Request for track. Bathurst panorama raceway

<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Request for track. Bathurst panorama raceway

I don't have the kinda skills needed to make decent tracks, or right now the time to learn. That said I know several of you are very good at it and I was wondering if someone here would be willing to give a go at making the Bathurst Mount Panorama Circuit?
Last edited by nialloftara on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: Request for track.

I see a few different iterations of this track. Could you show an image of the track you'd like to see? If so, I can make one. It doesn't look really complicated. I don't want to make 5 different ones though. ;)
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Overview
rough height guide
video of lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4QpKaTNtc

The first image is what I'd like to see made.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Stupid question, but does the start/finish HAVE to be in the exact location? This track will have the same issue I ran into with Road Atlanta. It is a narrow facing front straight and to start it going right will make it tall and narrow, in other words, a very tiny map. If I start it AFTER turn 1, it will make a much nicer track, IMHO.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Something like this:

Mount Panorama Bathurst v.9.zip
Initial Track (still needs tuning on T18-22)
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 494 times

After an hour of tuning the turns from 18-on, this is the best I can do tonight. I will work on it more when I have some time. I don't really know much about the track, so if you have any line suggestions, feel free to post them up. :)
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:05 pm

you could just turn the track 90% ccw you know :lol: Then you can put the starting spot at the accurate spot. Besides, where the lap starts or ends can influence (non-rolling) lap times.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 am

Just for you, Dragawn. Problem with tiny maps is making precise turns. It is also a strain on my older eyes to see where it needs to go next. But here is rotated 90* ccw. The scale is not right (5176m vs. 6213m actual), but I'm not doing it again on this tiny map.

Mount Panorama Bathurst v.91.zip
(332.56 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:16 am

Re: Request for track. Bathurst panorama raceway

Thanks for your work! I'm training for a new job so my hours are even longer than normal but I hope to give this a try tonight.
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

Tyler

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2012 VW Golf TDI

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 am

The trick to this track is getting the elevation right. Modeling it just from an overhead view won't really capture it at all.

From the start line up to Turn 10, it rises about 490ft, then descends along the ridge line to T18 at ~+280ft, and then rapidly dives down Conrod straight, getting back to near datum (~+80ft) about halfway down conrod, and then gradually desceding the rest of the way back home.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 am

Tyler wrote:The trick to this track is getting the elevation right. Modeling it just from an overhead view won't really capture it at all.

From the start line up to Turn 10, it rises about 490ft, then descends along the ridge line to T18 at ~+280ft, and then rapidly dives down Conrod straight, getting back to near datum (~+80ft) about halfway down conrod, and then gradually desceding the rest of the way back home.

I used the image provided by the OP for elevation changes in the "slope" characteristics, which is pretty much just what you said. :)
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi everybody,

With 07CobaltGirl's permission, I've retuned the version of the track with the correct starting place. Being Australian, this track is extra special to me, so I was really keen to match corner speeds, cambers and elevation changes (including the big dip on Mountain Straight) with an equivalent car during a race, meaning I had to match the racing line. Fortunately, again being Australian, I've dialed up hundreds of laps across various sims, and chanced upon this great example lap by Craig Lowndes back in 2007, which demonstrates race pace (not qualifying pace, which is about 4 seconds faster).

EDIT: Thanks to fixing the scale, version with proper 6213m track length now uploaded! The change to time is minimal, and the corner speeds are about 1% faster, so time is made up going faster on the straights such that the track is overall only about 0.4% slower.

Have fun!
Attachments
MtPanorama.zip
(323.5 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Last edited by strop on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:32 am

I could probably give you some tips on how to fix the scale. :) Not as "fiddlly" as you might think.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

That would be great! (I kind of have an idea of my own, but being the queen of track building, you probably have something smarter figured out). My main worry is that fixing the scale so the track length is correct is going to throw the times and corner speeds off, which is my priority!

For example, I notice that Der Bayer's Green Hell, which simulates very accurate times, actually measures about 80m short on the Automation testing scale too, at least, if the way I figured it out is correct.
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:31 am

80 meters on The Green Hell? That is about 0.4%... I'd call that pretty close to perfect.
<<

stm316

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Ford Falcon BA XR6 (2004)
Ford Focus LS (2006)

Post Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:04 am

I know this is an INCREDIBLY OLD thread but I was just wondering if either of you (CobaltGirl07 or Strop) were planning on updating your Bathurst tracks. Using trackedit 0.14, I made my own (which ended up with skyline being 10m lower than real), but you two are much better at this stuff than most people.
Next

Return to Test Track Sharing Forum