FAQ  •  Login

Touring Car engine needed!

<<

RoninGT21

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None anymore =(

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:40 am

Re: Touring Car engine needed!

Don't worry, as long as the competition is open, you can send in revisions.
Also, I would like to thank you all for sending me your submissions.I haven't had time to check them all, but I'll get around to it today.
<<

oldgreg

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2003 WRX Wagon

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:20 am

strop wrote:The penny just dropped for me :o

Suddenly all your talk about tameness penalty makes sense. It turns out that my best touge-conquering turbo engines had tameness penalties in the realm of 4% (something I completely ignored during the Haruna battles)... whereas an engine even twice as powerful, but also twice as responsive, made the car insanely hard to drive with tameness penalties of up to 70%!!!

I suspect however that this stat is more relevant for windier tracks, and the correlation is not necessarily direct as there are many other factors in play, but I'm getting a much better idea of how it is relevant.

If you look at the .lua file for Haruna, you'll notice that the "sportiness" values are often quite high, implying crappy pavement and not particularly good traction. High road "sportiness" penalizes untame cars, so it makes perfect sense that your tamest engines were the fastest down the mountain. Now, if you were to edit the track and set the "sportiness" of every section of the track to 0 I think you'd find that tameness no longer made any difference to laptimes. But you're also right that it is more relevant for twisty tracks, or at least for twisty tracks with non-zero "sportiness". A 3 mile long straight with sportiness=5 road surface probably won't have too much effect on an untame car once you're doing 100+, but through turns and especially when accelerating out of a tight turn onto a straight an untame engine will definitely cost time.

But anyway, Dragawn and Strop, thanks for talking about this. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is going to come very much in handy when I post my second test track. *hint*hint* :twisted:
<<

Rossriders

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Nothing yet, hopefully something reliable, and decent in the future.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:23 pm

I decided to give this a go.

Partially due to some comments suggested in my own engine thread, partially due to me having been trying to work within constraints and compromises in any event, decided to put together this OHV motor.

I put a self imposed man hour limit of 100, and tried to more see how far I can go with the actual MTBF along with a somewhat reasonable fuel economy. This came an obvious cost of engine responsiveness. I could go further with economy and engine response, but a kick in the shins has been keeping limits on cooling.

Then again you learn something new every day and you try to figure out things regardless. I'm sticking with an OHV setup for the time being because I'd have to sit down some more hours to figure out an OHC setup (be it Direct acting, single or dual) properly in regards to working with a turbo AND managing heat.

If heat wasn't a problem, I could easily put a reasonable 300bhp motor to these specs otherwise with less than 100 man hours...not that I'm bragging or anything.

If this was N/A, I could actually put together a motor for the power, although honestly I don't know if I could meet the temperature requirements. I'd try now but my computer is crap and I might try later.

That said, here's my first proposal, but not my 'final' one.
touringcar proposal.png
touringcar proposal.png (973.83 KiB) Viewed 5663 times

The first is again, an attempt at not just making the power, but also torque. However I've been trying to properly set up the turbo so it can spin to full speed earlier in the rev range.

But again, a constant problem has been the heat. If that was not an issue, I could put better optimization with fuel economy, power and response.

But then again, I'm sure in the eyes of others...there's a billion things I could have done better. We'll see.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

I think it's a fine engine! Here is mine. I absolutely don't expect to win anything with this, but it's somewhat efficient, decent enough torque curve, and middle-of-the-road responsiveness. I certainly thing it could hold it's own! :)

I'm a little unsure how to submit. Is it just this photo, a PM, submit engine file?
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks for confirming all that oldgreg. I guess the question is now what kind of roads to expect in a touring car championship...
<<

Dragawn

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A high tech sportscar consisting entirely of air!

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 pm

@oldgreg I made the sportiness value like that partially due to the "fear factor" aswell. It's a steep downhill with no run-off sections if you screw up, only some barriers, overshooting a corner can mean a car wreck and possibly death.

As for touring...I'd say near perfect roads, but tame/sporty ratio seems to always have some effect.
<<

RoninGT21

Naturally Aspirated

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:24 am

strop wrote:Thanks for confirming all that oldgreg. I guess the question is now what kind of roads to expect in a touring car championship...

Well, that will be all up to moders, as in one of the latest developer videos I found out that racetracks will need to be redone.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Pushrod power MK2! now lighter, more powerful, and slightly more tame. It's hand assembled by a skilled team of 25 engineers at a rate of one every working week.
Attachments
Pushrod power2.jpg
Pushrod power2.jpg (406.3 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Wow! I can't believe I felt guilty for having 141 man hours! hahahaha
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Wait until you see what I did... Would be pretty easy to scale it back I guess but since the brief said do whatever... Guess the engine does need to be slightly easier to produce I guess!
<<

TheTom

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Vw Golf 3 TDI

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Here's my entry! It's very light weight, pretty economical, has low man hours and good reliability and responsiveness. I didn't go hard on the quality sliders as you can tell from the man hours. Obviously i could have gotten more out of it, but i wanted to keep the man hours low so that you can make multiple units of this engine in the same time that you make one unit of another engine :)

<<

Rossriders

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Nothing yet, hopefully something reliable, and decent in the future.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:27 am

I've got one more proposal for a touring car engine, and...I wish I had more to say but I can't.

Apart from how I could make a simpler motor but it would not be as economical.

proposal2.png
proposal2.png (963.19 KiB) Viewed 5573 times

Hope it's decent.
<<

salen00b

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A not-working-since-1999 Toyota Celica '86.. Still a great car.

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:50 am

My triple entry

I felt the need to make them different so I made one with OHC, an SOHC and I also tried my luck at an OHV.
They take quite a long time to build especially the OHV, but they should perform adequately.
The OHV is slightly underpowered compared to the other ones, but is way lighter.

Here goes my trio.

Not much else to say about them...
Name of Car Company: Lizzott Cars
Company website: LizzottCars
Established: 1921 (company beginning), 1947 (actually producing cars)
Company ID:1921001

My first company. (Gave up with it) LKcars

Car company directory to register your car company!
<<

RoninGT21

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 am

ATTENTION!!!! THE COMPETITION CLOSES TODAY!
No entries will be accepted after 00:00 GMT. If you have any revisions send them my way.
Once again, thank you, everyone for sending your engines. I will post full results of the competition.
<<

Ryan

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: R56 Cooper S

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:19 am

Here's my entry. I attempted to give it as wide a power band as possible, and even when going up to 8300RPM, the engine is hardly stressed. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Engine Sharing Forum