FAQ  •  Login

Gryphon Gear: Rare Beasts of the Track (Lilith prototype)

<<

thecarlover

Cars: Not the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet in the photo.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:48 am

Re: Gryphon Gear: Rare Beasts of the Track (revamped story!)

strop wrote:The other problem I have is now that we (beta testers) have been working with killrob (actually, I'm not doing very much except asking questions, killrob's doing most of the work) to iron out the drag issues, we've now noticed that not every mod body necessarily has an appropriate Cd. thecarlover mentioned very briefly when making their bodies that the Cd of each body ought to be calculated based not on the car's actual effective area but on the body without any vents or aerodynamically significant fixtures (since vents and wings etc. will add to your effective area significantly).

I will be adding versions of the Murciélago and sorta-Diablo with removable tops, and I've already lowered the Cd values slightly on the bodies to put them slightly more in line with the McLaren bodies. That being said, both cars have some amount of integrated lips unlike the McLaren, so the Cd value will be higher regardless because of that, but still much lower than the real cars. Cd isn't as important on more regular cars, as long as it's in the right ballpark, but for supercar bodies any little tweak can make a big difference when pushing them to their limits of speed.
Car showcase thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8227
Mods thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8552

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:52 am

I haven't checked yet, but what about the amount of body lip compared to the McLaren body? I presume due to the integrated features that too would be higher?
<<

thecarlover

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:58 am

strop wrote:I haven't checked yet, but what about the amount of body lip compared to the McLaren body? I presume due to the integrated features that too would be higher?

Yeah, they've both got that lip at the front, and IRL the McLaren actually has a higher drag value and I find that it's excessively low in the game. I could lower the Cd of both Lamborghini bodies to be the same as the McLarens, even with the lip. They're currently changed to be in the low 20s, while the released versions are in the mid 20s.

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:29 am

I'll have to build a proper MP4-12C replica and take a look at the spreadsheet to figure out what the McLaren body Cd really ought to be, but as it is, it's the only body capable of the superlative top speeds even with lower power outputs that we see from certain other cars that vaguely resemble it. Others, well, I guess they use an even more aerodynamic body.

I'd definitely change the values though. It's actually not that easy to prevent lift at the front with the Murcielago body, and despite a low downforce run hot setup, I'm pushing 1500hp and getting a top speed of 408km/h, which seems about 30-40km/h too slow even for this body. At any rate, I also put the dimensions into the dev spreadsheet and got suggested figures between 0.20-0.21 for the body alone (given a real 2001 Murcielago has a Cd of 0.33). As for lift values, I also got Front -0.0168 and Rear -0.0288, if that's of any help to you.
<<

thecarlover

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 am

I changed it to 0.21, and the Diablo-ish one to 0.2, so my estimates are pretty spot on. For lift, I have -0.0263 in front and -0.0213 for the rear using the spreadsheet in the dev kit, though my estimates for the values leading to that might be a bit off. Is there a new spreadsheet for these calculations?

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Probably not? For "front aero" I just put "lots" because the body already looks like it has a giant splitter on the front :P but seriously, even when I double lip the front, and double wing the back, it's not that easy to maintain a no-lift front. Not that I'm sure this actually needs changing.
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None right now.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 pm

So, are you preparing a story for the Kusanagi? I don't mean to be pushy or anything, but it's been a little while... :P
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
Rennen. Perfection in Performance.™
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Yes, and I'm actually very sorry that it's running this late! I've been chipping away at it daily for the last month and a half, but have already blown every conceivable deadline.

The Kusanagi story is actually pivotal to GG's development program, hence I'm taking great care in what it covers. The content is perhaps slightly unconventional, but it will all make sense...

Except to see the story within a week
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:42 am

Very interesting design and also it's good to see someone put this much effort into the storyline too, and keep it believeable.

I'm not sure the design is coherent (I'm quite sure it is not, actually), so things will probably change.

Commenting on the Ouroboros styling - I'm not sure if something that wild and experimental NEEDS TO be coherent in the traditional sense. I think you can look at this thing as a statement that is like a sentence: It has a beginning and an end and it says something meaningful. If the language isn't quite the same in the beginning as it is in the end, then perhaps the story it is telling has more direction.

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:00 am

While I agree with that sentiment (GG as a company is evolving after all), when it comes to styling, I'm not quite as certain. Too busy confuses, it detracts from the impact, the eye can't follow what's going on. There has to be a certain sense of flow, a common language, regardless of complexity (see: Mazda Furai).

With that, I went back and changed a few things, hence now we're on to draft 2:

Car -58.png
Car -58.png (222.47 KiB) Viewed 16665 times

Car -59.png
Car -59.png (273.65 KiB) Viewed 16665 times

Car -60.png
Car -60.png (231.67 KiB) Viewed 16665 times

I thought to myself: how can I arrange the venting on the rear bootlid such that it encourages flow towards the center of the rear? And why would I want to do that? Because more air flowing over the bootlid means more air flowing over the wing, which is what I want. Also, there's a parallel to the principle of high maneuverability aircraft prototypes with forward sweeping wings to redirect the air towards the midline. At least that's the idea (as half-baked as it is).
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:48 am

Re: Gryphon Gear: Rare Beasts of the Track (Ouroboros protot

I can't really comment on the aerodynamics of it, but styling-wise the rear end looks spot-on to me. As for the front, it's distinctive and evolutionary and definitely has an original personality. My 2 cents would be about how to attract the eye even more to the headlight shape which is very interesting and reptilian in an unusual (good) way.

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

UMGaming

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: None :(

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:41 am

strop wrote:more air flowing over the wing, which is what I want.

Don't you mean under the wing because air going under wings is what actually makes the downforce thus why some racing teams have top mounted wings.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Eh good point, my phrasing was a bit imprecise. What I really meant was more air being redirected over the bootlid towards the wing.

I need to look into if and how top mounted sings are legal for pedestrian crash safety. I do tend to use them myself but vaguely think they're not road legal.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Gryphon Gear: Rare Beasts of the Track (another draft)

Ever since Razyx commended another user for being able to find a way to plant certain fixtures that wrapped around sharp vertices (I can't remember for the life of me who it was, which makes me sad), I've been looking into ways to defy the shape of the body even further. One of the bodies that lends itself more greatly to this challenge is the not F-40 body. I said to myself, everybody tends to follow the vertices of this body when placing their fixtures. And why shouldn't we, it looks great when you do! (refer to squidhead's newest car in his KHT thread). But I get tired of working within those same constraints, so I wondered if there was a way to bring that 90s body into the new millenium and beyond. For the base I tried to emulate the slanted nose cone look like on the Ferraris of the noughties (e.g. Enzo), but also tried to take it to a new extreme, like, say, Veneno or even Egoista (though it's impossible to really replicate the Egoista, that's how ridiculous it is).

Car -61.png
Car -61.png (197.08 KiB) Viewed 16595 times

Car -62.png
Car -62.png (227.63 KiB) Viewed 16595 times

Car -63.png
Car -63.png (215.56 KiB) Viewed 16595 times

Rough draft. Without a doubt this car definitely needs to be in a more powerful tier than the eco-hypercar. Unfortunately it does not lend itself to large powerplants, but I managed to shoehorn 1000bhp into it (without needing the proverbial oil refinery). On regular P Zeros it'll be good for 6:45 around Nordschleife which is okay for what it is.
<<

thecarlover

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:54 am

Ooh, now that's an interesting design. I've made a car with vents changing the shape of it, but it didn't look nearly as good as this. Definitely look much more modern than an F40.

Previous

Return to Car Design Sharing Forum