FAQ  •  Login

thecarlover's mods - Suburban/Avalanche now available!

<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:06 am

Re: Econoline panel van body - help needed!

partario wrote:
thecarlover wrote:The wheelbase in max is ~350 cm (I made sure to scale things properly), so I don't know why the model looks giant, even dwarfing the 70s pickup/SUV in-game

Could be that it's the SWB version? According to Wikipedia, the 1975–1991 Econoline short version had a wheelbase of 124 in (3,149.6 mm). You might try scaling it to match that instead.

Yeah, I ended up realising that... I got the width right, but length and height got skewed too much when I rescaled for the width.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Daffyflyer wrote:It will always export however it looks in 3ds max though, so if you move the bones in Max it'll change how the export looks.

I have a magic hax trick that makes 3DS max export the basic shape as if you never moved the bones, I'll make a video when I get back home in a few hours.
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 pm

For some reason all the bones I had set up changed, so I have to restart all of that anyways. At least I've managed to solve pretty much every other issue (that I'm aware of). My next model should go much more smoothly. :)

Edit: Another question: how should I define the cargo box? I want to give the option of a back seat, but since it'll also have the option of only front seats, should the cargo box go all the way up to the front seat area, or should it only go up to the back seat?

<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:56 pm

The way it's been done for now is to have 2 variants.

A cargo van variant with only 2-3 seat options and a cargo box that takes all the space behind the front seats.

A passenger van variant with a bunch of seating options, and a cargo box that stops behind the second row of seats.

The passenger van usually has back side windows while the cargo van doesn't, to help differentiate between both.

Edit:

Video of how to export the model in its unmorphed shape:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Q03K ... sp=sharing

Sorry for the craptacular quality and the obviously not practiced text, I recorded this in 5 minutes with no preparation. It should hopefully be helpful.

AFAIK it doesn't mess anything up, so I really reccomend using that method to export.
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Thank you so much for making that! :D That definitely makes things faster and easier.

I have another question about boxes:

When morphing the top and bottom body boxes, do I have to keep the ends perfectly vertical (moving the whole end of the box with a morph), or can I just select one of the edges to morph?

<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:35 pm

thecarlover wrote:Thank you so much for making that! :D That definitely makes things faster and easier.

When morphing the top and bottom body boxes, do I have to keep the ends perfectly vertical (moving the whole end of the box with a morph), or can I just select one of the edges to morph?

It looks at the overall bounds of the box (the furthest apart points) so it will work if you only move 1 vert for example, but it's not ideal.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Daffyflyer wrote:
thecarlover wrote:Thank you so much for making that! :D That definitely makes things faster and easier.

It looks at the overall bounds of the box (the furthest apart points) so it will work if you only move 1 vert for example, but it's not ideal.

Thanks, that's really what I was wondering.

<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:12 pm

i'm sorry that i'm not helping you, but i just have to say this is a prime example of how nice the community is, a single person has issues making a mod and a lot of people are stepping up to help, heck even the devs of the game are helping out with just a single mod, goess that brings a whole new meaning to "mod support" lol, but yeah seriously, you guys all rock, i just had to say that
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:27 pm

cpufreak101 wrote:i'm sorry that i'm not helping you, but i just have to say this is a prime example of how nice the community is, a single person has issues making a mod and a lot of people are stepping up to help, heck even the devs of the game are helping out with just a single mod, goess that brings a whole new meaning to "mod support" lol, but yeah seriously, you guys all rock, i just had to say that

No worries, I have plenty of help. I really am thankful for everyone taking the time to help me with this. I'm glad they can see some potential in me even when I'm a complete noob with this stuff. That being said, I have another issue...

I have this morph at the back:

But then in game it appears like this:

And it does deform that whole area, not just the area I set it to deform in 3ds Max.

<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:35 pm

I think that what you need to do is to "remove zero weights"

<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:45 pm

That fixed it, thanks!

Hopefully this thread of all these issues I'm having could help others with troubleshooting as well.

<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:06 pm

thecarlover wrote:That fixed it, thanks!

Hopefully this thread of all these issues I'm having could help others with troubleshooting as well.

so how long you say until release?
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:36 pm

cpufreak101 wrote:
thecarlover wrote:That fixed it, thanks!

so how long you say until release?

Sometime tomorrow, I'd say. Still have a few changes I need to do to the .lua file, and I also need to make a thumbnail for it. I'm also going to make a passenger version with windows soon. The mesh and skinning have been done with that in mind, so I'll just need to add a bit to the mesh and assign the materials.

In the meantime, here's a sporty mid 70s van!

I've skinned it in a way that it can made to look more like a GMC Vandura/Chevy Van than a Ford Econoline. Also, the engine bay can easily take a 10.9L V8.*

*Not final product. Could be subject to change.

<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:20 pm

thecarlover wrote:
Sometime tomorrow, I'd say. Still have a few changes I need to do to the .lua file, and I also need to make a thumbnail for it. I'm also going to make a passenger version with windows soon. The mesh and skinning have been done with that in mind, so I'll just need to add a bit to the mesh and assign the materials.

(hungy)

I've skinned it in a way that it can made to look more like a GMC Vandura/Chevy Van than a Ford Econoline. Also, the engine bay can easily take a 10.9L V8.*

ah kk, and if you did a good enough job on it the devs might make it part of the game, don't count on it though, but yeah, i'll be waiting for it's release
<<

thecarlover

Post Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:44 am

cpufreak101 wrote:
thecarlover wrote:

(hungy)

ah kk, and if you did a good enough job on it the devs might make it part of the game, don't count on it though, but yeah, i'll be waiting for it's release

I'm seeing a couple things I could improve, so hopefully it won't take too long. Namely curving out the side of the body (the area below the windows is just flat). Thankfully I detailed the mesh enough from the start that it should be easy to do.

I've got a couple of issues/questions:
The front wheels can be offset well beyond their wheel wells. What can I do to prevent that?
What is the "Cd =" value in the "Drag & Lift" section of the .lua? I assume it's the drag value, and if so, how do I calculate that?

PreviousNext

Return to 3d Artists Modding Forum