car price: € 100K to 120K
CTech Industries
Company ID: #20141595
<<

utopian201

Naturally Aspirated

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:04 am

Re: LZ Automotive Engines Line-Up

Your 2L costs more to produce than your 4L v8 but has less power. I can tell you have used quality sliders a lot, they get expensive when they are used extensively.
Aurora Motor Company: Nothing Comes Close | Youtube ads: Aurora Manticore - "Dyno"
Auto magazine plus directories - list your car in the appropriate directory to be considered for a magazine cover/article.
<<

lztd15

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Hyundai Getz ;(

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:43 am

utopian201 wrote:Your 2L costs more to produce than your 4L v8 but has less power. I can tell you have used quality sliders a lot, they get expensive when they are used extensively.

In a effort to create a 2L engine similar to the AMG's used in the new CLA 45, that have 355 HP, I used quality sliders on the TURBO and the price went up. Right now I m working on lowering the cost without losing power.
CTech Industries
<<

Irkie500

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:45 am

Is there a reason why the turbo boost pressure is so low? I bet you could get similar performance from an unboosted engine and it would cost quite a bit less. Seems a bit silly to spend all the extra man hours and money on a turbo setup to only run 1/2 bar or around 7.5psi. Granted your spool times are extremely solid, I just feel like there is way more on the table.

Also shy away from high quality fuels on "eco" engines. I don't want to buy a car for 20-22k(USD) and have to fill up at the pump with premium fuel, that doesn't make sense to me.

You might also save yourself some material costs and weight by using an Air-Air inter cooler on some of the smaller engines. The performance difference will be negligible. I find the Water-Air is really only needed when you start to really up the boost levels say 1.2 Bar and above (20ish psi+).

Keep tinkering friend, I know you can make them better.

On a side note the economy figures are outstanding, but the man hours are way to high for high volume engines, and watch your costs as well.

I challenge you to make an engine with 40 or less man hours, costs below $2500 and economy around 35% that still makes good power. Its possible just takes some time. Ill give it a go later when I get home from work.
<<

lztd15

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Hyundai Getz ;(

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Irkie500 wrote:Is there a reason why the turbo boost pressure is so low? I bet you could get similar performance from an unboosted engine and it would cost quite a bit less. Seems a bit silly to spend all the extra man hours and money on a turbo setup to only run 1/2 bar or around 7.5psi. Granted your spool times are extremely solid, I just feel like there is way more on the table.

Also shy away from high quality fuels on "eco" engines. I don't want to buy a car for 20-22k(USD) and have to fill up at the pump with premium fuel, that doesn't make sense to me.

You might also save yourself some material costs and weight by using an Air-Air inter cooler on some of the smaller engines. The performance difference will be negligible. I find the Water-Air is really only needed when you start to really up the boost levels say 1.2 Bar and above (20ish psi+).

Keep tinkering friend, I know you can make them better.

On a side note the economy figures are outstanding, but the man hours are way to high for high volume engines, and watch your costs as well.

I challenge you to make an engine with 40 or less man hours, costs below $2500 and economy around 35% that still makes good power. Its possible just takes some time. Ill give it a go later when I get home from work.

-I use turbos because if u use it in the right way it will increase your engine's efficiency.
-I use de 95 octane fuel because in my country when u go to a gas station u can find 95 octane, 98 and Diesel, so 95 is pretty normal in Portugal.
-The difference in costs between an Air-Air inter and a Water-Air inter is not that great but in the other hand the difference in fuel octane is considerable.
-To the challenge , I already made some changes to the engines line-up and I was able to lower the costs of all engines.

My cheap engine(almost 40 production, if i change the pistons from low friction to cast I get 36% of efficiency and 38 production cost):

My engines:
the big 5liters V8 is in development
CTech Industries
<<

np1993

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: used to own an 1986 Camaro

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:05 am

that 1.6l is extremely efficient, wowzers!

CEO of Prato Motor Car Company - Company ID: 1946393
Supreme Overseer of Comrade Motors - Company ID: 1939003

http://www.automationhub.net/company-ca ... mpanyID=35

Return to Engine Sharing Forum