NormanVauxhall

Assistant Lead Beta Tester
Assistant Lead Beta Tester

Cars: 2002 Mazda Mx-5 1.6l NBFL
2008 Toyota Prius
1971 Fiat 500 L

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Re: Maffc's 3D Stuff (Updated 08/03/15)

I installed the community pack. I'll check what I could do wrong.
Don't worry if you don't reply.

:cry: Stay strong.
ŽM-Automobili Group
Born by the fusion of Blue Marlin Motori Auto and Žnoprešk Avto in 1972.
BMMS Dolphine Mk.II and Žnoprešk Zest (1974)
Žnoprešk Z217 (1963)
Žnoprešk Zap! (1981)
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Skoda Felicia Combi 1.3 MPi LXi

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:14 am

Re: Maffc's 3D Stuff (Updated 08/03/15)

Maybe the community pack's version of the car is outdated?
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sportiva

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:18 am

New 80s Boxy Supermini

Hi All

1980s Boxy Supermini (Updated 16/04/2015) ***Please note this mod is no longer available for download as it is included in the base game***
My Second mod is inspired by the 1980s Fiat Panda.
It comes in 4 variants:
Original 3 Door Hatch.
5 Door Hatch, which can be morphed into a reasonable wagon, although the back doors might be a bit cramped.
4 Door Saloon, might some might think is weird, but Vauxhall/Opel did it with the Nova/Corsa and BL considered making one from the Metro.
A van, basically the 3 door with blanked out rear windows and not the one Fiat actually made which looked like they installed a dorma window to the back.

EDIT: I have since added a 2dr "Coupe" (Saloon). It's an additional download and requires the main pack to be complete.

Extract Zip contents to \Automation\assets\meshes\cars\Front\Small (Folder location varies depending if you are a steam user or not)

Coupe
Boxy2dr.JPG
Boxy2dr.JPG (34.96 KiB) Viewed 4921 times

I Hope you enjoy and as always feedback is welcomed.
Last edited by maffc on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: Maffc's 3D Stuff (80s Boxy Supermini added 28/03/15)

Nice model with lots of variants, there are a few things I think you could make better though.

1- The wheelarches

This is something that have been bugging me since that post you made in the car suggestion thread.
The shape of you flares is very uneven, some corners look nice, some don't, and the thickness has obvious variations.
One thing I would recommend, is to use a basic shape as a guide, and make one nice looking flare. Then, use that flare for both the front and the back, while making sure they both are at the same height.
Also, for the flare morphs, IMHO it would look nice if it deformed only the flare.

2- The windshield

If you ask me, the morph that changes the bow of the windshield doesn't look very good and creates a lot of weird reflections.
If I had a suggestion to make, look at the front windshield of the 80s sedan. One morph move the entire windshield equally, as well as the door seams, and an other one changes the angle of the windshield.
There is also a small mesh issue on the upper corners of the sedan's windshield.

3- Hood hump.

Once again, this is my own opinion, but the side of hood humps should preferably be a separate smoothing group. Right now the hump looks like a blob.
Also, minor thing on the 5 door, the reflection on the side of the hood does a zigzag, I would reverify that all the triangles are heading the same way.

4- Back side windows on the 4-5 doors.

The back side windows have very obvious reflection issues, I would also check the smoothing groups on the back door window frame.
As for the morphing, I would try to very slightly move a few more verts on the back pillar, so it doesn't clip.

5- Back morphs.

Lets start with the sedan.
I really like the way the window morphs, although it tends to get major reflection issues when morphing it.
As for the trunk, while it has 3 morphs, I feel like I have less freedom than with the 80s sedan. You can probably make it so it can become shorter. Also, currently it is impossible to have an angled trunk when it's at it's shortest.

As for the hatchbacks.
I am personally not a fan of the way it works. While you have a lot of morphs, some are hard to select and not a lot of combinations look great. IMHO a better solution might be to have one morph that moves the whole thing, one morph that changes the angle of the window and one that changes the angle of the lower part.

