FAQ  •  Login

Engine tips needed!

<<

Sillyworld

Cars: Mazda 3 hatchback

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:56 am

Re: Engine tips needed!

Sometimes I go as high as 15 psi for special versions... but really why would you need higher boost? As it was pointed out, until very recently the companies start to use higher psi values, but that's because of fuel emissions and fuel economy, and with modern technology (twin scroll, twincharging, variable...etc) runing higher psi is not a problem. Until maybe 10 years ago, it was pretty usual that the cars run up to 12 psi, and 10 years before that 8 psi. Even now, if you put a turbo in your car, unless you go crazy and only use your car in dragstrips, you must likely get 8-10 psi from an aftermarket turbo.
It has to do with designing philosophy as well, why would I need a small 2L engine to put 600hp?
Currently in game, to make a turbo with high boost efficient, you will need to made your turbos bigger, and you'll end up with a horrendous amounts of turbolag, less reliability and only getting power in the higher rpms with a low fuel economy... and hurting drivability, throtle response and comfort. For a racing application is good, as the stats don't matter and you only want to go faster. But for a street car, I rather to swap to a bigger engine with more cylinders if possible. Or simply a bigger NA engine, because NA requires less colling (aka less drag) are ligher (comparing a na and a turbo of the same size) and don't have a drivability penalty.

And, using 18psi for a rubish 144 hp per liter? or worse in case of mercedez... 22 psi and barely 100-120hp per liter? I can get those figures easily with 12 psi.
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:30 am

Modern turbos have better flow design allowing them to run higher boost pressures without excessive drag and heat buildup. The reason for the need to run high boost pressures OTOH, is the small size of modern turbos and the reason for that is the desire for very low boost treshold (the rpm at which full boost is achieved). Small turbos spool-up earlier. So modern road cars have small turbos running big boost. Also race cars that have air restrictors use a similar configuration - they are rpm-limited because of the air restriction hence they need to make a lot of power low-down. A modern passenger car turbo will lose efficiency in the high rpm range, but multivalve heads with their breathing capacity allow decent top end power still. Early high-performance turbo engines such as the Porsche 930 would spool up late but push full boost all the way to and beyond the redline rpm (bigger turbos, lower boost pressures).

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
<<

ArtsemKela

Cars: BMW

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 am

Engine tips needed

Hi Guys,

Help desperately needed. Ive blown a piston and need a engine rebuild. I live in Sydney does anyone know a decent mechanic that they have used for a job like this before?

Thanks

Dave
Чтобы удержать лидерство, надо просто лучше работать http://www.elegantic.ru
<<

squidhead

Cars: BMW E34

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:19 am

Уверен что в Сиднее?
<<

TurboJ

Cars: Alfa Romeo 75, Ford Puma

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:29 am

I have started uploading guide videos about tuning and optimizing an engine in Automation. First video is up right now!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10054

J.S.C Automobili S.p.A - Exclusive sports cars since 1959
J.S.C Motori Speciali - My open-source performance engines
Patriot Motor Force - 'Murican Evolutionary muscle cars

My Engine Tuning Video Guides
Previous

Return to Engine Sharing Forum