<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Out of Africa Challenge [Results]

Oskiinus wrote:
Meh. Maybe the trunk was too big. But hey, can't I be happy, do I have to meet the person that destroys my fun?
Anyway, 2.0 Defender-not wasn't released before this competition, so my car and it's capacity is legit, hyeh.

It was just slightly too large, the cargo area is still quite big.

I mean, it's like a very tall hatchback, so OFC the cargo area will be large :D
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:30 am

z2bbgr wrote:Yay!!!! 9th Place!!!!! First time that I've got in top 10!!!!
Let's put the comfort aside....... yup, SBA decided to paint only 2 layers, Primer and Basic colour. The seats are made from (extra cheap) local Vinyl. Will it last? Let's see for 3 years and hope not get bitten by Big cats over there.

Yes, and it showed :D. Must say that when writing all of this I frequently still laugh about it. The interior is really terrible, especially the quality of it. Basic interior is bad as it is, but with extreme negative quality things go from bad to worse. Then again, in this challenge comfort wasn't all that important. The most important thing is to have a car that can drive and preferably a cheap reliable one that lasts for a while (retains value). All other things help to make the car stand out more from those other economical budget cars.

Still think that even about 5500 dollars to build such a car would be too much for Africa. I mean I guess that would sell for maybe 7000 dollars if you would go for mass-production. Still a lot of money for the average African. At least shopkeepers should be able to afford it some countries (I hope).
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:40 am

Was I the only 2-door car?
ID: 1963886
<<

Shaded009

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:46 am

Exactly in the place I expected to be, but feeling very happy that I managed to make a car do 301km/h within the rules we had :D
<<

Madrias

Cars: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:10 am

Ah, I forgot steel is not the way to go. Should have considered other options when trying to make the car a bit cheaper. Like removing the 3-way catalytic from that 2.6L beast of a motor. Or making the engine a little smaller. Still, I'm happy with the results. At least now I know to keep an eye on that corrosion factor.
<<

JasonPoland

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 am

Lordred wrote:Was I the only 2-door car?

I think you may count this as a 2 door
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:17 am

JasonPoland wrote:

I think you may count this as a 2 door

bold and red to help :)
ID: 1963886
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:27 am

Shaded009 wrote:Exactly in the place I expected to be, but feeling very happy that I managed to make a car do 301km/h within the rules we had :D

...I feel an unholy temptation to come up with a Hoon contest, now. High-value stats: engine noise, wheelspin (more = better!), 0-100, quarter-mile, cost-to-own. Low-value: driveability, sportiness, comfort, prestige, safety, reliability. :lol:

Tycondero wrote:PAW Helvum AX: Certainly one of the nicer looking models. Offers average value for money as it is more expensive, but also more durable. Gas bills are cheap for this one, considering its size and class as a station wagon. Offers fair comfort and is overall well made, yet doesn't stand out too much in order to be the great hit that the company hoped it would be for Africa. Still will sell decently no doubt, as it is a safe buy.

Glad you liked the looks! Honestly, if it sells decently in Africa, that'll probably be good enough to earn the Helvum a steady place in PAW's model lineup - and now that I look at the stats more closely, I can see the American model displacing the Pteropus sedan as the brand's primary family hauler. :)
<<

partario

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1998 Ford Focus

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:33 am

BlastersPewPew, Shaded009 and HighOctaneLove also had 2 door cars.
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Here is the Mitsushita Jesta Africa 2.0 AWD.

Almost made it! :)
uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

oppositelock

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Stats for the GSI Kilimanjaro, the tiny car with a big name. Locals prefer to call it "Chakula Kiboko", or "Hippo Snack", although as the VP of GSI's African Division noted, "That only happened once".

<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Top 3 reviews: Elouda’s Lightstar Janus 418A

The Lightstar Janus 418A is the first of the best three cars for the purpose of giving Africa some wheels we will look at in detail. This big car has all the external features of a car that cries off-road. It is relatively big, and spacious. The ladder chassis of this car is made out of corrosion resistant steel and the Janus has a front longitudinal engine. The Janus has MacPerson struts in the front with a Solid Axle Coil in the rear. The body panels are made out of polymers, which might be cheap, but it least those do not corrode and will give you little to no maintenance.

The Janus has an AWD drivetrain and the engine for this fairly big car produces up to 74,6hp. The 1.8L Inline 4 engine itself has simple materials, but relatively modern and effective. It is made out of cast iron with a DOHC and 16 valves in total. Its low friction pistons will help you with your fuel mileage. Due to the fuel situation in Africa it was downgraded a lot compression wise, but it retains a nice cam profile of 30. This ensures 125Nm of power in the lower RPMs. It has fuel injection and a standard intake. Fuel itself is conservatively used in this engine, thereby making it more economical and the ignition time is lower than what you find in most developed world cars. However, this makes the drive less aggressive. The Janus has no catalytic converter and that is of course viable for Africa, but some sort of consideration to the environment would have been nice. Its two baffled mufflers help reduce engine noise a lot and make driving the Janus more pleasant.
The 5-speed manual gearbox with locker function for those off-roading adventures works well and also here overdrive allows for better fuel economy. The tires on the Janus are typical off-roads and rather big compared to its competitors. However, this car is also bigger, so some more surface area for all that weight isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Its relatively large drum brakes are simple, but effective enough to stop the Janus within 41 meters from 100 km/h. The fully clad undertray is a rather strange choice; it costs money and makes maintenance more cumbersome. Furthermore, if the Janus does get stuck next to the road, you first need to take all these off. On the other hand, it will reduce the drag and thus help you financially in the long run.

The car offers basic interior, and of very bad quality I might add. I have seen some cars throughout my time as a reviewer and we surely do not expect much for cars designed to be practical and cheap for Africa, but in this car everything is loose and made out of breakable cheap stuff. The soft plastic dashboard shows holes and can be set in motion with some pressure here and there. Some of the indicators do not seem to work well; though ticking it seems to work. The seats are made mostly from plastic with some sort of thin cloth layer on it that doesn’t seem to last for long. The floor is painted and badly done. However, thanks to its spacious layout the Janus has 6 seats, which ensures you can bring most of your family with only one drive. Entertainment is not there, though there are still cigarette lighters present. Instead this car offers a huge package of driver assists, including power steering, ABS, traction control and even electronic stability and it seems these are of decent quality. Safety on this car is rather dubious; it offers a fair range of safety features on paper, with airbags for the passengers in front and crumple zones throughout the Janus. However, we really doubt whether it is all so durable, it seems more like it offers a lot and tries, but in practice all of these might not work when actually needed. Suspension settings are proper and simple, no fuss there with an emphasis on high ride height and comfort.

Overall conclusion
The Janus is big and over here that is an advantage as it is one of the most practical and spacious cars. It also has 6 seats, which help this car becoming even more useful as a family transporter. For its size the Janus has good fuel mileage at 35.3 US MPG and its 75.7hp Inline 4 engine offers adequate power. 0-100 can be done within 13.5 seconds and the car is rather reliable, even though it has a lot of driver assists on board. The driver assists also help to make this car easy to drive. Comfort is bad though, but the number of seats make a bit up for that. Safety wise we have seen better, as said, the car offers a lot on paper, but whether it really will work when necessary is really doubtful. This car will likely not rust anytime soon either, thanks to the plastic body and service costs are still decent for its size. Overall this makes this car a good buy for those that want reliability, space and an easy ride. The price tag on the Janus is more expensive than many of its closer competitors, but it still offers good value for money and that is what counts in the end.
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Top 3 reviews: Harizvet1’s Infinity Motor QX 10 1.8

The British build Infinity Motor QX 10 1.8 is like the Lightstar Janus a typical terrain type of car, albeit much nicer to look at than the Janus. But can a British car be reliable? The ladder chassis is made out of corrosion resistant steel with a front longitudinal engine and AWD drivetrain. The suspension consists out of a MacPherson in the front and Solid Axle Leaf springs in the back. It has polymer body panels.

The Inline 4 1.8L engine in the Motor QX 10 delivers some 54hp, which is adequate. Basic cast conrods with low friction pistons help fuel economy, whereas the extremely low compression might offset that a bit. The cam profile of 28 ensures that you drive most economical around 1700RPM in the Motor. We can see that some attention was put into the engine, which is nice considering it is designed for Africa. The fuel delivery is through a single point EFI fuel injection system and set to be very conservative with the fuel mixture. Ignition timing is retart, but no-body needs an aggressive economical car here. It has no catalytic converter, which remains one of the things most companies seem to save money on, but it does have two baffled mufflers which ensures the already not so loud engine is even quieter, excellent for safari!

The Motor QX 10, has a 5-speed manual gearbox with manual locker and even power distribution for its AWD. It also features an overdrive to save fuel at higher speeds. Its smaller off-road tires are in line with the size of the car itself. The brake set-up is a bit strange; it features relatively simple drum brakes with comfortable pad types, both in the front and rear, which makes the rear more eager to stop than the front. That also shows in the braking distance, which is more than 45m from 100km/h to full stop. The engine is getting way more than enough cooling, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing in the hot summers of Africa.
The interior of the Motor QX 10, is simple. It has 4 basic seats with simple padding. The dashboard is made out of cheap plastics, but doesn’t wobble so much and all the indicators work. The floor is painted, but at least it has been done properly. The car offers no radio or cassette and only a cigarette lighter is there to attend to your daily addictions. It also has a cup-holder. The car features no thrills in terms of driver assists either, only power steering is provided. In terms of safety the car is a bit outdated, but what it offers is at least functional. Suspension is set-up with basic necessity in mind, everything is there and that’s it. The car tends to understeer, but for most speeds it is fairly well balanced. The ride-height is what you expect from an off-roader like car.

Overall conclusion
The British build Infinity Motor QX 10 1.8 is a simple, yet well-made car. It offers a good drivability and nice gas mileage of 37.8 US MPG. It does 0-100km/h in about 15 seconds, which is somewhat slower, but more than enough for these parts. All of this will really help those looking to buy an economical car. Off-roading is adequate when necessary and even though it is a bit cramped in terms of space it is still spacious enough for 4. Though this car will not be a heavy duty beast, it is certainly up to the task should it present itself. Comfort is low, but at least it is not botch-work. The car is however extremely economical, and this is mostly due to an engine that is simple, but build with care and shows bulletproof reliability. You will not quickly get into problems with the Motor QX 10. In terms of maintenance is it cheap and offers an excellent resistance to environmental wear. Where other cars lie on the scrapyard, this will keep going. Furthermore, it is very cheap to buy as well and that is a big plus for Africa. I am very sure that within the upcoming future thousands of these cars will drive around Africa happily without too many problems. Their owners will certainly smile when they reach their next 100,000 kilometers with this car. The British at Infinity can make cheap reliable cars after all it seems!
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Top 3 reviews: Der Bayer’s BAM P1100 A

The BAM P1100 A from Bavaria in Germany is the last to be reviewed, but that doesn’t mean it is the worst! This car looks nice and it’s a German. So, we expect something here as well. But, can they make cheap cars that are not overly engineered? The P1100 has a similar set-up as the nearest competitors. It offers a ladder chassis with corrosion resistant steel, macpherson struts in the front and a sold axle leaf spring in the rear. Just like the Motor and Janus it has body panels made out of polymers, ensuring lightweight, cheap and a corrosion resistant body. Furthermore, similar to the competition it also has a longitudinal orientated engine under the hood. Some money seems to have been saved on some of the body components though; the headlights still look fine as do the taillights, but we did hear these do sometimes gather moist or stop working. Maybe something BAM should look into.

