FAQ  •  Login

Touch of Class [1978] [REVIEW POSTED]

<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Touch of Class [1978] [REVIEW POSTED]

A Touch Of Class

***PLEASE BE AWARE, THIS IS A COMMUNITY MOD PACK FRIENDLY CHALLENGE. IF YOU HAVE NOT DOWNLOADED THE COMMUNITY MOD PACK, PLEASE DO SO. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING MODS THAT ARE NOT CONTAINED WITHIN THE COMMUNITY MOD PACK AS THEY MAY RESULT IN REJECTION/REDESIGN.***

And back to 1978 for this one. OH, AND THE COMPETITION IS EXPANDED! I can now accept up to 30 competitors, excluding the benchmark! As a result, there is now a maximum of FIVE cars that can be reviewed.

Well, the muscle car is pretty much dead. Sporty cars have moved, for the most part, to smaller platforms and are running fewer cylinders than before. That's not to say that the day of the V8 is over altogether, but it's just not what it once was. So what to do with the larger 2-door platforms that are left over from the golden age of muscle? Some companies had success converting them to cushy personal cruisers. Thus, the "personal luxury coupe".

There is a secondary prize, beyond bragging rights in this thread. The top 2-5 (depending on total number of entries) competitors will be written up in a head-to-head, magazine-style review!

RULES AND GUIDELINES:
Year: 1978
Body: Any body that can be found using the "Coupe" button (2 door versions only, please!)
Interior: 4 or 5 seats
Tires: 0-quality, must be sport, medium, or hard.
Fuel: Regular Unleaded Only
Exhaust: Must have a catalytic converter and at least one baffled or reverse flow muffler(s). (read as: street legal)
Engine: Maximum of 200 HP. Reliability >0 of course.
Performance: 0-100km (62mph) no slower than 10.0 seconds
Aero: No lips or spoilers at all
Total cost: Unrestricted.

Everything else is fair game!

SCORE WEIGHTING:

There will be a calculation formula similar to the previous competitions I've been running. Weighting will be different this time around, simulating potential buyers' preference for a cushy 2-door.

Undervalue weight: Drivability (slight), sportiness (heavy), offroad (extremely heavy), utility (extremely heavy), practicality (moderate)

Average weight: Reliability, cost-to-own (amalgamation of total cost, svc cost, economy), safety -- SIDE NOTE -- for the purposes of this particular challenge, the car is assumed to be driving 10,000 miles per year, not 12,000.

High value weight: Comfort (Heavy), Prestige (Heavy)

Manual deductions: There are no manual deductions this time around. However, there is a minimum 0-100km/h that must be achieved (see above).

.ZIP the 4 LUAS and send them to me. Naming format must be as follows:

(name)-Cars-Models, (name)-Cars-Trims, (name)-Engines-Families, (name)-Engines-Variants
Also, please send your company, model, and trim names in the PM with it, as well as nationality.

Examples: VicVictory-Cars-Models, VicVictory-Cars-Trims, VicVictory-Engines-Families, VicVictory-Engines-Variants
1978 Ardent Olympic SE, USA

Attached is an example of how to PROPERLY name files (Thank you, Packbat):
howtonameyourfiles.jpg
howtonameyourfiles.jpg (103.4 KiB) Viewed 7661 times

**ENTRIES WITHOUT A COMPANY AND MODEL NAME WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, AS PART OF THE PRIZE FOR WINNING IS BEING WRITTEN UP IN A REVIEW**

REJECTED ENTRIES MAY BE REVISED ONCE IN ORDER TO CORRECT THE REASON FOR REJECTION. PENDING OR ACCEPTED ENTRIES MAY NOT BE REVISED.

Side note for the top 4 from previous competition(s): You may enter. If you get in the top 5 a second time, you will be reviewed, but you will not be allowed into the next 2 competitions, just to give others a fair shake. This resets after you have sat out 2 competitions.

May not enter due to number of recent wins:
oppositelock (1 competition)
SeriousSimon (2 competitions)
NormanVauxhall (2 competitions)
Leonardo9613 (2 competitions)

ENTRY DEADLINE: TUESDAY MAY 19, 9AM PDT (UTC-7), OR UNTIL 30 VALID ENTRIES EXCLUDING BENCHMARK HAVE BEEN RECEIVED, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST

Pending Entries:

Accepted Entries:
VicVictory - USA - Ardent Olympic SE (Benchmark)
Elouda - UK - Lightstar Terra 851P
HighOctaneLove - Moldova - Bogliq Jasmine
BlastersPewPew - USA - Desert Motors Escalante
JasonPoland - Poland - PolMot Milon
conan - USA - SHIP by Bob Wyatt (With H982FKL Optional Package)
NiuYorqCiti - USA - Ponni Galleon V8 Luxe
nerd - USA - Rado MiniLuxo TP-C
Urbanliner - Japan - Daiki Pleiades Luxury
partario - UK - Rutland Capercaille Limited
victorgarcia - Brazil - Garcia E500C
strop - Great Britain - Armada Feltram 3-matic
Shaded009 - USA - Shade Landkruiser Mk 1
Packbat - USA - PAW Jubatus PE
Lordred - USA - LHE Tiara Marque
trackpaduser - Canada - NMC Jackal LS
EnryGT5 - Japan - Seishido Rigel 3.0 GX-A
TheTom - Austria - AMW Harmonia 4.0
Zabhawkin - USA - DMA LB78S
mer_at - Austria - ME El Padre Escobar
Tycondero - Netherlands - Astana Defiant LE Turbo 2.6
Trollercoaster - Italy - FIL Cok 1982/3
manche - Uruguay - YCB Yaguarete LS
Razyx - Spain - ManHell Luxor IL
nialloftara - USA - Centauri Paladin Turbo II
Richard117 - Netherlands - VPNL 72
8bs - Portugal - Fuentes TC Luxury

Rejected Entries:
titleguy1 - USA - 1978 Rennen Superbia EXL - LUA errors when opening the car - ran out of time to resubmit
np1993 - Canada - Prato Leisure Coupe - LUA errors when opening the car - ran out of time to resubmit
Last edited by VicVictory on Sat May 23, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun May 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Touch of Class [1978] [ENTRIES OPEN]

Here's the benchmark car, the 1978 Ardent Olympic SE

It's the mid-trim model of the Olympic line. The model was rolled out in 1977, with the GT trim competing in CTC 4. Sales were brisk.

The SE model represents a more behaved, economical version of Ardent's personal luxury coupe.

Olympic.jpg
Olympic.jpg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 7632 times

Standard features include an automatic transmission, air conditioning, AM/FM 4-speaker stereo, in-dash clock, and leatherette seat trim. It is powered by a Taurus-series V8, the 4.2 liter TE8-C-I, which is good for 170 HP.

<<

CWRules

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun May 10, 2015 5:49 pm

You should probably do what Der Bayer did with his BRC and put the challenge name in the filenames. ie. TouchOfClass-(name)-Cars-Models. That way there's no risk of overwriting things if you are entered in multiple competitions at once.
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun May 10, 2015 6:27 pm

CWRules wrote:You should probably do what Der Bayer did with his BRC and put the challenge name in the filenames. ie. TouchOfClass-(name)-Cars-Models. That way there's no risk of overwriting things if you are entered in multiple competitions at once.

Without getting into specifics, that doesn't work for me. I have the file format that *I* want laid out in the OP, and it has worked for 3 previous competitions.

No further discussion.

<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Sun May 10, 2015 9:00 pm

how much are we allowed cost wise?
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Sun May 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Manche wrote:how much are we allowed cost wise?

No limitations whatsoever, that should make things interesting...
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Sun May 10, 2015 9:48 pm

<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Mon May 11, 2015 12:51 am

Presenting the Bogliq entrant....

HighOctaneLove-Cars-Models - HighOctaneLove-Cars-Trims-1.png
HighOctaneLove-Cars-Models - HighOctaneLove-Cars-Trims-1.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 7552 times

Here for your viewing pleasure is the 1978 Bogliq Jasmine! As the breeze brings the sweet scent of the Jasmine flower, the Bogliq Jasmine rides sweet and subtle through every day traffic, yet is capable of moving like the wind when your fancy takes you...

Drive the dream, order your Bogliq Jasmine today at your friendly local Bogliq dealer :D
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Mon May 11, 2015 1:15 am

VicVictory wrote:No further discussion.

Guess free speech doesn't apply here.
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Mon May 11, 2015 1:22 am

VicVictory wrote:
CWRules wrote:You should probably do what Der Bayer did with his BRC and put the challenge name in the filenames. ie. TouchOfClass-(name)-Cars-Models. That way there's no risk of overwriting things if you are entered in multiple competitions at once.

Without getting into specifics, that doesn't work for me. I have the file format that *I* want laid out in the OP, and it has worked for 3 previous competitions.

No further discussion.

Have to write down a little critique here. While I appriciate your effort to host a competiton, I have to agree on CWRules. People will run into the problem overwriting their old cars, just by entering this new competition for yours.
Secondly, we can speak freely here and also discuss that topic, we are not in North Korea (best Korea).

Also: Why exactly do you completely exclude people from participating, that is IMHO total... BS. I can understand that people are good, and that they can kill all competition, but excluding them is the worst way to do. Give them penalties, make rules harder, let them participate but not review them - but don't exclude them. Trust me, those people you excluded now, will think about it and may not participate again.
Being good on one or two competitions does not mean they are good on this one, or the next one... Just imagine what would happen when Der_Bayer would exclude the best people here, like Leo, Strop and others, from the BRC? They would never enter again or make huge complaints. And not only would do it.

