FAQ  •  Login

How to build Custom Tracks

<<

jztemple

Cars: Mercury Grand Marquis

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: How to build Custom Tracks

07CobaltGirl wrote:The location of tracks has changed with the implementation of Steam. They are now located in ~/Documents/My Games/Automation/Tracks. Other than this change, they are still the same as they were before.

Thanks, that worked! I guess the old location was from when I had the demo installed.
<<

MrChips

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: E46 BMW 330Ci

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:30 pm

So I've taken up some track modeling recently, and I seem to be having a big problem with big discrepancies between the car in the in-game simulation and the track as drawn in TrackEdit. Does anyone have any tips regarding how to fix this, or does it just come down to "fudge it in the editor"?

What makes this frustrating is that this problem is not consistent whatsoever; some tracks I've made work perfectly fine, while others don't.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:56 pm

MrChips wrote:So I've taken up some track modeling recently, and I seem to be having a big problem with big discrepancies between the car in the in-game simulation and the track as drawn in TrackEdit. Does anyone have any tips regarding how to fix this, or does it just come down to "fudge it in the editor"?

What makes this frustrating is that this problem is not consistent whatsoever; some tracks I've made work perfectly fine, while others don't.

IIRC this is due to the way the game parses the information from the track editor. I think it's to do with the approximations of the curve that the track editor uses to draw the line. Both user-generated editors suffered from similar issues.

With the current format, especially in the new versions, there's no way around it. Worse, all the tracks up to now will, in future tweaks of the simulation, not work (see Der Bayer's work on BROBOT) as intended either, so all tracks will have to be tweaked a bit, but at least we'd then be able to make tracks that simulate more predictably.

In short, it's best to wait a few months before making any new tracks.
<<

BitTwiddler

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1999 Ford Taurus SE

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:52 am

I am sorry for the error that trackedit produces. The problem is that I don't know how to make it act like the simulated version, otherwise I would use it. I have some psudo-code for the real thing, but I was never able to figure out exactly what was going on in it.

Edit: I take it back, I am now having great success figuring it out, having recognized what the psudo-code is based off from.
My Tools
TrackEdit - My Automation Track Editor

My Tracks
Grand Valley Speedway
Trial Mountain
Suzuka Circuit
Previous

Return to Test Track Sharing Forum