted has nearly the same fuel economy as my real life daily drive Civic... around about 30mpg.

Since it isn't going to get a review, I'll provide the numbers that matter :P (from a sports car journo point of view, anyway): the Armada Fore Gen. IV "Superlite" develops 354bhp going to the front wheels through a 5 speed manual and electric LSD, hauling its super light 1071kg (dry weight) from 0-100km/h in 5.1s, to the quarter mile in 12.9s @ 194km/h, onto a top speed of 277km/h, aided by fancy trick active flaps. It's hardly comfortable (20.1), and probably falls flat in prestige (only 21.2), and its service costs are a bit steeper (costing me 1 penalty increment), so it is probably a little bit too hardcore for the average hot hatch punter. But for total costs of 11968, it hustles rather well, doing the AT track in 2:20.88, Airfield in 1:22.85, and Green Hell in 8:06.26 (which, on the flying lap config that I've modded, will yield the coveted sub 8 minute time).

Notwithstanding cars that significantly broke the budget, I'm willing to bet that it will be the fastest FWD around the track here, if not the in the entire comparison.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Similar to Strops proclamation.

The 2015 Comstar X4F-SX4 is a special Anniversary model to celebrate the 50 years the Comstar has been in production. Part of the 50th anniversary program was to re-release a sports version like the original had in the 60s. This was accomplished by joining LHEs big block SX-Mod series single row engine to the vehicle, rather than the long proven X-Mod.

The X4F is the Sixth-Generation Comstar, featuring un-equal length double A-arm suspension front and back, AHS Steel construction chassis, and most importantly the the SX4-M P-Series with a ECM tune to give economy similar to the E-Series.

The 3105 pound (wet) RWD X4F-SX4 is geared in such a way that the 210hp, 2.7L Inline-4 has no issues taking the vehicle from 0-62mph in 6.8 seconds, and passing the 1/4 mile mark in 15.06 seconds. The ride is fairly comfortable, though like the originial X4A-1900S the interior is simple.

The Vehicle is able to make the Automation test circuit in 2:35, and has a total cost of 11,590.
ID: 1963886
<<

oppositelock

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Argh, fourth place, so close. Here's the specs for the GSI Tarantula.

<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Very happy and surprised to be in the top 3 for this one! Looking forward to the reviews!
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:31 am

Just wondering how the reviews are coming, and if you have a tentative ETA for the reveal?
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:59 am

Here's the first car review: Presented by Rennen Automotive.
Our photoshoot will be released once all the reviews are finished!

Centauri Rapier RS
3rd place
The unique and interesting Rapier is a car that makes a statement: A big one. With intricate styling that’ll turn all the heads, and a soundtrack that muscle car enthusiasts will love, the Centauri will definitely stand out in a crowd. However, in this test, none of this matters.

The Centauri had one of the biggest if not the biggest engine in the test; a 4.6L V8. However, this is highly tuned to be economical, and has a broad powerband with lots of torque. Therefore, it makes power that would reasonable in the mid 1980’s. However, Centauri’s tuning still makes it feel less like a turbocharged 4-cylinder and just like the ‘Murican V8 you’d all be hoping for. With 278 lb-ft at 2400 RPM, the Rapier surges along when you step on it, rather than hitting you in the face. Even with a meager 6000 RPM redline, you know this engine’s special.

Thanks to an all-aluminum body, even with a huge engine, the Centauri only weighs in at little more than 2400 pounds/1090 kgs. It weighs less than a last-generation Mazda Miata dripping wet. This combination creates a car that can zip from 0-62 MPH in 5.6 seconds and drive the ¼ mile in 13.86 seconds. Both these numbers are average in this test, but the noise that comes out of the exhaust helps add to the drama of the car. However, when out on the road, the Rapier shines, with great handling and immense grip, both of which are well above average. Handling is very neutral, with only a little oversteer on corner exit. The brakes are some of the best in this test. Overall, handling is a dream with this car, supported by its’ great engine.

Although this car isn’t supremely practical, with 2 seats and a smaller general size, it doesn’t prevent this car from being somewhat comfortable. It’s a quiet car until you hit 4000 RPM, in which a high-tech exhaust opens up and lets the engine scream. Having a V8, it also is quite a smooth car, which is useful considering the car’s short wheelbase. The interior of the Rapier is quite drab and plastic, but at least its good quality plastic. There’s every computer aid that you want or need, nix the Launch Control.

The one part of this car that truly shot it in a podium finish was the cost. The Centauri was about $2,000 cheaper than the competition, which is absolutely absurd. Fuel economy was also quite good. We averaged 33.4 MPG in mixed driving. Even with a complex and costly V8, the Centauri was still one of the cheaper cars to service. All of these things combined led the Rapier into a 3rd place finish.
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:08 am

Re: Sports Car Revolution {First review}

Well I made the podium at least :) and with a glowing review like that I'm sure we will be moving plenty of units off the showroom floor. Thanks for the excellent challenge titleguy.
Here's a full reveal of the stats.
Attachments
2015-08-22_00008.jpg
2015-08-22_00008.jpg (301.27 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
2015-08-22_00006.jpg
2015-08-22_00006.jpg (371.7 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
2015-08-22_00005.jpg
2015-08-22_00005.jpg (277.17 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Here's the second car review: Presented by Rennen Automotive.

BMMA Blue Marlin GT-Sprint
2nd place
BMMA has made a truly wonderful sportscar here. The Blue Marlin is light and fun to drive, but takes it seriously on the track. Let’s see how well it performed in this comparison.

The BMMA packs an all-aluminum, naturally aspirated Inline-6 engine producing 298 HP and 266 lb-ft. The engine itself is a dream, with power up high and torque down low, while also producing a decently economical car. Similar to the Centauri, the engine surges with power, and is smooth all the way to the 7400 RPM redline. The powerband is strong all the way through, and there are no points in which the power drops off. The engine is one of the strong points in the car.

The Blue Marlin is composed entirely from aluminum, which drops weight to a svelte 2738 lbs/1242 kgs. This, 298 HP, and meaty 325/35 rear tires combined help propel the Marlin to 62 MPH in a meager 4.6 seconds, fastest in test. The ¼ mile is dealt with in 12.9 seconds at 112 MPH, which is tied for the quickest in the test with the Armada Fore and the Riso SE115.The BMMA also has the shortest stopping distance in the test, stopping from 62-0 in only 99 feet 2 inches. On the backroads, though, the Marlin is one of the best cars to use. With light but communicative steering, you can throw this car around corners with only a little oversteer on corner exit. And, when all the aids have been turned off, and you press on the accelerator, the car transitions into a beautiful slide that will impress all of your friends. Even then, the car had the 2nd highest grip levels in the test, only being beat out by the ultra-hardcore Armada Fore. The Marlin is the definition of a sportscar- and even more so than the rest of the cars we see here today.

With all the praise the BMMA has gotten so far, you may be wondering: Why is this only second? Well, now you know: This car was the single least practical car we had today, period. Although it was one of the easier cars to drive in this test, and could lug many things around, it lacked a rear seat, even with the (figuratively) large size. While the trunk/boot was OK in size, it was beat out by most of the other competitors.

Most of the competitors in the test got very close to our budget; this was no exception. In fact, the Marlin was the most expensive car here, although not by much. Because of this, we didn’t care too much about what the difference was although it did make a small impact. Reliability is set to look good, and we averaged a good 30.4 MPG in mixed driving. The Marlin was pretty expensive to insure, but it wasn’t anything absurd. All the virtues and downfalls of this car led it into a 2nd-place finish.
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:17 pm

The final review of the SCR competition: Presented by Rennen Automotive.

Astana Lynx 2.8L Sport
1st place

The Astana Lynx has something that all the competitors in the class lack: conformity. Everything about this car is not exceptional; however, overall, it is a very pleasant experience and because of every part of this car being well-made, landed it to first place. Let’s go into detail.

The heart of the Lynx is an all-aluminum 2.8L Inline-6, with 252 HP @7500 RPM and 195 HP @5200 RPM. Being a 6-cylinder, the engine was extremely smooth, smoother than the BMMA’s. Power swells with revs, and lower revs aren’t great for driving, as all power is up top. It reminds our review team of the high-power engine from a Honda S2000. The 8000 RPM redline helps add to the dramatic climax of power, which, when you peak, is intoxicating. While not the most powerful car, the engine was still very nice in the Lynx.

When you buy the Lynx, don’t expect a lot of physical mass from the car. Weighing in at 2,495 lbs/1,132 kgs, the Lynx is a light car, thanks to aluminum bodywork. When you combine this with a 7-speed sequential transmission and the engine, the Astana flies through the 0-62 MPH in 5.2 seconds and the ¼ mile in 13.38 @111 MPH. Both figures are above average, and certainly are enough for everyday driving. From 62-0 MPH, braking takes 111 feet. While still decent, it is on the longer side of the test. When you feel like driving on the winding mountain roads, the Lynx does not disappoint. All of the assists you can dream of is in this car, even launch control. Steering is light, responsive, and predictable. When you push it hard, it gracefully drifts and is easy to catch back. Sporty yet controllable, the Astana Lynx is very good on road and on track.

As with many cars in the test, the lynx is a 2-seater coupe with a less-than ideal car for your Costco needs. The Lynx was also able to lug around a lot of weight, even if it wasn’t a lot of volume. Again, the trunk was a fair size, but beat out by many other competitors.
Like the Rapier, this car was cheaper compared to the others. The difference was great; it was the second cheapest car in test. So far, the Astana appears to not break down with current owners. Fuel economy is a whopping 37.3 MPG, which was 2nd best in test. Insurance is cheap, and owners don’t worry about routine maintenance. Thanks to it being the jack of all trades, the Lynx beat out all its competitors.

Thanks for keeping up with this competition, and I thank all of our participants! Thank you, and goodbye!
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Sports Car Revolution {Final review -FINISHED}

Thanks for the challenge and the reviews Titleguy!
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions