The BRC is dead... [NEW CHALLENGE DISCUSSION]

<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: The BRC is dead... [NEW CHALLENGE DISCUSSION]

Since this isn't about the driving, but rather about the car building, I see no point in having two cars made by the same person. If one was chosen to crash, bad luck, next race you can only do better. Qualifying would be a nice thing, to get cars properly lined up, especially considering how the AI will work.

And no offence taken, HighOctaneLove, it would be pretty boring to see two or three equal cars competing against themselves.
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:22 pm

HighOctaneLove wrote:Usually things like minimum safety and reliability requirements are used to tone down the Krazy-builders (yes strop, I'm looking at you! :P ) and restricting applicable body choices can also go a long way towards a homologation style parity. 8-)

Actually, I'd like to see emissions and safety as the requirements. If you design an unreliable hunk of turbocharged scrap metal you have a good chance of being awarded a DNF anyway.

An emissions requirement stringent enough that you need to do more than just use a three-way cat to get in under it.
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Sayonara wrote:Actually, I'd like to see emissions and safety as the requirements. If you design an unreliable hunk of turbocharged scrap metal you have a good chance of being awarded a DNF anyway.

An emissions requirement stringent enough that you need to do more than just use a three-way cat to get in under it.

I don't see too much the point of emission requirement at the moment. It's an "arbitrary" value that fill a gap until further game development (tycoon).
Safety it is a more interesting requirement to apply.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:32 pm

In the case of purpose-built race cars, I agree. Who cares about emissions.

When defining what Automation's equivalent of a "street legal production car" is, though, I think that it's an excellent benchmark. Emissions standards in real life are one of the major factors that dictate the legality, and therefore availability of a new car in a given market.

Let's put it this way - emission standards killed the Mazda RX-8 and gave birth to the first turbocharged Ferrari in over two decades.
<<

Absurdist

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Civic

Someone stole my bike :c

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:51 am

This is just. Wow.

All of my yes. :D

I kneel before the mighty Martin.
"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does." - The great Murry Walker.

I'm on Steam!
Absurdistx
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041832277/
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:28 am

After the BRC 2 is programmed, what kind of regulations will it follow? Will it be about cheap touring cars or more powerful prototypes? And would it be in a modern era or in the glorious past of racing? Or will you ask the community the theme for every edition?
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:38 am

All of those things, one after the other, I'm hoping :P
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:41 pm

strop wrote:All of those things, one after the other, I'm hoping :P

How about all of the above-mentioned racing options AT THE SAME TIME!!!! :P Or even better, let's send the data back through a wormhole to when Automation first started so that ALL the competitions will have been run using this excellent piece of software genius!!!!! :ugeek:
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:06 pm

EnryGT5 wrote:Will it be about cheap touring cars or more powerful prototypes? And would it be in a modern era or in the glorious past of racing?

HighOctaneLove wrote:How about all of the above-mentioned racing options AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

Could run multiple classes to allow for more variety and less cars on the track. Some ideas:

BRC Prototype - Purpose-built race cars that adhere to specific limitations (for example maximum power-weight ratio, maximum tire width, RWD only, 2-door only).
Touring, Modified - more restrictions than above, less than below.
Touring, Production - strict "road legal" requirements, whatever those may be.
Vintage & Classic - 25 years or older, and 40 years or older, respectively.
<<

AshleyBlack

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Toyota 86 (MY12)

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:59 am

I think it'd be cool to start off in the '60s and then work our way through the ages. It'd be interesting to see how this race series evolves with it's rules and how the cars evolve to follow these rules and go faster. But that's just my opinion, I imagine some others might just want to jump straight into the deep (but very fast) end in 2015
<<

Der Bayer

15-Star Beta Tester
15-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Seat Ibiza 6L 1.4

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:33 am

I'm sure we can work out a few interesing race formats over all the years. Like always, I want to keep the rules as simple as possible though, like in the original BRC.

In live chat I already offered "licensing" my challenge, so that other people can organise a challenge and just give me the set of lua files and race settings, then I can make the videos over night or something like that.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:50 am

I was not going to mention that, mainly because I anticipated you might get absolutely flooded with applications! You might have to set requirements for the tournament design and submission...

But that would definitely be an offer I would take up.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 am

Same thing here. Actually, I was just waiting for you, Martin, to go back to the live chat, so we could discuss the terms :P
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Der Bayer wrote:In live chat I already offered "licensing" my challenge, so that other people can organise a challenge and just give me the set of lua files and race settings, then I can make the videos over night or something like that.

I'd quite like to see a 12 Hours of Sebring/Bathurst challenge (both very technical tracks with a reputation for being extremely hard on cars) but I suspect that would be considerably less interesting to watch in Automation form than the actual races.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 am

Der Bayer wrote:I'm sure we can work out a few interesing race formats over all the years. Like always, I want to keep the rules as simple as possible though, like in the original BRC.

In live chat I already offered "licensing" my challenge, so that other people can organise a challenge and just give me the set of lua files and race settings, then I can make the videos over night or something like that.

strop wrote:I was not going to mention that, mainly because I anticipated you might get absolutely flooded with applications! You might have to set requirements for the tournament design and submission...

But that would definitely be an offer I would take up.

Welcome to BSLL 2!!
PreviousNext

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions