FAQ  •  Login

Komodo Motoring - Sumo A (1962)

<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:12 am

Re: Komodo Motoring - Ashisutanto/"Assitant" Review

about a month after we got the car from GSI, we got another one from Airborne Motor Company.

first up is the name they proposed.
Komodo Motoring Ashisutanto *Ashisutanto = assistant in japanese kanji

this time around. the looks are pretty different. it gives the impression that the car is wider that it actually is.
and it look a bit more stylish and sporty, which was........ totally different from how it actually handles. which was brilliant! :)

if we were to compare it to the 'alpha', every fixtures are bigger, more aggressive, and more pronounced. it wants to make a clear statement of "i'm here!". and it's quite good at it.

now for the engine. they proposed their lineup of commercial engine called the 'worker' lineup. it was a nice fit for the car itself. but we had our own plan, and while the engine fits the car, it doesn't fit so well with our plan of making other variants of the car, which might include the wagon, pickup, or something else that we haven't finalized yet. their engine just wasn't making enough power for it, or at least, didn't have much more room for easy future improvement.

these was the stats as they sent it.

but we chose to use our own engine after all. and these were the stats.

note that this was our original engine when the further improvement on the KoM engine with GSI help was just starting. and our judgement was done at that time, an not after the new engine design are finalized.

and the verdict.

the ashisutanto rides very firmly and planted. it feels really well designed. the interior also looks it's made with better quality, nicely designed gauges, leatherette seats, and a VERY pretty shift knob to the point that some of the people here are trying to make the imitation of it and using it themselves. geez, those guys.

it's also relatively safer than the alpha thanks to the safety concerned design, it's using an advanced safety features for the time.

but there's a downfall to all the 'niceness'.

the safety features are nice and takes a long time to produce, but it's a necessity for the market we're aiming for yet.
but even when we take out all the safety features that we can, it's still pretty safe because of the whole frame design. which brings it to the next point,

weight. it's pretty significantly heavier than the alpha, which gave the car a planted and firm feeling. but at the cost of fuel efficiency and overall running costs for the customer.

all that boils down to COST and PRODUCTION TIME. on our calculation, we would be able to make around 9-10 car per day if we pick this car, but we could make around 12 of 'alpha'. which might not sound much, but it helps when we need to be a 'penny pincher' to grow at this stage of the company.

overall. this is a nice car. but expensive and takes time to make. and the alpha are not as nice, but it's a nice compromise for the cost
<<

Oskiinus

Cars: Not a car, but I own Arkus Classic Junior in black ;)

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:44 am

Re: Komodo Motoring - The Proposed Car (Review) - Finished

Oh, so you didn't choose my car just because it's expensive to produce? I'm not surprised, however it's nice that you reviewed it.
You could fit some info from Airborne's thread review, I've explained the car pretty well with Worker engine. (Worker is also a name of the car and the name is a ridiculous pun of communism in Poland btw). This engine can reach even values around 60-70 hp if you would use dual carburettors. However, do what you want.

Is Komodo Motoring still keeping prototype Ashin? Because there are 12 ones officially made, for testing purposes.

EDIT. Do I need to say that if the company would base on Worker's designs, they could easily make even panel vans? :D
CEO of Airborne Automotive, Airborne Motor Group and Co-CEO of it's sub-brands :D
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5895 - Thread!
<<

koolkei

Post Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:45 am

Oskiinus wrote:Oh, so you didn't choose my car just because it's expensive to produce? I'm not surprised, however it's nice that you reviewed it.
You could fit some info from Airborne's thread review, I've explained the car pretty well with Worker engine. (Worker is also a name of the car and the name is a ridiculous pun of communism in Poland btw). This engine can reach even values around 60-70 hp if you would use dual carburettors. However, do what you want.

Is Komodo Motoring still keeping prototype Ashin? Because there are 12 ones officially made, for testing purposes.

EDIT. Do I need to say that if the company would base on Worker's designs, they could easily make even panel vans? :D

well not just expensive. but waaaayyy too many man hours. if it were a little closer to the main goal, like 70-72 production unit, you would've taken the trophy.

keeping it? more like using it. we love that car, we take turns using it ;) it's REALLY good from a car standpoint, quite a bit better than the alpha. but from the business standpoint, remember? small company? would like to spend as little as possible and not take too many risky steps on our first stride.

although.... would it be still relevant, we would update it and possibly use it in some way.

the first plan was to make 1 car and lots of trim. but seeing the car just have untapable potential right now, depending on the sales, if we could afford it, maybe we would use both, but with a differentiation.

one for passenger and commuter car, the other more to the utility side.
<<

Oskiinus

Post Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:04 am

koolkei wrote:
Oskiinus wrote:Oh, so you didn't choose my car just because it's expensive to produce? I'm not surprised, however it's nice that you reviewed it.

well not just expensive. but waaaayyy too many man hours. if it were a little closer to the main goal, like 70-72 production unit, you would've taken the trophy.

keeping it? more like using it. we love that car, we take turns using it ;) it's REALLY good from a car standpoint, quite a bit better than the alpha. but from the business standpoint, remember? small company? would like to spend as little as possible and not take too many risky steps on our first stride.

although.... would it be still relevant, we would update it and possibly use it in some way.

the first plan was to make 1 car and lots of trim. but seeing the car just have untapable potential right now, depending on the sales, if we could afford it, maybe we would use both, but with a differentiation.

one for passenger and commuter car, the other more to the utility side.

Okay. And about keeping it, I meant 2015 situation (if Komodo still exists), because it's pretty obvious that in 1956 you would have it in-company. Airborne's CEO is keeping one of 12 Ashisuantos in garage in Tarnów :D
CEO of Airborne Automotive, Airborne Motor Group and Co-CEO of it's sub-brands :D
<<

koolkei

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:22 am

Oskiinus wrote:Okay. And about keeping it, I meant 2015 situation (if Komodo still exists), because it's pretty obvious that in 1956 you would have it in-company. Airborne's CEO is keeping one of 12 Ashisuantos in garage in Tarnów :D

about keeping it. well it was used on a normal basis up to the 1970s. and then got too broken to use. but since it'a a piece of komodo motors history, back in 2010 we started the restoration project, alongside with it a replica. so now we have more than 1 ;)
<<

Oskiinus

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:51 am

:D
Good to know
<<

koolkei

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 am

Re: Komodo Motoring - Ichigo Series

after almost a month of nothingness. here's a news

it's 1956. only a few months after we prepared the car. now the finishing touches are done. the car is ready for production.

but, after some consideration, we ended up asking GSI for a second trim. which they gave a nod to. this time, a 4 door trim for the family market. it may require a bit more investment, but it's only some minor engineering changes to the chassis and interior, taking about 2 weeks.

we are finally releasing our car onto the market. our very first car for the rising public of japan.

Komodo Saisho Kazoku (meaning 'Family No.1')
Komodo Alpha - Ichigo  Kazoku-2.png
Komodo Alpha - Ichigo Kazoku-2.png (934.98 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

and the
Komodo Saisho Kozan (meaning 'My No.1')
Komodo Alpha - Ichigo Kozan-1.png
Komodo Alpha - Ichigo Kozan-1.png (868.17 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

considering the market of the time. this is a really precarious market. while passenger car dominating, the kei-car market is growing like mushroom. it's everywhere.

we just hope to make a name for ourselves with this car.
<<

koolkei

Post Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: Komodo Motoring - Saisho Tsuru (1960)

it has been 4 years now. the Saisho is selling..... okay. it's not really a hit on the market, but it's good enough for a new manufacturer.
we need some refresh since we are essentially only offering 2 cars.

so now we are offering a slight update to the lineup.

Komodo Saisho Tsuru

it's basically a modified Saisho Kazoku, with a larger cabin on the rear. for more utility uses and practicality reasons.
mechanically. quite literally nothing has changed, since we really only put a new shell on it.

but we really think it's not enough, it's been 5 years and we really only have essentially 1 car. we need a new car, and fast, if we want to keep up. do we outsource again? or do we make do with what we have?

whatever it is. it's a clue for an upcoming car in the next few years ;)
Attachments
Komodo Alpha - Saisho Tsuru-2.png
Komodo Alpha - Saisho Tsuru-2.png (983.57 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
<<

koolkei

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Komodo Motoring - Sumo A

with the increasing amount of interest in racing sport, both on 2 wheels and 4 wheels, people have been modifiying their vehicles to go faster and faster.
the demand for sportier cars are also on the rise. people's economy is also rising like never before. this gave the last push for us to make this car.

Sumo A

it's being sold in 3 ways:
- fully assembled, with a price tag equivalent of $1760 in 1962
- half assembled, cost only 80% compared to fully assembled. the engine and transmission are assembled (but not yet coupled) and the rest of the car comes in pieces with instructions
- chassis/body only, cost only 60% compared to fully assembled car for those who want to put other engine on our car body

using existing engine, but modified to outputs almost 76HP at the crank.
on a newly developed semi monocoque chassis, with fibre glass panels, making it easier to assemble the car yourself.
parts are shared with our Kaisho lineup, which means spare parts are much easier to get.
despite being a sports car, it still managed more than 12km/l (28MPG), also means you can drive it as often as you want, without worrying about the cost of gas.
thanks to the monocoque chassis, it keeps the weight down to around 560kg, while still giving decent crash protection.
155/75R13 tires also helps at keeping the car planted at any speed and at any corner.

overall, what's not to like? :)
Attachments
Komodo Sumo A.zip
(87.54 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Previous

Return to Car Design Sharing Forum