Apart from this, very nice work with a lot of potential.
<<

8bs

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Apart from all that, great work man!!!!
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi TrackPad, Thanks for your feedback. I will be working on revising the models and will look at all the points and faults you raise.
I am not completely happy with the wheel arches either, Especially the front one. Despite them matching the blue prints they do look odd. Seems the Panda was a little oddly shaped there IRL. (The 1st models didn't even have flares on the rear, just a 'hole').
I will lower the front one, however most real world cars do not have equal height arches. The rear one is usually lower.
<<

frisco557

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1999 Honda Civic EX
1991 Mazda Miata

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:04 am

maffc wrote:I will lower the front one, however most real world cars do not have equal height arches. The rear one is usually lower.

That's true. A lot of American cars have covered rear wheels like the '50s Cadillac body we have in game. Even normal cars like my Civic or a 914 have lower rear arches.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Nice work, really good stuff.
Although I agree with trackpaduser when he says that the rear morphs are a bit over the top. Also, I think you could do without the bonnet bulge, or if you could make that morphable, so we didn't need to have it.

Are you planning some other car sizes based on this one, as you did with the Princess?
Because if you made it a bit longer, wider and lower, you would end up with a Fiat Uno, a car I have fond memories of. And making it even bigger would result in a Fiat Tipo, thus covering most of 80s italian supermini design.
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Cheers Leonardo,

I'm currently tweaking the models to address the issues Trackpad' raised. This will include simplified rear end morphing.
Q: Should simplifying the back end include pinning the side window morphs to the rear pillar or should they remain independent?

I will also look at the bonnet hump.

As for different sized versions, the short answer is no.
The long answer is the Panda's styling was fairly minimalist, using completely flat glass panels which I personally don't think would suit larger versions of it. I do however plan more direct models of both the Uno and Tipo / Tempra. My 1st car was a 1986 Uno 45s with the 999cc FIRE engine. So I too have very fond memories of them. It set me down the path of loving Italian cars. I also had a 1994 Fiat Tempra, which I also through was great, so I personally I would like their spiritual presence in the game to be a bit more than scaled up pandas.
<<

HighOctaneLove

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1997 Toyota Starlet Life 3dr

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:17 pm

maffc wrote:I'm currently tweaking the models to address the issues Trackpad' raised. This will include simplified rear end morphing.
Q: Should simplifying the back end include pinning the side window morphs to the rear pillar or should they remain independent?

I think leaving the side window morphs unpinned allows for fascinating design opportunities... Not that I'll use them, of course, I only do tastefully conservative designs! :D :lol: :D
Bogliq Automotive #1929007
Leeroy Racecraft #1930086
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 pm

About the side window morphs, I forgot to mention, but I do like them. It is very neat to have the rear indow shape exactly as we want, that is something that bugged me on some vanilla cars, because depending on which morphs are used, the design ends up ungainly, something that will never occur with your set up.
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:27 am

You can keep the window independent, but I would try tweaking the morph so it doesn't have the issues it has currently, where it create a weird thing in the reflections and clip through the other verts.

This could by adding a smallish weight to the verts it's clipping into, although that may be complicated to do w/o the whole thing ending up poking out the back of the car..
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:51 am

trackpaduser wrote:This could by adding a smallish weight to the verts it's clipping into, although that may be complicated to do w/o the whole thing ending up poking out the back of the car..

Yep I think it will be Impossible to prevent a user from moving the window morph past the end of pillar if they don't move the pillar far enough the accommodate it, without restricting the window morph. Still, if the user wants to create such a car then who are to say no ;)

Shame we can't do some form of collision detection to prevent it.
<<

maffc

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Post Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Maffc's 3D Stuff (80s Boxy Supermini Updated 16/04/15)

Hi All,

I have updated the 80s Boxy Supermini following feedback. Changes Include defect corrections, revised wheelarches, smoothing and hopefully less fussy rear morphzones.

http://www.automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5544&start=40#p67898

regards

Mat
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:38 pm

I finally got around to rechecking it and I have to say that it is very nice.

Only thing I would add, when you have the time, is a two door coupe variant.
PreviousNext

Return to 3d Artists Modding Forum