FAQ  •  Login

thecarlover's mods - Suburban/Avalanche now available!

<<

KLinardo

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2013 Ford Mustang GT California Special
2010 Ford F-150 XLT

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: thecarlover's mods - Trans Sport now available!

Sebesseg wrote: a variant with louvers?

I humbly second this.
Boss Motorsports
Company Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7093
<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:19 pm

I could give louvers a try, but no guarantees they'll work. If they do, then the body will have both a regular hardtop and a hardtop with louvers option. I would clearly also have a convertible available, and the hardtop morphable into a fastback.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

thecarlover

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:50 am

Slight update on the upcoming Range Rover. I actually have not had the time to start it, but I did finally manage to get 3ds Max working on Windows 10. I will not be making the 1996 Range Rover, but rather the 2002 model, as that one has a more timeless look than the 90s one as far as the details on the bodywork go. That being said, I will be making it available for the year 2000 (maybe even as early as 1998) since it has such a generic shape. I will also make versions with black pillars and body coloured ones, for a more generic look. I am also considering a two-door variant, and maybe even an SUT design.

<<

thecarlover

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:48 pm

Murciélago body has been edited! Cargo issue with rear-engine models has been fixed.

Edit: Here's the Range Rover so far. This will probably take longer than my other models as I've got school going on now, but I'll do what I can to make it timely.

<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: thecarlover's mods - Trans Sport available - Range Rover

Here, take this bunch of reference picture. So you don't make a car with completely flat and with absolutely no depth to the side again.

Thin at the top, thin at the bottom. And with a pronounced massive curved to the side. Not just a slanted slightly curved side. All cars been like that for a while, you'd better learn how to do it.

In my opinion, if you cannot do a curved car properly, don't do them yet. Stick with boxy cars, like a Hummer H1 or a Land Rover. (And even those two have a lot of side depth and not damn nearly flat).
uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:13 am

I know some of my earlier models (namely the Continental) are rather flat on the sides, but I have been improving myself on that. This is a learning process, and I've only been using 3ds Max for less than 2 months. I can accept constructive criticism as I'm always trying to improve, but this is not constructive. If you don't like my models, you don't need to download them, it's as simple as that.

<<

Felgen

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:01 am

It's a learning curve, and your most recent ones look great. :) My first two models had problems with morphability. These two cars have since received updates.
<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:21 am

Felgen wrote:It's a learning curve, and your most recent ones look great. :) My first two models had problems with morphability. These two cars have since received updates.

Thanks! I did learn more about morphs, and so I might update some models in the future to make things easier. Now that I know more about overlapping morphs, I can have full overlaps with everything being selectable, not have to add a couple vertexes for the underlying morph to be selectable.

<<

thecarlover

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 pm

Progress update! Still far from done (the front end especially), but I'm getting there. I'm making the version with body-coloured pillars first, instead of the black ones, since that will make things simpler, but both will be released together. A coupe version will follow after, and likely a unibody 2 door pickup as well.

<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm glad that "non-constructive comment" works. I'll wait and see how it looks in game. Hopefully it looks as good as it is in 3ds. Still a little wonky at places, but a whole lot better than the Transport, which I actually did considered not download. (and did anyway just to see how it is in game, it was as I expected before it was release).

You know why I felt compelled to make that comment? Scathing as it is. It was because I think you've gotten your priority wrong. Most new 3d model maker usually take their time to do it right and virtually all of them can make a decent looking car first time, they might take a month to do so, but the result is always at least looks accurate, one that you'd want to keep in 1.0. You were cranking out cars damn nearly every weeks (I've counted 6 in a month or so, which is a lot more than the devs). And I don't even think you're one of those newcomers, because you got nearly everything else right, and at incredibly fast rate at that. Your Range Rover looks like it's pretty good as well, so all it really take is just one scathing comment? I don't think so either.

Wouldn't it be better if your model appears in the game as a vanilla stuff, rather than just appealing to lowest common denominator? Some people who just want new models might love you for releasing new car regularly, but doing it right will be more than worth it.
<<

Packbat

Cars: I, being poor, have only my dreams

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:58 am

@conan, if I may offer some concrit of my own:
The first couple cars you made had very flat sides, so I looked up some reference photos of the Range Rover which make the curve of the side of the vehicle more clear.
[images]
You can see how massive the curve of the side of the vehicle is. Even with boxy cars like the Hummer H1 and Land Rover, that's been a part of car design for a long time. Replicating that in your meshes will make your cars a lot better.

Do you see the difference between what I just said and what you said? The insults in your original post were completely superfluous to your point.
<<

thecarlover

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:42 am

@conan

This is the only Trans Sport blueprint available, and so this was my main reference for the model. Even reference photos of it have the sides nearly flat aside from the top and bottom, which curve in quite a bit. The fairly flat sides are based on what the real model is like, which is why my Lamborghini models very curved sides. Don't assume I can't make curved sides, I've just mostly been making cars with fairly flat sides, especially earlier on when I was not as comfortable with 3ds Max. As for how fast I was making them, that's simply because I had a lot of free time and focussed on modelling, so if I took 3 days to make a body I would easily spend 40 hours making that body and even more depending on how complicated the design was. As Packbat pointed out, there's a difference between constructive criticism and insulting criticism, and I will not tolerate the latter. You don't have to like my mods and you don't have to download them, but you have no reason to be insulting.

<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:32 am

Maybe it was unnecessary. I apologize for that then. But if one day you wish to make your mods better. Would this blueprint be better for such job?
Attachments
chevrolet-lumina-apv-1991.jpg
chevrolet-lumina-apv-1991.jpg (271.94 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
<<

thecarlover

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:50 am

Thank you, I accept your apology. I have considered reworking that one slightly to accomodate a larger engine, and if I do end up doing so, I will likely rework the sides a bit to increase the curvature, but no guarantees on that. The Range Rover is my current priority, and followed by versions of the pickup with bed covers. With school and work at the moment, progress will be slower than in December.

<<

thecarlover

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:39 pm

No smoothing done yet, and I still need to define the seams of the bumpers and the top of the hood, but the rest of the mesh is finished unless some tweaking needs to be done.

PreviousNext

Return to 3d Artists Modding Forum