FAQ  •  Login

Charma Automobiles Engine Build Challenge!

<<

supraman

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1990 eagle talon tsi fwd

1994 toyota supra na-t

1983 mustang gt turbo

1995 f150

2001 ford focus

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 am

Re: Charma Automobiles Engine Build Challenge!

First off I would like to thank all of the competitors who took part in my challenge! It was awesome seeing all your amazing engines and just how close the competition really was. I had planned on grading all the engines but sadly I wont be able to do that as I have been called back out to work So I dont have a lot of time before I have to leave the house and would still kinda like like to try out the open beta before I lose all my platforms.

I will say that I am not kidding when the top 3 engines were extremely close to each other, they all made good power, and followed the guideline very well. So without making you guys wait any longer here is the MK6 Charma Hydra Featuring a Smolensk Tuning Engine!

Congratulations Jakgoe for winning The challenge, and thanks to all who participated! Continue making awesome engines guys and Im sure there will be many more challenges for this same year but different requirements. Hope too see you all on my next Challenge but this time the challenge will only run on a set of days off so I can actually focus on the challenge and not work :)

I will now be updating my car building Thread so have fun building guys :)
Cheif Designer, and CEO of Charma Automobiles.

Company ID: 2014463
<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: none.... sadly

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 am

are you going to comment about the engines you recieved?

I want to know how much of a doorstop my engine is :P
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:39 am

Thank you for selecting my engine! As Manche said, it would be nice if you posted a few comments on each engine.
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

supraman

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

1994 toyota supra na-t

1983 mustang gt turbo

1995 f150

2001 ford focus

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 pm

ok so you guys had asked for stats on each engine well here is how it got broke down

Jakgoe- Your engine was actually Statistically better in every aspect except for MTBF then all the other engines This is why your engine was chosen. This is not saying you had the most HP or TRQ , its saying that it has the best average per litre this makes for a very wide range of usable power and the fact you used a naturally aspirated engine did help keep it this way as there was no aggressive power curve. Congratulations again for winning the challenge!

Manche- Your engine actually did very well in the challenge, it sported the second most powerful engine in the competition and even had more MTBF then Jakgoe's. However it lacked in responsiveness, smoothness and economy. Until Jakgoe had entered his revised engine you had the upper hand in this challenge and placed a close second, good job!

OppositeLock- I was very impressed with the economy you were getting with your turboed powerplant and it had actually got the second best economy rating out of all the engines submitted. It did fall behind almost everywhere else though.I feel this engine could have benefited from a bit more response and power but this also would have come with trade offs like less economy.

Nialloftara- I reall did enjoy the concept of a 7.2L inline six! as soon as I seen the name I wanted to dig into it and see what she could do! Your engine was actually the most powerful engine I had got and the most economical but most of all blew everyone away with its insane 472 FT-LBS of torque!, so congrats on all the mini wins! this engine was a serious competitor taking the last podium place in third. sadly it scored low on smoothness and responsiveness and had these two issues been addressed I dont see how it wouldnt have won.

There were a few engines that had been sent to me via PM and I did include these in the challenge but I cleaned out my inbox and now cannot remember who alls engines they were. To these competitors if you would like me to explain why you didnt make podium please feel free to let me know which was yoursas I have not deleted them but am updating now so if it gets lost in the new beta update I am sorry.

so between these engines the official standings were,

in first place Jakgoe
in second place Manche
in third place Nialloftara
in fourth place OppositeLock

Good Job guys!

<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 pm

That was unexpected.... to pull end up in that level.. guess that tuning "weird" engines and forcing myself not to go tthe easy way is getting fruitful

I'd like to see more challenges involving engines that are not the obvious answer....
<<

gt1cooper

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1969 Mustang GT
2014 Ram 1500 Hemi
2009 Infiniti M35s
2014 VW CC
2013 BMW 640i

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:42 am

Maybe I should start getting back into these now that people are using tests which can swing to more than one type. Could be fun.
<<

supraman

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

1994 toyota supra na-t

1983 mustang gt turbo

1995 f150

2001 ford focus

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm just glad you had fun with it guys :) I enjoyed this challenge as well. It allowed me to learn alot with the displacement vs boosted engines. It seems that turbo cars tend to have a higher economy level ( makes sense as that's what they were designed for ) while NA have alot more responsiveness. I would like to see what a well designed turbo could do one with little to no lag that comes alive very early yet still has lots to give. I know my 16G on my talon does exactly that, so it'd be nice to see if its possible in game.

<<

Manche

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:03 pm

supraman wrote:I'm just glad you had fun with it guys :) I enjoyed this challenge as well. It allowed me to learn alot with the displacement vs boosted engines. It seems that turbo cars tend to have a higher economy level ( makes sense as that's what they were designed for ) while NA have alot more responsiveness. I would like to see what a well designed turbo could do one with little to no lag that comes alive very early yet still has lots to give. I know my 16G on my talon does exactly that, so it'd be nice to see if its possible in game.

I think the neext type of challenge should be an "engine make over"... like turning a mundane no fuss lump into something fit for a sportscar
<<

oppositelock

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:43 pm

supraman wrote:I'm just glad you had fun with it guys :) I enjoyed this challenge as well. It allowed me to learn alot with the displacement vs boosted engines. It seems that turbo cars tend to have a higher economy level ( makes sense as that's what they were designed for ) while NA have alot more responsiveness. I would like to see what a well designed turbo could do one with little to no lag that comes alive very early yet still has lots to give. I know my 16G on my talon does exactly that, so it'd be nice to see if its possible in game.

I think you'll find the relatively small turbo on my entry is about as well optimized as you can make in the game. Getting it to make full boost at 2000 rpm without suffocating the engine at 7000 rpm took a good amount of trial and error. It seems that, all else being equal, you're never really going to get nat asp throttle response in a turbo engine.
<<

supraman

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

1994 toyota supra na-t

1983 mustang gt turbo

1995 f150

2001 ford focus

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Lol funny you should say that Manche, I was already working on a car and engine that I thought would be fun to see what you guys could do with to make a " limited edition " or something to that effect. Will release it within a few days time :)

Previous

Return to Engine Sharing Forum