Streets of Detroit

<<

oldgreg

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 WRX Wagon

Post Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Streets of Detroit

One of the most physically, mentally, and mechanically punishing tracks in F1 history, this downtown Detroit street circuit never failed to break less than half the cars in the grid. In 1984, on a dry track, only 6 of the 26 drivers on the grid finished the race, and of those six, one drove the last dozen or so laps with no second gear. With a rough, narrow, deteriorating asphalt surface between concrete walls with no runoff, Detroit was the great equalizer of the F1 calendar, where concentration, endurance, and reliability were more important than sheer speed.

F1: 1982-1988
CART: 1989-1991
Trans-Am: 1984-1991

My version of the track is a modern day recreation that differs in the main straight and first three corners. Detroit did a bit of urban renewal along the riverfront about 10 years ago and the main straight has been "beautified". I kept it as true to the original as would be possible today by moving that part of the track a block inland. Elevation changes were pulled from Google Earth, so probably not real accurate but at least a reasonable facsimile. One arbitrary change is that I moved the start/finish line further back along the main straight to increase the effect of a car's quarter mile performance and reduce the effect of a car's speed through the chicane, because America.

In honor of the horrific track conditions back in the 80's and Detroit's generally crappy roads, the "sportiness" of the track is 5 everywhere. That means that you'll need a car with high tameness to be fast here, and with so many slow corners and long straights you'll also want plenty of power-to-weight. Muscle cars ought to do well here.

3.9 km, counter clockwise circuit, predominantly flat but with 6m of elevation change. Encloses General Motors corporate HQ.

track.png
track.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2897 times
Attachments
Streets of Detroit.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
<<

TofuWarrior

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: No license!

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am

Re: Streets of Detroit

pookkydark wrote:I'm reading a lot of knowledge that I should read it. This post provides a good view up here.

GO AWAY.

Great work! As someone who is heavily disgusted by GM's shady past, I can't compliment the mindset of the person who came up with the placement :P Either way, this looks like a very good layout!
<<

jztemple

Cars: Mercury Grand Marquis

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 am

Re: Streets of Detroit

Thanks for posting this track! I'm an old F1 fan and I fondly remember the races in Detroit. And a very nice overhead image as well. Good work.

Return to Test Track Sharing Forum