FAQ  •  Login

2.7 and 2.9 OHV 4 cylinder (Chrysler Aus skunkworks)

<<

VGJONO

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi Galant

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:41 am

2.7 and 2.9 OHV 4 cylinder (Chrysler Aus skunkworks)

Hey guys new to all this, but thats not why i am posting this, ive been messing around and making some mitsubishi based engines (4G32, 4G54, 4G63) and ive been having a blast, but then i remembered and old skunk works engine that was made by a few blokes in the Chrysler Australia R & D. Basically they took a 215cui 6 cylinder, lopped 2 cylinders off and made it run, then after an engine failure they bored it out and put pistons out of a 245cui engine in it. sadly the idea was scrapped and no more than that one engine remains. now here is were i got to thinking, it would be cool to have a play around with this idea :twisted:

History

Lets get to playing around
Sadly i cant exactly copy the engine as the original was not a crossflow designed head, so the power output of this will be slightly higher than that of the original

Standard 2.7L
Bore 95.5mm x Stroke 93.5
Compression ratio 8.0:1

Worked 2.7
Bore 95.5mm x Stroke 93.5
Compression ratio 10.6:1

Now this skunk works engine used the same bore size as the mid sized chrysler hemi 6 engine, so i thought it would have been a common thing to bore the engine out and upgrade to the larger pistons of the 265cui Hemi 6 engine

Worked 2.9
Bore 99.3mm x Stroke 93.5
Compression ratio 10.6:1

Let me know what you think of these, im no pro tuner, just a kid who plays with engines in his back yard, if you see any way to improve upon these, feel free to tell me how

Cheers
VGJONO :mrgreen:
1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi Galant worked 4G32 1.6L
<<

Juno8

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Location: somewhere on the Australian Outback roads in my 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

Cars: The Mad Max 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

In Reality...Passed my driving test 13th July 2015

Driving: 2011 Volvo V60 D5

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 am

Re: 2.7 and 2.9 OHV 4 cylinder (Chrysler Aus skunkworks)

not a bad engine looks good and it does the job :)
Slogan:
Weiand: Coming to a rear bumper near you!
Its my company car of my dreams :)

Car Company: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Cars
<<

VGJONO

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks mate, it was something i remembered when i first started messing around with automation, figured it would be fun to try and re-create the engine, although it isnt exact as i cant seem to get 9.5:1 compression without bad engine knock and a massive loss of power, i know with better bottom end parts i can but im trying to keep it correct so i figured i would make the standard one with the cast bottom end just like they would have in the 70's
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:24 pm

VGJONO wrote:Thanks mate, it was something i remembered when i first started messing around with automation, figured it would be fun to try and re-create the engine, although it isnt exact as i cant seem to get 9.5:1 compression without bad engine knock and a massive loss of power, i know with better bottom end parts i can but im trying to keep it correct so i figured i would make the standard one with the cast bottom end just like they would have in the 70's

A better bottom end will only break more slowly due to knock, it won't stop it knocking. Try running a bit less ignition timing and richer fuel mixture :)
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

VGJONO

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Cheers for the tip mate, internals and tuning are new to me. after a bit of tweaking the standard motor is now more period correct, a little bit less power but then again anything over 80kw out of a 4cyl factory motor is good for the mid to late 70's

Return to Engine Sharing Forum