Just my two cents.
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 am

pyrlix wrote:Have to write down a little critique here. While I appriciate your effort to host a competiton, I have to agree on CWRules. People will run into the problem overwriting their old cars, just by entering this new competition for yours.
Secondly, we can speak freely here and also discuss that topic, we are not in North Korea (best Korea).

Well it's a good thing that neither you or I are a government entity now, right? Because freedom of speech only applies to that.

Also it is REALLY irritating to have:
1) a NOOB come into my thread and tell me what to do...
2) ... without ever having run his OWN competition ...
3) ... IMMEDIATELY after TWO discussions in TWO threads about various issues (including naming conventions, which I made it clear already I was against changing)...

Also: Why exactly do you completely exclude people from participating, that is IMHO total... BS. I can understand that people are good, and that they can kill all competition, but excluding them is the worst way to do. Give them penalties, make rules harder, let them participate but not review them - but don't exclude them. Trust me, those people you excluded now, will think about it and may not participate again.

That didn't stop oppositelock from building a car for the last competition he participated in. Which is great: He's still practicing and honing his skills, even if he can't win.

Being good on one or two competitions does not mean they are good on this one, or the next one... Just imagine what would happen when Der_Bayer would exclude the best people here, like Leo, Strop and others, from the BRC? They would never enter again or make huge complaints. And not only would do it.

No, instead you get fatigue and discouragement. Something that I am actively trying to avoid in my competitions, because it's part of what killed the PAF threads.

Also, I heard from NormanVauxhall after the last competition thanking me for it, and looking forward to when he could resubmit. He didn't COMPLAIN about it, so I think you're off the mark here.

Either that, or he lied to my face. (And please, if that's the case, PM me: I would rather you be honest than polite in this case)

Now, with all that said... I will hopefully have a chance to review the current submissions before I go to work today.

<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Mon May 11, 2015 4:41 am

Main issue I think with PIF is the massive skill gap between some of the contestants.

So those who are good end up making things too hard for those who are less good. And those who are less good make things too easy for those who are good.

IMHO the best way to somewhat fix that would be to separate people by skill groups.

But anyway, back to this thread.

After doing some testing, I think we will see some stupidly large V8s during this competition, hoping that they won't have too many issues with fuel mileage :D
Last edited by TrackpadUser on Mon May 11, 2015 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

BlastersPewPew

Cars: Mazda 3

Post Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 am

On the subject of not being allowed to enter, as Vic said you CAN enter, and if I follow correctly you just are not elligible for winning or a review, I would still enter (and hope get scored) if I was blocked because it would be training AND additional cars to run against. Hell 90% of my cars never have a shot at winning but I always enter, this is damned near the same as being "blocked" from entering, just have fun guys!!!!
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Mon May 11, 2015 4:50 am

VicVictory wrote:Well it's a good thing that neither you or I are a government entity now, right? Because freedom of speech only applies to that.

Hmm, not really. I'm pretty sure freedom of speech applies to everyone.

VicVictory wrote:Also it is REALLY irritating to have:
1) a NOOB come into my thread and tell me what to do...
2) ... without ever having run his OWN competition ...
3) ... IMMEDIATELY after TWO discussions in TWO threads about various issues (including naming conventions, which I made it clear already I was against changing)...

1. I wouldn't consider pyrlix a noob.
2. Not having run a competition doesn't mean you're suddenly superior to someone else, which you seem to imply being.
3. The issue isn't about it being convenient to you, it's the fact that people are concerned that your naming convention would lead to their cars for other competitions being overwritten.

VicVictory wrote:(And please, if that's the case, PM me: I would rather you be honest than polite in this case)

You obviously don't seem to understand that there's the possibility of being honest AND polite, although I don't think you should be wanting people to be polite to you when you can't seem to be able to take critique and suggestions in an understanding manner.
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 am

Don't call him a "noob", can't see the reason for it. (@UBFan: I think he meant CWRules) He has a point, and critique is always a needed thing. If you don't want critique or suggestions, just put in OP "No discussion about my challenge please - Its perfect" and its done. I wanted to participate here, but when i read "May not enter due to number of recent wins" it was done for me. I appreciate your work, but i don't support these practices.

I am against exclusion of people, feels like school again, but the other way around, where the good ones won't get chosen. Why not giving them handicaps, or penalties? Like instead of max 200hp, make it 150hp or "Can only use one exhaust" or "Only I4/V8FP" (a I4 causes problem with Prestige and Comfort, V8FP only comfort). That would feel more like an extra challenge instead of a challenge ban.
But for the love of god, don't exclude people.

@BlastersPewPew: Exactly like the weight penalties! About the challenge, it would be sad if he canceles it, yes. But one has to think first before opening a challenge like that with these rules. You will piss people off.
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
Next

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions