FAQ  •  Login

Any interest for well rounded engines?

<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:58 am

Any interest for well rounded engines?

I don't make post here very often, iv'e become a lurker more than anything, but I still play a healthy amount of Automation.

If this engine interests anyone, I would be willing to release a few more like this for download for use in your own vehicles.

The goal with the 'well rounded' engine series:
- 100hp per Liter
- 30% efficiency
- As inexpensive to produce as possible

Please tell me what you guys think, and if you would like me to continue this series.

<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:22 am

Re: Any interest for well rounded engines?

Seriously guys, nothing?
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:59 am

A lot of members here focus on building realistic engines. I don't think anyone has requested your engines because then they'd have to credit you in their car. My company is a fully independent manufacturer and always will be :)
I did note your engine, it would be cool to see what car you pair it up with - there are many people who focus on building realistic cars too. Its not all 700hp supercars :)
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 pm

utopian201 wrote:*Snip*

I don't understand what you're saying; You think this engine is unrealistic, or people are just trying to make real life replicas?

Also I never planned to ask for credit, I just wanted to see if people liked my engine and if they would use it their vehicles.

This engine was also more of showpiece to show people that decent performance does not mean you need to sacrifice efficiency.
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:21 pm

I meant your engine is a well balanced realistic engine. It is all too common to see engines here producing hundreds of hp that cost a lot because quality sliders have been used to +15, but it is how new members learn and start off (nothing wrong with that!).

I like seeing much cheaper cars with less HP give these high powered cars a bloody nose acceleration, track time and stat wise.
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:48 am

I'd probably be interested in your engines, except for the turbochargers (and it being an I4). An N/A V8/V6/I6 in a similar condition (but 2.0-6.0L) would be great (or even 85-90hp/liter). I just don't consider forced induction part of a "well rounded" engine, as they introduce so much unreliability. I see this one is 72 reliability, which is great, but it is also a tiny motor (by American standards). I use significantly larger engines than this for my company. I also use F/R configurations for drivetrain. This engine would not work in one of my cars, as I don't make hot-hatches, economy boxes, or family cars. When we get V6s, I will probably use a lot of those as base model engines. I don't ever see myself having much use for an I4, and I have a lot of problems with I6s fitting into things, or just being too underpowered (I'm not great at tuning engines).
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 am

07CobaltGirl wrote: (I'm not great at tuning engines).

But tuning engines was how SME got started!
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 am

Well, I didn't say I'm no good at it. I said I'm not great! I've been shown by a few people around here how my engines could be more powerful, efficient, or reliable. I have no problem with it. I'm still learning new things every day, even more than a year later.
<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:29 am

07CobaltGirl wrote:*Snip*

Let me whip something up along the lines of 2-4L NA for you then. If you like it, ill happily send you the engine file.
<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:10 pm

@07CobaltGirl

Here are two attempts.

Both NA as requested, but this made it impossible to achieve 100hp per L as well as 30% efficiency while keeping costs reasonable.

Even your 80-90hp per L request was not achievable, the best I could manage on short notice was around 70hp per L.

3.1L V8 @ 72.91hp per L: http://i.imgur.com/IEtYdgb.jpg
224hp
30.01%
52.9 Manhours

5L V8 @ 71.94hp per L: http://i.imgur.com/obZzj2R.jpg
360hp
30.06%
54.6 Manhours

Turbos really help alot, and so this is the best I could do on short notice. Let me know what you think, if you are interested let me know; There is a little more squeezing room on these as far as cost goes.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Good job with the efficiency! And actually decent power too. I build performance cars, however. This engine is a bit bigger than your 5.0L, but it will give you an idea of what I prioritize. See if you can get the efficiency up on this one without increasing costs or decreasing horsepower/torque terribly. Currently, it is .3L larger than yours (don't alter this) and in the ~80-90hp/L range with 23.7% efficiency using MOHV. I know it's in there, but I just haven't found it yet. To see the car it goes into, have a look at this page. It's the base engine shown below. I have not created the engine for the car shown yet. This was an experiment using the new Modern OHV in the Steam release.

07CobaltGirl-LS4.zip
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:I'd probably be interested in your engines, except for the turbochargers (and it being an I4). An N/A V8/V6/I6 in a similar condition (but 2.0-6.0L) would be great (or even 85-90hp/liter). I just don't consider forced induction part of a "well rounded" engine, as they introduce so much unreliability. I see this one is 72 reliability, which is great, but it is also a tiny motor (by American standards).

Which more or less explains why Ford decided to bring their new Mustang to Europe; everyone in the original market seems to detest turbocharged I4s for being untraditional.
<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:*Snip*

@07CobaltGirl

Unfortunately without sacrificing large amounts of power there is no significant room for improvement on your engine other than 1-2% at most.

Also keeping to your engine family displacement requirements makes this even more of a challenge as I cannot work my magic to the fullest.

However that being said, here is what I manage to work;

List of changes:
- Complete change of family materials, block is now AlSi, head material is now Iron
- Crank changed to cast iron (Forged was adding unnecessary cost which was recuperated elsewhere)
- Various Compression & cam timing changes
- Decreased fuel mixture & ignition timing decreased drastically

The very challenging situation with given parameters meant that, alot better could be done with an entirely new engine design with different trade offs and benefits. As such here is an alternative: http://puu.sh/gNo5Z/d451f5876c.jpg

Let me know what you think of both the one below and especially the alternative above if you are okay with the idea of a complete rebuild.

<<

ma23

Cars: Vtak-Yo!

Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:21 pm

5325cc N/A V8
32.70% economy.
Less mats cost, more man hours. (all quality sliders set to 0)
113 hp/L
Attachments
5.3L economy.jpg
5.3L economy.jpg (211.46 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:38 pm

@ ma23 - Good try, but that is a DOHC motor. I can make tons of power out of a DOHC, but I prefer OHV. You could probably get even more power out of yours (and maybe efficiency too) by using 32V and VVL.

@ Deskjetser - Those are pretty good. Roughly same power with more efficiency. The redesign is also the same price. The rebuild of mine costs substantially more and has significantly lower reliability, however. Overall, very nice job. I am open to a rebuild. As you can see, mine is a replica of a GM LS4 5.3L. If you follow me on the forum much, you'll know almost all of my engines are Small Block Chevy builds. My car company is a tuning shop building cars American Motors style, which means using parts from other manufacturers and Frankenstein-ing them together. I see no reason why I can't Frankenstein someone other than Chevrolet into my cars, if they are good enough. ;)

You know my criteria. Let me know what you can put together for me. PM me if you need more info or have questions. You can try to throw a turbo at me, but it needs to be designed for a 1600kg car, which means I4s probably won't cut it. I love I6s except they are terribly difficult to fit into many cars. V8s are far more reasonable for fitment, but huge gas guzzlers.

If you need a test car, let me know. I have 2 I am currently working on. I have to rebuild a ZX model still, after the Steam update, so that one is not currently available. I would actually like something a bit larger for the new one listed on my company page. It is currently running an LS3 in the 530hp range at 21MPG.
Next

Return to Engine Sharing Forum