TrackEdit 0.14 (Oct 24, 2015)

<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:08 am

Re: TrackEdit 0.11

The tool is now also available on the Automationhub website!

http://www.automationhub.net/downloads/tools
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

AlternateSteve90

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: A 2000 Ford Expedition.

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: TrackEdit 0.11

BitTwiddler wrote:You can try double clicking the jar, that sometimes works on windows. If you want you can try the early prototype of the windows launcher I wrote for it.

Just put it in the same folder as the jar, and then double click it (it's an exe) and it will do some tricky stuff to find your java install and run the jar with it.

launcher.zip

I tried all that, but sadly, it didn't work. I even tried changing the compatibility settings and running as an admin(on the exe!), afterwards, and that didn't work either.
<<

BitTwiddler

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1999 Ford Taurus SE

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: TrackEdit 0.12

That's really weird. That program uses the registry to locate your copy of java.

However! Time for an update everyone. You fearless tool maker has a new update for you. It has a few interesting features.

Change Log
  • A track layout selector. A simulation view. Using this you can get a preview of where the car will drive IN GAME. This feature is highly experimental, the display track path may not precisely match the in game track. But on the few tests I ran, it was very close.
  • Added a Track Double function. You can use it to add a flying lap.
  • Added a Round Distances function, this rounds all track segment distances to a tenth. This is useful after you have rescaled the track and you are plan to edit the track more, or if you are a numeric neat freak.
  • Fixed a bug with a newly added segment not being displayed in the track view until you adjust a value.
  • Replaced the trackview.bat with trackview.exe, which will try it's best to launch the program.
  • Gave the program an icon.
My Tools
TrackEdit - My Automation Track Editor

My Tracks
Grand Valley Speedway
Trial Mountain
Suzuka Circuit
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:25 pm

BitTwiddler wrote:
  • A track layout selector. A simulation view. Using this you can get a preview of where the car will drive IN GAME. This feature is highly experimental, the display track path may not precisely match the in game track. But on the few tests I ran, it was very close.
  • Added a Track Double function. You can use it to add a flying lap.

So much awesome!
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

Nivracer

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: -1946 Ford F1 (Project for Dad & I)
-2000 Ford Focus ZX3 (POS daily driver)
-BMW E30 325i coupe (Someday)

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:49 pm

I need help. The track in the editor is exactly on the red line. But the car doesn't follow it. I did used the simulation view too. If you need the file I will send it to you in a PM if you need it.
Attachments
Automation 1.jpg
Automation 1.jpg (470.93 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
Automation 2.jpg
Automation 2.jpg (500.05 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
<<

BitTwiddler

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:47 pm

That feature is highly experimental, as I noted. Until I can get word back from the developers, I can only guess how it works.
My Tools

My Tracks
Grand Valley Speedway
Trial Mountain
Suzuka Circuit
<<

Nivracer

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:40 am

BitTwiddler wrote:That feature is highly experimental, as I noted. Until I can get word back from the developers, I can only guess how it works.

I've used both views and get almost the same result. I can send you the files if you want to take a quick look.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 am

OK, so I made a real track today, instead of a NASCAR oval. Actually, I re-made a track today for Suzuka because it was never quite right before. Here are my

The good: I like the editor layout.
  • It makes it easier to see the track while making changes. The line is thinner than the previous editor which makes turning radii easier to gauge.
  • The larger image with the controls on the side do make the track easier to work with, so I do also like that a lot.
  • Finally, the elevation chart in v0.12 is fantastic! Phenomenal!! Brilliant!!!! Thank you so much for adding this. It was always the hardest part of making a track, being able to see what kind of slope was really there, and since I get most elevation data from a very similar chart from Google Earth, it is even easier to be sure I have it right. (No, I have not made any elevation changes on the new version of this track yet)
  • I have not yet tried the simulator.

The bad: I don't have many concerns with this editor, but there are a couple. Concerns probably isn't a good word to use here, but I can't think of a better way to say it.
  • I used v0.10 the first time because I was being super lazy and this one was already available to use on my laptop. The more curves used, the more the car goes off the line in-game, even though the editor line looks just fine. I updated to v0.12 but ran into the same issue. Track line in the editor looks perfect while in-game car line gets further off-track as it winds through the curves. I have no idea if there is a way to fix this. This is not a complaint, however, as the previous editor suffered the same exact issue on longer, curvier, technical tracks. My version of Suzuka has 44 segments, which isn't a lot for a 3.6 mile track, where only 18 of them are straights. I see your version actually has 55 segments, and also ends up off-track, so you're probably already aware of this. This is also only the second track I've done with this editor, and the only complex track. Perhaps it is just learning to use it better on my part. I will let you know if I figure anything else out.
  • I would actually like a way to resize the image in the editor. 1280x720 is larger than my available screen on a 1366x768 laptop once the controls and elevation map are added. Is there a way to make it automatically resize to the available window space after controls? It isn't a huge deal, but side-scrolling is just an extra thing to do, and can have part of the track hidden from view at times.

