The official AMW thread

<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: The official AMW thread

Well, I made two engines for this car when developing it: this 2.0 turbo I4 and a 3.5L NA V8 (with 520hp). Needless to say that both of the engines are expensive to make and require some high quality parts to produce. But the turbo I4 is not only cheaper and slightly more economical, it's also lighter and the car overall performs better with this engine than with the V8, surprisingly enough. I thought for sure that it would be faster with the V8 because of the better drivability but I was wrong.
<<

Oskiinus

Cars: Not a car, but I own Arkus Classic Junior in black ;)

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:33 pm

TheTom wrote:Well, I made two engines for this car when developing it: this 2.0 turbo I4 and a 3.5L NA V8 (with 520hp). Needless to say that both of the engines are expensive to make and require some high quality parts to produce. But the turbo I4 is not only cheaper and slightly more economical, it's also lighter and the car overall performs better with this engine than with the V8, surprisingly enough. I thought for sure that it would be faster with the V8 because of the better drivability but I was wrong.

Well, Tom, that was your way to keep the car under 1000 kg? Well, my strategy was just to put carbon fiber everywhere xD
CEO of Airborne Automotive, Airborne Motor Group and Co-CEO of it's sub-brands :D
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5895 - Thread!
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:18 am

It is also from carbon fibre. And you know, when you're hunting for performance, every kg matters. So if the engine weighs 10-15kg less while also delivering more performance (despite having 10hp less), I don't see why I wouldn't go for it.
<<

Oskiinus

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

TheTom wrote:It is also from carbon fibre. And you know, when you're hunting for performance, every kg matters. So if the engine weighs 10-15kg less while also delivering more performance (despite having 10hp less), I don't see why I wouldn't go for it.

Yes. Inline 4 is always lighter than V8.
CEO of Airborne Automotive, Airborne Motor Group and Co-CEO of it's sub-brands :D
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:32 am

Here is the new Mamba, with revised aesthetics and 3 different engines available!

EDIT: Don't mind the typo, the 1.5L is also an I4.
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:08 am

Shortly after the outgoing generation of the Eagle has been reviewed and compared to other rivals in its class, here is the announced new generation!

One of the major changes can be seen from the outside, and that is the new bodyshell we are now using, mainly because the old one was just kind of dated and also because this is just as small, even a little bit lighter and just as sleek.

The second major change is that the differences in suspension tuning between the eco, fun and sport lines are now much more meaningful. Eco is now tuned for more comfort and drivability, sport more towards sport, and fun for somewhere in between but still more on the drivability side. Also, there is now a Base version with a naturally aspirated Inline 6 engine which features the same suspension setup as the 6-cylinder Eco models.
Eco and Fun models have 16 inch alloy rims on medium compound tires, whereas the Sport versions get 17 inch alloy rims on sport compound tires.
All models except for the Base version are available in either rear-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive. The reason the base version isn't available with AWD is that if you buy the base version, you want something cheap and fun. And since RWD is both cheaper and more fun, AWD is not an option for it.

Many engines have been retuned.
The 2.5 fun engine now has a broader torque band and slightly improved economy compared to the previous tune.
The 2.5 sport engine has slightly increased power, slightly lower torque but a significantly wider torque band, an increased redline of now 7400RPM and significantly higher throttle response (now 45.0 instead of 37.4). All that while also making the engine more efficient.

The 4.5L fun engine has been slightly retuned for better drivability and slightly improved economy.
The 4.5L sport engine has been changed to now produce 450hp instead of 400hp due to turbo tweaking and cam profile optimisation without compromising drivability or economy, but making for much better performance.

The Eagle HP now comes with AWD as standard. For those brave enough to opt for RWD only, they can have it be RWD only (with no extra charge). This is mainly because the Sport X 8 is stupid fast accelerating with the new retuned engine, and we don't want people going like "Why does the HP cost almost twice as much when it's actually slower?"

Also, the prices have changed. This is because the outgoing Eagle was built in the old build before markets (and therefore estimated MSRPs) were in the game. Now that they are, we have a much clearer impression of how much we want to charge for each individual model. Our customers will be happy, though, as most (if not all) versions are now cheaper than before!

Last edited by TheTom on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:35 am

I CAN FLY!!!

*jumps off bridge and falls in water*
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

Oskiinus

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:16 am

Speedemon wrote:I CAN FLY!!!

*jumps off bridge and falls in water*

I can fly too. Airborne (as a company) got it's name from custom '40 Chevrolet that went airborne from a jump, so...
BTW. Great design Tom, as always.
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks Oskiinus! :)
Also, if you had the money, would you buy one? And which version?
I don't know about you guys but I think the Sport X 8 would be an absolute top seller in today's market because it's kind of like a Nissan GTR for the "Premium sports car" market (as opposed to the supercar market that the GTR is in) for a much lower price than, say, a BMW M4 or even a Hellcat.
<<

Starfish94

Cars: Am a car salesman , drive anything which is available to get me home.

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

If i had the money i would get the Eco 6.

Looks like a great deal
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:43 am

Yeah, the Eco 6 is also a totally reasonable choice! I mean 6.3 seconds from 0-100km/h is faster than a Toyota GT-86, combined with the fuel economy of my parents' Volvo V40 diesel (with the 1.9L 95hp engine) and also the price (in Austria) of the cheapest BMW 1series currently on sale makes this a very appealing offer indeed.
Personally, I'd probably go for the Sport 6 because I've always wanted an E36 M3 and the Eagle Sport 6 is like that car in many ways: similar power, similar weight, similar acceleration time, focussed on handling and driving experience, etc. Only that the Eagle is more modern and therefore has a better chassis, a more efficient engine, better suspension, better brakes and it's a new car! It's hard to find an E36 M3 in good condition these days, and you can never really be sure how long it'll last even if you buy one that appears to be well-kept.

However I have to say that I'd also be very tempted by the Sport X 8 but I think it would be a bit too much for me to handle. I think I would underestimate my speeds in that car because it accelerates so fast it's hard to get used to for someone who doesn't drive fast cars very often.
<<

Ben1014

Cars: As soon as I get my license, a 2005 Buick Terraza

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:32 am

Can u post a download link for the AMW Straight track?
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:02 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s0o4rz714xgl ... t.zip?dl=0

Just unzip it into Documents/My Games/Automation/Tracks
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:05 am

Let's jump back to 1967. Vector Automotive had just released the Intrigue Rallye (which can be seen on ConeDodger240's youtube channel). Of course, AMW had to build a car that would be able to compete with the Intrigue Rallye's performance. The Intrigue had a 3.2L V8 with a bit over 200hp and it weighed slightly over 1000kg. AMW took a different approach and took a smaller body with shorter wheelbase and just 3.68m overall length, then made the panels from light-weight fibre glass and put a 2.6L 16V I4 engine with 171hp into it. With its 4-speed manual transmission and no equipment on the inside other than the basic essentials (and standard 60's safety), this car weighed just 767kg! Being RWD and running on 175mm sports tyres all around, this car is guaranteed to put a smile onto your face! 0-100km/h is completed in 7 seconds, it'll reach a top speed of over 200km/h and best of all, it's also cheaper than the Intrigue Rallye at 12.075$

On top of that, it set the trend for future small, compact sports coupes. Especially the rear end, which other cars such as the Mercedes 190 Evo got influenced by (not the other way round).

So what do you think? Instant classic or fading temptation?

Greets,
Tom
<<

Oskiinus

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Well... I think that this little coupe would be like "cool and unique classic for company fans, but just a piece of ugly old car to others"
PreviousNext

Return to Car Design Sharing Forum