<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:48 am

Season 1, Round 1 (Closed)

Hello and Welcome to the Beginning of the first Season of Themed Engine Challenge - short TEC

As you may noticed, APC got cancelled and is being replaced with TEC now. A lot has changed, so before you start anything, READ THE GUIDELINE

In the first Round of Season 1 there are 2 themes you can participate and get upto 3 points! This round you will build a 90ies Roadster and a 70ies Entrylevel.

And as this is the first round of Season 1 the building can begin right NOW!

Round 1 ended!

Have Fun!

Greetz
Roland
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:11 am

Re: First Season Begins!

Wrap-Up Time!

Round 1 is finished - and it went pretty well, except to some people that did not read the Guidelines well enough ;) ! But it went so well, we have some usable scores now and you surely to know them :)

The 1992 Roadster Top3
This theme was pretty interesting, we had some powerful engines, but it pretty much broke down to the cheap, fast and responsive ones, but much blah-blah!
Here is the Top3!

And here the engine files:
1992 Roadster-1-1224-First.lua
(36.63 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

1992 Roadster-2-Der Bayer-Second.lua
(40.86 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

1992 Roadster-3-OldGreg-Third.lua
(42.49 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

The 1975 Entry-Level Top3
Yes this one was not that sporty one, one from the more boring ones to be honest. But its quite a challenge to make a cheap but still good engine :D
But here is the Top3!

And here the engine files:
1975 Entrylevel-1-Der Bayer-First.lua
(36.62 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

1975 EntryLevel-2-1224-Second.lua
(37.58 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

1975 Entrylevel-3-Napoleon-Third.lua
(36.65 KiB) Downloaded 240 times

Link to the Challenge Sheet from Round 1

Current Scoreboardleaders are 1224, Der Bayer, Napoleon and oldgreg.

Hope you all had fun and be prepared for the next round. Will be posted this evening!

Greetz
Roland
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

JamesMiller

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: xsara vtr

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:11 am

Re: Round 1 of first season ended! (Scoring inside)

darkjedi wrote:we need to look at the graph before voting. there is no point in showing it now as we already have the lua files.

three things that struck me:

1) the cost of ownership calculation changed half way through round 1 which really shouldnt be allowed.

2) the torque flatness figure is currently is the difference between torque @ 2000rpm and peak torque, but that doesn't usefully indicate torque flatness in any way. Peak peak torque could be sitting at 2100rpm with a steep dropoff after, for example. Rubbish engine but a near 1.0 scor0, and we wouldnt be able to see that very well without seeing the graphs before voting.

3) the Challanges might be a bit too broad maybe? Round 1 / challange 1 was to build an engine for anything from an Mx5 to a Merc SLK and round 2 / challange 1 is anything from a Passat/laguna to a 3 series. They are vastly different cars. I or anybody could design the best engine for a 3-series class car, but if that's not what people were interested in when voting then it' becomes worthless? I think the challenges should be tightened up to designing engines for particular classes of car otherwise it seems to be a bit of a stab in the dark.

That's just my opinion though and it's still fun. I'm not mad that you lot didnt vote for my engines, either, ;) it seems for the '92 roadster, people voted for the mx5 engines and not the SLK that i designed. Can't be helped:p
<<

JamesMiller

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: xsara vtr

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 am

1. I did not change it, PM Killrob for that 2. It was quite on the same day that got changed.
It still changed after 12 engines were put up. It wasn't right at the beginning no matter what spin you put on it :p

You guys now have 3 Datapoints now... happy?
better! as long as they are sensible distributed. Where can we take a look ? it doesnt look like they are on the spreadsheet yet?
Its near torque flatness.

When peak is @ 1800 you know it will fall anyways... If you want I can add you a Torque@PeakPower Stat...
In reality yes quite possibly, but in the game?

Very flat torque up to 6k RPM but peak torque at 2800rpm (and i've had that peak down to 2300rpm whilst maintaining the torque delivery). This would legitimately score very high on torque flatness using the 2 point calculation, but then so would that peaked at 2k and dropped like a cliff afterwards which is exactly why 2 points dont work :)

You don't have to build the engine for a SLK or MX5 or Z3 or a S2000.... its a engine for a generic Roadster with a chassis weight of 900kg.
So pick a generic one then :p you've got cars at tow ends of the scale and asking people to vote on...pretty much whatever they like. the criteria is so vast that it becomes less about designing the best and more about crossing your figures and hoping that those voting would buy what you are designing:p
Next round there will be no examples.

