FAQ  •  Login

Any interest for well rounded engines?

<<

ma23

Cars: Vtak-Yo!

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Any interest for well rounded engines?

4 valve VVL would not gain anything over the 5 valve. The engine as I made it is limited by too many other things to gain low end performance with VVL.
Using MOHV you won't get 100 hp/l nor 30% efficiency and the power is in the low 400s. All the while, DOHC broke 600 hp and achieves all the goals in the first post.
If you're gonna want a 5.3L MOHV N/A engine, you're gonna have to set up the guidelines or start a new thread. As of right now, all I can assume is that your main concern is efficiency.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Well, since this isn't my thread, it wasn't a challenge from me. It was a request to the OP. I understand the limitations of OHV/MOHV. I also understand the advantages of OHC in any form. I have my priorities and my preferences. Perhaps the OP would be interested in your engine. I am not. :)
<<

Deskjetser

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

ma23 wrote:Using MOHV you won't get 100 hp/l nor 30% efficiency and the power is in the low 400s. All the while, DOHC broke 600 hp and achieves all the goals in the first post.
If you're gonna want a 5.3L MOHV N/A engine, you're gonna have to set up the guidelines or start a new thread. As of right now, all I can assume is that your main concern is efficiency.

@ma23

First, Id like to point you to the first post. That is an MOHV engine that has 100hp/l and 30% efficiency.

Also; 'All the while DOHC broke 600hp'... Your engine is borderline unusable, so please don't act like the advice 07CobaltGirl gave you was an insult.

Plus; this was not a challenge thread for you to post your own attempts in the first place. And our main concern is making a usable, efficient and affordable engine; as the title of this thread suggests.

@07CobaltGirl

Ill try whip a few things up, could you let me know what your engine size limitations are though; either by PMing me the cars or the dimensions.

Also any links to source material/information for your vehicles would be great. That way I can make multiple samples for each.
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 pm

ma23 wrote:5325cc N/A V8
32.70% economy.
Less mats cost, more man hours. (all quality sliders set to 0)
113 hp/L

Reliability is 1/3 of the others though.

Deskjetser wrote:@07CobaltGirl

Ill try whip a few things up, could you let me know what your engine size limitations are though; either by PMing me the cars or the dimensions.

Also any links to source material/information for your vehicles would be great. That way I can make multiple samples for each.

Say, are you looking for material on SME's ZX53GT?
viewtopic.php?p=62993#p62993
/end plug
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 am

LOL utopian! Thanks! I will send you the car(s) when I get some time either tomorrow or over the weekend.
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:34 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:I'd probably be interested in your engines, except for the turbochargers (and it being an I4). An N/A V8/V6/I6 in a similar condition (but 2.0-6.0L) would be great (or even 85-90hp/liter). I just don't consider forced induction part of a "well rounded" engine, as they introduce so much unreliability. I see this one is 72 reliability, which is great, but it is also a tiny motor (by American standards). I use significantly larger engines than this for my company. I also use F/R configurations for drivetrain. This engine would not work in one of my cars, as I don't make hot-hatches, economy boxes, or family cars. When we get V6s, I will probably use a lot of those as base model engines. I don't ever see myself having much use for an I4, and I have a lot of problems with I6s fitting into things, or just being too underpowered (I'm not great at tuning engines).

fancy an inline 6 based on the 250 chevy?
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 am

Manche wrote:
07CobaltGirl wrote:I'd probably be interested in your engines, except for the turbochargers (and it being an I4). An N/A V8/V6/I6 in a similar condition (but 2.0-6.0L) would be great (or even 85-90hp/liter). I just don't consider forced induction part of a "well rounded" engine, as they introduce so much unreliability. I see this one is 72 reliability, which is great, but it is also a tiny motor (by American standards). I use significantly larger engines than this for my company. I also use F/R configurations for drivetrain. This engine would not work in one of my cars, as I don't make hot-hatches, economy boxes, or family cars. When we get V6s, I will probably use a lot of those as base model engines. I don't ever see myself having much use for an I4, and I have a lot of problems with I6s fitting into things, or just being too underpowered (I'm not great at tuning engines).

fancy an inline 6 based on the 250 chevy?

Well, I have one from the late 60's already. But....maybe?
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:04 pm

MIne is a modern interpretation of those with 327 and 515 Hp the latter being boosted to 1 bar or 14.5 psi engines are nearly ideatical except for compression and boosting.
<<

headacheengineering

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Peugeot 206
Lincoln Town Car
Honda Accord V6
Nissan Qashqai
Ford Focus
Mercedes 190D 2.5T

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:53 pm

hmmm what do you guys think of this ?

4.9 V8, SOHC 16V EFI, N/A, capable of much more power, no special parts, VVT+L, SUPER torque curve, almost 28% Fuel economy and NO sliders used not even +1. Cheep!

50A-16F-HE
Screenshot (40).png
Screenshot (40).png (985.76 KiB) Viewed 6107 times
DEM Motor Company Ltd.

Chief Engineer & Owner.

The Company That Makes Sense!TM.
<<

Nova

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 69 Ford

Post Sat May 02, 2015 3:21 pm

I made this engine last night happen to see your post figured id post mine almost dead on the same mine has a bit higher reliability lower material cost lower emissions but you have more hp. :P
<<

AznGame

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: ?

Post Tue May 05, 2015 7:53 am

Flat Useable Torque across the entire rev range 2000 - 7000 rpm.
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Fri May 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Nova wrote:I made this engine last night happen to see your post figured id post mine almost dead on the same mine has a bit higher reliability lower material cost lower emissions but you have more hp. :P

But your production units are ridiculously high, as are your maintenance costs. You've been playing fast and loose with the quality sliders. Also you use 95 AKI, which is 98 RON, super unleaded. Expensive stuff once Tycoon mode comes around, and hard to find. The main GOOD things about your engine are its reliability and its low cooling requirements. But the former is due to your ridiculously low rev limiter.

Consider, by comparison, another application that will fit many cars that your turbo 4 will fit. It is a compact naturally-aspirated 2.9L V8. Not quite as reliable, but more than twice the power, while taking a third of the production units to build, and still lower material costs. Its decent efficiency percentage combined with higher power means that it can give a heavier car good fuel economy numbers.

ad8-h.jpg
ad8-h.jpg (279.11 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

Now let's take a "bargain" 4-cylinder. Not a huge displacement, sexy, high-powered affair. But relatively efficient and stupidly quick to build, while still maintaining good enough reliability to be considered "mainstream", and reasonably low maintenance costs. Something that wouldn't be out of place in a subcompact or possibly even city car. May not get as high efficiency as a small turbo motor, but won't cost an arm and a leg initially, nor in service costs.

CE4-E.jpg
CE4-E.jpg (279.15 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

One final player: this for mid- sized sedans and possibly a small-to-mid SUV or sports coupe. Relatively inexpensive to build and not super time consuming, but good reliability and power curve, low cooling requirements, and good efficiency. Plus, service costs under $1500/yr on a modern straight-6.

ln6-b-e.jpg
ln6-b-e.jpg (273.16 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

Also important to note: Every single one of these runs on regular unleaded, without fail. I can get more power and efficiency easily by switching grades of fuel, but I made a point to learn how to make engines that would run on the garbage that we Americans run through our cars on a daily basis. Also not a single one runs Direct Injection. This keeps production units, material cost, and service cost down. The last of those three is huge on DI... sometimes it can be a 50% increase. Just things to keep in mind for when Tycoon mode comes out and the buyer becomes discriminant about cost of ownership.
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 pm

VicVictory wrote:Now let's take a "bargain" 4-cylinder. Not a huge displacement, sexy, high-powered affair. But relatively efficient and stupidly quick to build, while still maintaining good enough reliability to be considered "mainstream", and reasonably low maintenance costs. Something that wouldn't be out of place in a subcompact or possibly even city car. May not get as high efficiency as a small turbo motor, but won't cost an arm and a leg initially, nor in service costs.

My take on a similarly priced compact car engine, the S16A1, with vastly improved "smiles per gallon*" quotient combined with a friendlier torque curve. This is at the expense of being slightly less likely to reach 500,000 km. Spiritual successor to the B16A.

s16a1.jpg
s16a1.jpg (303.84 KiB) Viewed 5914 times

Also in turbocharged form as the S16F0 with even more smiles per gallon. An alternate engine option for Type S trims or a base engine for larger vehicles.

s16f0.jpg
s16f0.jpg (316.74 KiB) Viewed 5914 times

*power/efficiency = smiles per gallon
<<

chrisbo28

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 am

Dudes and Dudettes, I have created a Vtech replica with 137 hp @ 10,000 rpm from about 1.2l. Just look @ the attachment. Vtech is know for its variable valve technology. I used forged pistons, alloy heads and alloy block. It is a cheap way to get lots of horses. :D
Attachments
Inline 4 - Vtech.lua
(49.37 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
<<

VicVictory

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: A MURRICAN truck and a turbo grocery getter.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 11:41 am

Chrisbo, most of us are using the Steam version, which requires 2 LUA files for the engine. If you're running the standalone, you're going to have to take screen shots and post them.
Ardent Motors Corporation
Company ID: 1934101
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=40

Suzume Motor Manufacturing Industries
Company ID: 1975102
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog&companyID=60
PreviousNext

Return to Engine Sharing Forum