FAQ  •  Login

Custom Speedometers (MPH, etc.)

<<

MWisBest

Cars: 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES (3.2L V6)

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Custom Speedometers (MPH, etc.)

I got annoyed with the KPH-only speedometer when running around test tracks, so I spent a few minutes whipping up a MPH version, and have since added some other ones (e.x. MPH outer with KPH inner).
The MPH converting isn't perfect, but it's close enough. The stock KPH gauge is labeled in increments of 40 KPH, which is 24.8548 MPH, so I replaced the increments of 40 KPH with increments of 25 MPH. By the time the gauge reaches 300 MPH, it ends up reading 2 MPH slow (so 300 MPH actually means 298 MPH). Unless you're pushing your car to its labeled top speed (for example on a long, straight track) and look very closely at it you won't notice it. :P

Here's a few previews of them, there's more versions (with previews as well) in the .zip file too. Please note that I am not a good artist, but I did my best. :oops:
ImageImageImage

Installation instructions are in the README.txt file in the .zip :)
Attachments
Custom Speedometers.zip
(613.6 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Last edited by MWisBest on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: MPH Speedometer

That's actually quite clever, is there a chance you could scale down the existing kph and fit it inside this image to make a more traditional speedo look?
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:52 am

You mean like a speedometer with both kmh and mph? I would like that as well!
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:01 am

That's what I meant yeah, like take the stock speedo and scale down the image so the spacing stays the same and pastes it inside the numbers of the MPH image.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

cptcobbler

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: renault

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:43 am

You Sir will be praised as a God! such a simple change but really makes the test track better
<<

MWisBest

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:35 am

nialloftara wrote:That's actually quite clever, is there a chance you could scale down the existing kph and fit it inside this image to make a more traditional speedo look?

07CobaltGirl wrote:You mean like a speedometer with both kmh and mph? I would like that as well!

nialloftara wrote:That's what I meant yeah, like take the stock speedo and scale down the image so the spacing stays the same and pastes it inside the numbers of the MPH image.

For that I'd really like to just remake the entire gauge, but I'm pretty slow with image editing and not super talented at it.
Here's a quick version with just scaling down the old gauge though (sans the border and the middle markings, and the shadows/background blended in), let me know what you think. (the .dds is in the attached zip as well, just rename to KPHGauge480.dds and install it like the first one)
MPHandKPH_WIP.zip
(13.68 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

If it's usable to you guys I'll see if I can find some time soon to make a few other gauges, so there'd be the following options: original KPH with cleaned up text/markings, MPH, MPH with inner KPH, and KPH with inner MPH.
Really though there's only so much that can be done with modifying the current textures. I'd really like something like this:
where "0" isn't 180° down. This can't be done just with textures, it'd take code modifications etc which obviously only the Automation devs have access to. Other cool ideas: tach and speedometer would scale to the car being tested, e.x. a car with a rev limiter of 7500RPM would have the tach scale from 0 to 8000RPM with markings above 7500RPM colored orange, and a car with a top speed of 140MPH would have the speedometer scale from 0 to 160MPH (with the units, KPH/MPH or MPH/KPH, changed based on user preference). Better yet, when a car is equipped with "Premium Infotainment" or something, make the speedometer digital!
(a trip meter of sorts measuring how far around the track the car is would be cool too)

PS: Yes, I took a picture of my odometer while driving. My phone was sitting up by the gauges for GPS anyway, although I will concede that it's one of the dumber things I've done while driving. I do not text or talk on the phone when driving and I never have. I now have a windshield mount for it that places it out of my reach too!
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 am

Freakin AWESOME! :)

EDIT: So, I got the MPH only to work. I could not get the MPH/KMH to work.

<<

MWisBest

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:20 am

07CobaltGirl wrote:Freakin AWESOME! :)

You need to rename the MPH/KPH file to KPHGauge480.dds, and then install it like the MPH one. I should've named it properly in the first place, I just had it saved in the same spot as the MPH one and was too lazy to move it out of that folder to change the name. :oops:
It's a little difficult to read though, I'll improve that soon!
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:32 am

Got Mopar?
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

Slim Jim

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe, 6-speed manual

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:47 am

Dude, I can't thank you enough for this. :lol: It's so much nicer having numbers I can relate to on the speedometer.
<<

MWisBest

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 pm

nialloftara wrote:Got Mopar?

Mopar or no car!
Massively Over Powered And Respected!
Methodically Out Powering All Racers!
(Occasionally: Miscellaneous Oddball Parts Assembled Ridiculously, or Many Odd Parts Arranged Randomly. Working on my Intrepid can be.. interesting.)
<<

RevPJ

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '74 Triumph Spitfire, '69 Cadillac Funeral Coach, '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Spyder

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:12 am

Thank you SO much for this! As an ignorant American, I naturally hate, and, fear the metric system.
<<

RevPJ

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '74 Triumph Spitfire, '69 Cadillac Funeral Coach, '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Spyder

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:13 am

MWisBest wrote:
nialloftara wrote:Got Mopar?

Mopar or no car!
(Occasionally: Miscellaneous Oddball Parts Assembled Ridiculously, or Many Odd Parts Arranged Randomly. Working on my Intrepid can be.. interesting.)

Hell yes!
<<

ArnRno

Cars: 2002 Impreza
1962 Super 88

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:02 am

MWisBest wrote:Mopar or no car!

Mostly Old Parts And Rust

;)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:43 pm

MWisBest wrote:
07CobaltGirl wrote:Freakin AWESOME! :)

You need to rename the MPH/KPH file to KPHGauge480.dds, and then install it like the MPH one. I should've named it properly in the first place, I just had it saved in the same spot as the MPH one and was too lazy to move it out of that folder to change the name. :oops:
It's a little difficult to read though, I'll improve that soon!

This one still isn't working for me. I did it the way you said it, and even started over by re-extracting the zip file to a new folder. Then I renamed it and installed it to ~\Automation\assets\ui\textures like you said in the readme file. The MPH only version works, but the KPH-MPH version will not.

Next

Return to 3d Artists Modding Forum