Suzy Track v3.zip
(256.54 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

More feedback to come...
<<

BitTwiddler

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:45 am

I don't have access to the system with the code for this at the moment (I should soon, I just moved so... you know). The simulation view is in the layout, which tries and get the track so it looks like the one in game, but it hasn't been heavily tested, and is highly experimental. I know it goes off the track, the way the game simulates the curves is different then how I do it.

Mine is highly precise using mathematics, while the game uses some kind of stepping method (because it has to actually drive the car on the track and all). But I haven't gotten a reply with the information I need to properly simulate how it works in game, so I can only guess.

Autoscaling the image based on the size of the window is certainly possible. I was considering adding a zoom option anyway, but it was low on the list of priorities.
My Tools

My Tracks
Grand Valley Speedway
Trial Mountain
Suzuka Circuit
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 pm

Yes, the first editor did the same thing, so it wasn't a complaint, just noting it was still present in your version too. It can be fixed manually, but can be really tedious on long tracks as you have to "Kentucky WIndage" it back onto the track which requires running the track and fixing where it goes off, then repeating. I have spent many hours trying to fix some tracks which were just stubborn as can be.

As for calculations, the game tracks the path in .2m increments, if that helps at all. That is what they told us soon after they implemented custom tracks.

And now the editor isn't opening files after working fine all afternoon. :(
<<

Nivracer

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:
  • The more curves used, the more the car goes off the line in-game, even though the editor line looks just fine. I updated to v0.12 but ran into the same issue. Track line in the editor looks perfect while in-game car line gets further off-track as it winds through the curves. I have no idea if there is a way to fix this.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was quite aggravated and confused when I figured that out. I guess I will have to for some more updates until I start making more rally tracks. I can wait though.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:04 am

It's not a new problem. ElSaico's editor had the same woes as BitTwiddler's editor with curves. The editor does just great on smaller and/or less technical tracks. I'm going to build a track using only simulator mode (experimental still) to see how it works for me later today. The few tracks I've looked at didn't seem to get that far off track in-game (a couple of them went off the map in simulation mode when perfect in precise mode), so we'll see if it does any better. It appears the actual game calculations are somewhere between these two modes. (or maybe I'm just awful at reading angles)
<<

BitTwiddler

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:47 am

If you have a bunch of examples of tracks that are both broken and fixed for proper in game travel (that is both a fixed version and the original editor version), I can just toss all that data into an neural network and have it figure out how to adjust the track for the in game. Unfortunately, I need a good training set, say 10-20 tracks like this (the more the better).
My Tools

My Tracks
Grand Valley Speedway
Trial Mountain
Suzuka Circuit
<<

HellBoyBG

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 pm

I have a question. I made a track with the online creator (at that time i didn't know about your program) now i'm remodeling the track in the program, but when i open it in Automation and press START nothing happens. I get this bug for a 3rd time now. I tried other cars on the track, same thing. Tried other custom tracks - works like a charm, but on mine the car just stays at one place, the gear number (red square) disperses and nothing happens. :( :(
<<

oldgreg

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 WRX Wagon

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am

I have a request for v0.13. Currently the editor won't allow any distance greater than 20km to be entered for the split time locations, though if you set them higher by editing the LUA file the editor displays them (numerically and graphically) and saves them without issue. Assuming it's a minor fix, could you please remove or increase the limit?

HellBoyBG wrote:I made a track with the online creator (at that time i didn't know about your program) now i'm remodeling the track in the program, but when i open it in Automation and press START nothing happens. I get this bug for a 3rd time now. I tried other cars on the track, same thing. Tried other custom tracks - works like a charm, but on mine the car just stays at one place, the gear number (red square) disperses and nothing happens. :( :(

There's probably something amiss in the LUA file, post it up here so we can take a look.
PreviousNext

Return to Test Track Sharing Forum