The drivetrain of the BAM P1100 A is AWD with a 52.3hp Inline 4 8V 1.1L engine, made out of cast iron. It uses a tried push rod head, so at least no German over engineering there. The cast conrods with the low friction pistons ensure again good fuel efficiency. The cam profile of 53 is somewhat sportier and together with a low compression it will still run fine on the worst fuels. Max power is reached around 5800RPM and the engine has a somewhat richer fuel mixture compared to its nearest competitors. It also features a Single Point EFI injection system like the Motor. However, the P1100 A does have fairly normal ignition timing. Just like its nearest competitors it has two baffled mufflers, making the engine quiet.
The 4 speed automatic gearbox with overdrive and manual locker is something we did not expect at first, but it is a pleasant surprise. Power distribution is mostly even, with a slight bias towards the front. The P1100 has off-road tires and relatively small ones as well, with a width of 145mm in the front and rear. This does ensure the car is relatively easy to handle. Brakes are adequate, cheap and simples drums to the front and rear, with fully comfortable breaking pads to match. This ensures a braking distance of 43m, which might not be great, but certainly is good enough. Like the Motor Q 10 1.8 this car has more cooling than deemed necessary for the engine, but that way it will again not easily overheat during the hot African summer. The car hasn’t really been refined at all to decrease drag, so that might impact fuel economy somewhat.

The interior is what you can expect from a cheap car. The P1100 A has 4 seats, with basic plastic features and cheap cloth padding. The dashboard is made out of cheap plastic and has some issues here and there. One of the buttons seems to come off, but you can luckily simply put it back again. The amount of attention put into the refinement of the interior is shocking for a german car, but we have for sure seen much worse and we know it is cheap. The car offers no entertainment features what so ever, except for a small light in the ceiling that can be switched on and off. It does have a fair package in terms of driver assists though: power steering, ABS and Electronic stability are there to help the driver stay on the road, if there is any. Safety is certainly sufficient here. The package might be a bit older technology wise, but many American, Japanese and European cars do not offer much better here usually either. Also we are convinced that the safety is adequate and BAM can surely not be accused for not caring about the safety of the P1100 A’s passengers. Suspension wise this car offers some interesting features, it has progressive springs and a gas mono-tube. The ride-height is as expected off-road type, and any bumps will be decently dampened, especially in the rear.

Overall Conclusion
The BAM P1100 A is a great car, it might not be the most fuel economical compared to its direct competitors with just less than 30 US MPG, but it offers some interesting features elsewhere. Off-roading is adequate with this car, but sure there are those that do better, but also worse. Service costs are low and the car is well protected from the environment. It is not the best heavy duty car around, similar to the Motor QX 10, but it can handle some tasks. Comfort wise, it has more to offer, but could also receive some more attention. Its drivability is great, and actually one of the best I have seen in a while. It doesn’t need to feel inferior to many American and European market cars; in fact it might even do better. Reliability is somewhat lower than its nearest competitors, especially the head and tail lights seem to show issues after some time. The 4 seats are adequate, there are cars with more, but those are usually very big. However, this car does offer excellent value for money. It is not perfect, but no car we have seen is. It does however offer an excellent package of low purchasing price, low service costs with above average fuel economy and good resistance to the environment. Also it is nice to drive, still shows to give its passengers some comfort and is relatively safe if you do not crash above 60km/h or so. Furthermore it has a bit more advanced suspension set-up and has an automatic gearbox, all for a very competitive price. In conclusion the BAM P1100 A, a very pragmatic car that not over-engineered with a touch of german finesse. This car will for sure clog up the roads near Johannesburg. Africa might have found its champion in this one.
Last edited by Tycondero on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Tycondero

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Final Results Comment

Ok, so which one is best now? I leave that conclusion for you all to determine. I will post the final results of the true winner later today or perhaps tomorrow. But for now, after reading the reviews, which car do you think is best?

The large Lightstar Janus? The reliable Infinity Motor? Or the exclusive BAM P1100?
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions