FAQ  •  Login

8-Track Tape 1966 [Reviews]

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 am

Re: 8-Track Tape 1966 [Results] (V6 Challenge)

Riso wrote:Strop you gotta focus on making sports cars. It's what you are meant to do.

On occasion I feel compelled to branch out and dabble in other markets... and even possibly do it well. I don't want to be just a one trick pony!

But the need for POWAAAAAA does always stymie my efforts a little. And even if it isn't power, I do tend to tune my cars to go fast...
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 am

NoahC wrote:Next time, I will put on door handles if you keep the price of a gallon of gas constant ;)

Why that? Gas isnt constant in the real world, you always pay different prices for different grades of fuel.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:06 am

Reviews go up tonight after I get off work.
ID: 1963886
<<

BlastersPewPew

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:27 am

You gotta work on a Sunday? Holiday weekend no less? :(
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 pm

BlastersPewPew wrote:You gotta work on a Sunday? Holiday weekend no less? :(

There are a lot of operations that are 24/7/365. I work in such an industry.

(Except for food service, the vast bulk of us either get at LEAST time and a half, and it's not uncommon to get PTO concessions either. Last place I worked if you worked a holiday you got double and a half, plus 8 hours of PTO to use later)

But I digress.
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Home, and going to get the creative juices flowing......

Right after I relax a little :)

Expect reviews prior to midnight PST

Edit:

Running late due to phone calls from earlier in the evening, and general distractions from later in the evening. I am nearly finished writing and will sleep on it so I can proof read in a more aware state of mind.

New ETA: Before noon 7/6/15 Pacific Standard Time.
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:36 am

8-Track Tape, the quest for the ideal Family Saloon.

Here we are half way through the year and the manufactures are out in sport trying to fill a new gap in the market. A family saloon which features premium sound, room for the kids, just enough pep not to bore father to death, and a price tag to keep everyone happy. Its nice to see that not all family cars have to be guzzling behemoths, as the range we will be featuring to day all fit nicely into the midsize category. (Think AMC Ramblers, Ford Falcons, and Chevy II's)

In to days lineup we feature five different cars from all over the world, which all go about the same thing in slightly different ways. It is refreshing to see such a strong focus placed on creature comforts in affordable mid sized cars.

First Impressions:

The first car we un boxed was the Austrian made FS125 from Riso Motors, featuring a 152cid overhead Twin-Cam 60 degree V6 which delivers an adequate 131hp. From the front, one can hardly tell that the car is European, the FS125 has a sort of utilitarian look to it.

The second car we looked over was the Sofa, made by FMC over in Portugal, which housed a slightly larger, yet less powerful 160cid which relied on a single overhead camshaft and produced 116hp. While having a similar body to the Riso, the FMC had an entirely different look to the front with a more sloping front and larger grill area.

Our third car was the Astana Taurus, made over in the Netherlands. The Taurus has a very European look to it from the front, with large tempered glass headlamp covers over deeply recessed bulbs, and an aggressive presence. This model featured a 152cid single overhead cam engine which delivers 121hp.

For our fourth installment we have a car that we did not initially like, the jointly build Desert Motors Metro, which was a US/Japan collaboration. The Metro is boxy, and is only equipped with a diminutive 85cid pushrod motor which lets loose with a thunderous 57.3hp.

The final car on our list was the Australian made NMC K-Type 500GT, which we must say we favored, as it was the classiest looking car in this review (professionalism be damned). The K-Type featured both the largest, and most powerful of the engines in our five cars, displacing 200cid, and bringing 137hp to the table from a pushrod motor.

Driving:

Once I got the cars on the road, it was clear very early which of the vehicles was the tamest of the bunch, from the get go I had expected the Metro to be the most forgiving, and it did not disappoint. Thanks to its anemic 85 inch engine, it never surprised me, but that inst a bad thing here. The ride was surprisingly smooth, the power assist on the steering was quite light, and the 5 speed syncromesh was very easy to deal with. The interior was very comfortable, Desert Motors had opted to use a good high quality vinyl for the seats, and all the gauges were highly viable featuring prominent display of their Nippon Denso heritage. The AM/8-Track player provided high quality sound throughout the cab and was never under threat of being overtaken by road noise or the vehicles own engine. For familys which have to deal with dirt roads to get to and from home, will be happy to know that the Metro handles dirt roads with great ease.

On the other end of the spectrum, the K-Type was notably less tame, the front of the vehicle bounces for days once you hit a bump, which is not very confidence inspiring for an average driver. Though the 200 inch V6 gets you down the road a good bit quicker then the Metro, NMC decided to fill the car with a rather average seating arrangement, while much roomier then its competition, that extra room leaves you feeling stiff on longer drives, as the seats are just not up to the same level of quality as the others. The K-Type came equipped with a 4 speed square cut syncromech which provides excellent response but can whine at higher speeds. Steering on the K-Type is also an issue, lacking power assist, to keep the steering manageable, NMC incorporated a high ratio steering gear, so lock to lock takes a full 3 ½ turns. For familys which have to deal with dirt roads to get to and from home, the K-Type is adequately equipped for dirt roads, just avoid the sand.

If the Taurus had to be anything, it would be the wild child of our mix-up. Astana set the car up with ample ground clearance, and a set of mushy springs/dampers, but then they threw on a massive pair of anti-roll bars front and back to keep body roll in check, the result is a very level ride in all kinds of driving. To go with its more than ample interrior space, you have well built seats which make longer drives a breeze. The steering is nice, thanks to power assist, and gearbox is also quite nice, though you may be shifting a touch more often then you would like in traffic, due to how closely geared it is. The only thing of worry is the rattling noises which come from the engine as you move towards the end of the power band. For familys which have to deal with dirt roads to get to and from home, the Taurus performs identically to the K-type, both will get you out and back with out issue.

Contending with the Metro for the tamest car is the Riso Motors FS125, this is the most comfortable of the cars featured here today, RM just put that little extra into the interior design, it seats four, but all four seats have adjustable recline, lumbar, and track, cup holders both front, and back, power windows and power locks. The FS125 is indeed fancy. Similar in ride to the Taurus, when in the FS125 you simply glide over the road with both sides of the vehicle moving smoothly, like the norm in this class, the Riso made car features power assist steering, and a manual gearbox. For familys which have to deal with dirt roads to get to and from home, the FS125 may be a car you wish to look over, it fairs worse then its competition in all aspects of driving a dirt road aside from a well maintained one. Just something to think about.

Finally we have the Sofa, from FMC, we would like to start off by saying that we think the premium audio was an afterthought for the vehicle, perhaps used to hide the obnoxious noises that come from the engine if you try to spin it up into the last 700rpm of the power band. That aside it is a very comfortable car, though it is nearly as squirmy as the Taurus when driven faster then cruising speeds. The Sofa benefits from its power assisted steering, and like the others, features a manual gear range. The ride is just as smooth as the FS125, and Taurus, but is ever so slightly more cramp. For familys which have to deal with dirt roads to get to and from home, the Sofa performs just like the K-Type and Taurus, which is to say more then adequate.

Cost to own:

Moving along to another important bit, is how much these vehicles are going go cost you, and then how much they are going to cost you to keep.

Starting with the most expensive of the bunch, is the Taurus. Which has a MSRP of $1,945 which makes it one of the less expensive imports available this year and has a good amount of features. The frame is made using good quality galvanized steel and has a sturdy layer of undercoating protecting all of the bits which may corrode. Between oil changes, and tune ups it is expected to cost a family about $198 to keep the car running in excellent shape. For day to day driving, expect to get 27.5 mpg using Leaded 92.

The Sofa costing a little less has a MSRP of $1,901 but uses mild steel for the frame and bodywork, rust shouldn't be a problem so long as you keep the paint in tact, and if you live in an area which salts the roads it would be a good idea to wash the undercarriage. But if you just drive it day in and out, expect problems with the chassis down the road. Expect to pay around $195 a year in maintenance costs, so long as you keep the engine below 5 grand. For day to day driving, expect to get 28 mpg on Leaded 92.

Next the FS125 with an MSRP of $1,894 was blessed with corrosion resistant steel and like the Taurus, had a good even undercoating. This vehicle should have little issues with rust in snow areas or in places which have lots of precipitation. Oil changes and general maintenance will only cost a projected $191 a year. For day to day driving, expect to get 25.9 mpg using Leaded 92.

Nearing the end of our list, the K-Type which has an MSRP of $1,748 sounds like a good deal, but keep in mind that just like the Sofa, this car features plain steel for its body work and chassis. If taken care of rust will not be an issue for you, but should you ignore it you might find your K-Type may not be around for as long as you want. Between oil changes and general maintenance, expect to pay $178 a year. For day to day driving, expect to get 24.6 mpg using Leaded 92, the lowest of the group.

On the bottom of our list is the Metro which snakes in well below the others on cost, with a low MSRP of $1,639 you would expect them to have saved that money in important areas. Amazingly the Metro has a galvanized steel chassis, as well as an aluminum body. We expect there to be Metros laying around for decades in fields, junkyards, and even being driven. If I were to be so bold, I would say that this car will not rust. The other thing diminutive about the Metro, besides the motor is its expected maintenance costs, which are projected to be around $145 a year. For day to day driving, expect to get 31.9 mpg on low grade 80.

Space and Cargo:

The K-Type has 126.4cuft of space for the passengers, but only has room for 11.6cuft of cargo.

The Taurus has 104.3cuft of space for the passengers, and has room for 28.2cuft of cargo.

The Sofa has 102.4cuft of space for the passengers, and has room for 26.3cuft of cargo.

The FS125 has 101.9cuft of space for the passengers, and has has room for 26.3cuft of cargo.

The Metro has 82.9cuft of space for the passengers, but only has room for 7.1cuft of cargo.

Ranking:

Ranked 5th in this review is the FMC Sofa, scoring a 1.073 on our scoring metric which is a good above average score.

Ranked 4th is the Riso Motors FS125, scoring a 1.074 on our scoring metric, it was very close to the Sofa, but in the end was just slightly better.

Ranked 3rd is the NMC K-Type 500GT, scoring a 1.083 on our scoring metric. A well earned place for this machine.

Ranked 2nd is the Astana Taurus, scoring a 1.107 on our scoring metric. We feel if Astana has made the car just a little more reliable, and a little easier to drive, it might have taken first.

Finally the car we deem best in class, is the Desert Motors Metro, earning a 1.167 on our scoring metric. It may be smaller then the others, but due to its very high reliability, protection against rust, ease of handling, and high comfort. This is a great little family saloon.

Thank you all for entering, and I look forward to seeing you on the next one.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:53 am

WOO!!!!!!! I am honestly SHOCKED............. 4 wheel drums, very low HP OHV, low quality gas, leaf sprung rear, I never imagined making the top 5 much less the top place!! I would like to thank Lordred for running this amazing challenge and also everyone else that entered, these would not be as fun if there wasnt the community behind it to keep them going. Never give up on getting that top 5 or 1st place, I have been trying for a long time now and it finally worked! Keep it up and above all HAVE FUN!!
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:04 am

Congrats to Desert Motors for the win. Astana is happy about the outcome of the challenge. One thing though, eventhough Desert Motors won legit, I personally feel that it would not really be realistic in real life if anyone would make a V6 with such low power. One would go Inline 4 in that case. We can in this game, it just doesn't make sense from a manufacturer's point of view. Ok, enough said about that, congrats Blasters.

Also Blasters, you probably won due to the relatively low costs of the car and high reliability. Those are important of course!

Funny that most cars were coloured red btw.
<<

8bs

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:38 am

Congrats to all competitors!

And thanks Lordred for this great challenge. It was fun and impeccably hosted. Great reviews! Hoping for more!! :)
<<

Therax

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1993 Nissan 240SX
1996 Mazda Miata MX-5
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 am

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to Lordred for running such a refreshing challenge! It's fascinating to see a Japanese econobox top the list with such a unique blend of features.

Tycondero, I'm digging the suicide rear doors on the Taurus. BlastersPewPew, I'd love to hear more of the backstory on your car. When you say it's a Japan/US collaboration, would that make it a captive import or a true two-party engineering collaboration? What would the Japanese domestic market version have looked like, and would it have carried the same V6?

I still wonder whether Orion Motors should have submitted the Euro-spec version of the Ceres with a 5-speed floor shift rather than the oddball American market version. A Powerglide 2-speed automatic — mounted transversely because Automation's FWD models are a bit weird — together with a super tall external overdrive unit made for nearly 26 mpg, but IIRC give up a solid 3 seconds on the quarter-mile to the home market model. Let's not talk about the Americanized suspension setup. :) On the whole I'm very pleased to have beaten the average with a car inspired by relatively unsuccessful European oddballs like the Lancia Flaminia and the Citroen DS. Were any other submitted models FWD?
<<

Lordred

1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:16 am

Tycondero could have overtaken the much less expensive Metro from Blasters, if his reliability was higher, that was his crux.

I'm glad you are all happy with the reviews. My next one is going to be different, I need to contact some people. :twisted:
Previous

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions