FAQ  •  Login

Import Blender models?

<<

mitoand9

Cars: TVR V8S

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Import Blender models?

Hi,

I have my logo made on blender, I was wondering if it was possible to export it in the automation directory in order to make it a usable badge. Anyone knows if it is possible and how?

Thx in advance!
<<

NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Import Blender models?

For what I know, the only import or conversion tool for Automation is for 3DSMax13 32 bit.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

mitoand9

Cars: TVR V8S

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Okay, well I just found out that I have the possibility to convert/export my blender file as a .3ds file. I'll see if now I can get somewhere with that. Thx
<<

Phos

Cars: Boxster GTS

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Yeah, I'd really like to be able to use blender, I have a fair amount of experience with it.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:24 pm

You absolutely need 3DS Max to export at the very least, and that will be the case until the switch to UE4.

I am pretty sure you can import the geometry itself w/o too many problems, but I am not sure about the morphs, materials and UV maps.

Although if you can make a very nice car in Blender, I am sure a modder would be ready to help with those bits.

This tutorial explains all the important bits when its comes to making a mesh for automation.
<<

Phos

Post Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:04 pm

TrackpadUser wrote:You absolutely need 3DS Max to export at the very least, and that will be the case until the switch to UE4.

I am pretty sure you can import the geometry itself w/o too many problems, but I am not sure about the morphs, materials and UV maps.

Although if you can make a very nice car in Blender, I am sure a modder would be ready to help with those bits.

This tutorial explains all the important bits when its comes to making a mesh for automation.

UE4, you say? UE uses collada, something blender supports very well. And thanks for the video, was having a hard time finding into on what the specifications, for lack of a better term, were for such a model.

One question though, in blender you have zero control over how quads are split into tris (it's not even handled by blender), so the best way for me to make sure that they're all facing the same way would be to split them into tris, would this cause any problems in game?

Huh, the example file is a .max, rather than an interchange format. What am I really missing not being able to access it? Seems that the major thing is the materials.

Blender also doesn't have "smoothing groups", selective smoothing is done via a modifier that duplicates vertices to make a seam, is this compatible with how automation does things?

Watching more of these videos, does max really not have a loop select?
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:44 am

Smoothing groups are smoothing shaders, and I would be surprised if Blender didn't have a way to set those up.

And yes, loop select does exist in MAX, IIRC you click one line/vert/poly, hold shift and then click and other line/vert/poly to select the whole loop.

As for the other things you mentioned, my offer still stand, if you can make some very nice geometry I would be ready to do the finishing touches.
<<

Phos

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:20 am

TrackpadUser wrote:Smoothing groups are smoothing shaders, and I would be surprised if Blender didn't have a way to set those up.

And yes, loop select does exist in MAX, IIRC you click one line/vert/poly, hold shift and then click and other line/vert/poly to select the whole loop.

As for the other things you mentioned, my offer still stand, if you can make some very nice geometry I would be ready to do the finishing touches.

Did a bit of looking around, I already knew that within blender this modifier is seldom baked, and it seems that the exporters (the obj ones, at least) can handle it as ordinary smoothing groups.
<<

Phos

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:06 am

Got this headlight I'm working on, I kinda suspect that I'm going to have problems from not having the materials, I'm not sure that it'll be an issue, but if you're volunteering to finish it, I won't be able to assign the real materials.

The UV puncher die (That's what I think of it as) is a bit of a confusion, is it supposed to look like this:
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Your UVMap looks alright, although from experience those often need small adjustments to work properly, but its hard to do that if you can't export.

Only part that you seem to be missing is the glass, apart from that pretty much everything looks quite nice.

Although don't be afraid to add more polygons. Having thousands in a light is obviously not super great, but having more could help make your circles more circular.

When you are done, you can send me a PM, with your files and a picture/drawing of what you want in terms of materials.
<<

Felgen

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:56 pm

The most important thing is that the outer vertices of the UV mesh align perfectly with the front vertices of the headlight casing. Otherwise, it will not conform properly to the car.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:05 am

I will re-verify for lights but for the other stuff that isn't required.

The front vertices of the casing need to be at x?=0 though, else it does some weird things.
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: I have TWO Peugeots. Please feel sorry for me.

Post Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:31 am

Yeah the vertices that make up the front of any fixture have to be at 0 on the y-axis, otherwise the fixture will stick out/in from the body itself. The same goes for the UV mesh. :)

Return to 3d Artists Modding Forum