What if you don't know what a "x" is... but you know what car the "xy" is...
You're going to have to expand on this, I dont understand what you are saying?
Easy: Theme is: "Boxcar" . All users don't know what a Boxcar is. But then there are Examples: Rolro R750, Hammerite 50
THIS is what the examples are for. People know where this carclass is used for, and can a build an engine that you would like to have as a customer in this car class.

You know that you stands for all the people, and not for one specific guy? Also i am not saying that you actually do it, but there are chances.
As it was a direct response to me then it would be wrong for me to make assumptions - i don't do that...
Still meaning "You Guys" with you.

Added Torque@Peak Power now...
If you don't like it, you don't have to participate here. No one forces you.

Greets
Roland

There is literally no need for that attitude. You say its heated but I'm just making some valid points.I suppose I could just tell you to 'do one' but that isnt exactly constructive conversation is it :mrgreen:
<<

oldgreg

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 WRX Wagon

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:21 am

pyrlix wrote:Image

All of these 3 would be around 0.9 to 1.0 Flatness... I can see peak torque 1800rpm (for example) and engine is obviously rubbish, sure. Just the fact that it revs to 5krpm and is surely not for a Mid-Range or Sportscar... thought about that? The flatness only describes how the torque curve will progress - a flat one is easier to drive than a steep (both up and down) one...
What you are talking is plainly not logical at all - when you KNOW how flat the curve runs approx between 2000rpm and peak torque, you KNOW how the torque curve looks like... and what usual customer looks at dyno graphs in a showroom and says "Oh smokes! This car has the best Dyno ever, i need this one."

Your own example is a pretty good illustration of why (Nm@2k/Nm@peak) is inadequate for describing the "flatness" of the torque curve. Three torque curves with quite different levels of actual flatness are, by that metric, quite similar and the least actually flat of the three is the most "flat" of the three. It works fine when comparing engines with peak torques at ~4-6k rpm because in such a case it is describing the general trend of a large section of the total torque curve, but it falls short when peak torques are close to 2k rpm (as in your example, or in the 1975 "entry level" category of the first competition) because in such a case it only describes a very small section of the total torque curve. In such a situation, "torque flatness" is at best useless and at worst misleading.

I do not agree with the call for posting screenshots, though, as I think it is overkill, would create too much additional workload when judging, and would involve too much qualitative assessment. So I suggest an alternative solution, an improved equation that makes use of existing data. The peak power/rpm can be used to create a third data point in the torque curve without requiring any additional inputs by the contestants. That third data point can then be used to create an average of (Nm@2k/Nm@Nm.peak) and (Nm@kW.peak/Nm@Nm.peak) weighted by how much of the torque curve each ratio describes. In spreadsheet-ready format, I propose this:

=(C10/C8*ABS(C9-2000)+C6*9549/C7/C8*(C7-C9))/((C7-C9)+ABS(C9-2000))

Using this equation, the "torque flatness" of your example engines would be (approximately): 1.) 0.79 2.) 0.84 3.) 0.86. Which is not as informative as a dyno chart, obviously, but it's a heck of a lot more relevant/representative than 1.) 0.99 2.) 0.98 3.) 0.94. It is also much better at evaluating turbocharged engines which, under the current equation, are at a huge disadvantage in "flatness" unless they hit peak boost at or before 2k rpm, which in this game is very difficult to do without crippling the power output at higher rpms.

pyrlix wrote:How can the challenge be "too broad" when it says "Make Mid-Range/Roadster car engine"

I think the broadness problem is specifically about the "roadster" category. Mid-Range and Entry-Level are great, they are specific market segments, but roadster is really more of a type and some of the examples listed, while similar in form, were from very different market segments; The SLK230 cost literally twice as much as the Miata in the US. It would be akin to having a category of "Sedan/Saloon" and listing a Corolla and a 5-Series BMW as examples. And the problem is that those different market segments have different requirements for engines; The more expensive/luxurious car needs to have a more powerful engine and can afford to have a higher price tag as a result, but that would be unnecessary and overly expensive in something like a Miata. Calling the category something like "Affordable Roadster" would have been much more in line with the other categories so far.

Return to Community Challenges & Competitions