FAQ  •  Login

In soviet russia...

<<

quantexrox

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Toyota T100

Post Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 pm

In soviet russia...

I've had a sort of obsession with old soviet cars and trucks. They are very intriguing to me, seeing how the other half lived. I went ahead and tried replicating some of the more popular engines that were installed in the more well recognized soviet vehicles (mostly trucks). Much of my data has been found at the website:

sovavto.net

which seems to be down right now. I also used a healthy dose of google search, as there are many errors on that website.

Some of these you may notice create very little power output for their size. This is because of a few factors. Very little competition did not exactly give companies incentive to innovate, and research and development suffered. Another large contributor was the very low octane gas that many of the Soviet vehicles were designed to run on. In the US, our gas is rated by AKI (anti-knock index) which is (RON+MON)/2. In much of Europe, the gas octane rating is only rated by RON (research octane number), which is why Europe appears to have higher octane gas, though the gas available in the US and Europe are actually about the same RON number.

In soviet countries, the gas was rated in MON (motor octane number), and was rated at 76 octane. In AKI terms this means about 78 octane, and in RON terms about 80 octane. This hampered the limit of compression ratios and ignition advance which severely reduced power and fuel economy. Soviet countries did have 92 octane RON rated gasoline (88.5 AKI), but it was not as common and was mostly for higher ranking party official's cars, late model (mid 80's) consumer cars, and foreign cars.

To make these engines, I had to do a lot of fiddling with a lot of settings like year and quality. I tried to stay close to their introduction years, but some I had to make later in production as some numbers were just not possible in the game. I also had to intentionally run some engines poorly to meet their original specifications. I selected the 76 octane AKI (80 octane RON) fuel in game, but when I could not closely replicate the engine on 76 octane, I selected regular grade 86.4 AKI and let myself go up to 78 octane.

ZiS-53Rev0.lua
(34.43 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

This is the engine that was found in the GAZ-53B and GAZ-66. It was also used in a few different applications, but was a 4.3L pushrod V8 using a bore/stroke of 92mm/80mm with all aluminum construction. A two barrel carburetor was used. It produced 115HP and 166 lb-ft of torque.

GAZ-51Rev0.lua
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

This was the engine used in the GAZ-51 truck, which is the precursor to the GAZ-53. This same engine was also used in the GAZ-53A. It is a 3.5L pushrod I6 with a bore/stroke of 82mm/110mm with all cast iron construction. A two barrel carburetor was used. It produced 70HP and 125 lb-ft of torque.

UMZ-451MRev0.lua
(31.56 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

This may be a more well known engine. This is the engine from the original UAZ-469. This one was very difficult to replicate and was the only engine I had to move up to 78 octane to replicate due to the amount of torque produced versus the amount of HP produced. It is a 2.4L (or 2.5, about in the middle,) pushrod I4 with a bore/stroke of 92mm/92mm with all cast iron construction. A two barrel carburetor was used. It produced 75HP and 123 lb-ft of torque.

I have more, will attach them in a reply.
Last edited by quantexrox on Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

quantexrox

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: In soviet russia...

ZiL-130Rev0.lua
(32.12 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

This truck may also be more well known. It is the engine from the ZiL-130. It is a 6.0L pushrod V8 using a bore/stroke of 100mm/95mm with all cast iron construction. A 4 barrel carburetor was used. It produced 150HP and 225 lb-ft of torque. (I for the life of me couldn't get it to produce a measly 225 lb-ft of torque without completely unreasonable AFR's and without knocking.)

ZiS-150Rev0.lua
(31.67 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

The ZiS-150 was a very popular older truck. Close to 3/4 of a million of them were produced. It is a 5.6L pushrod I6 using a bore/stroke of 101.6mm/114.3mm with all cast iron construction. A 2 barrel carburetor was used. It produced 90HP and 200 lb-ft of torque.

VAZ-21083Rev0.lua
(38.28 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

This final engine is the largest engine option offered in the VAZ-21083, known in the western world as the Lada Samara. It is a 1.5L SOHC I4 using a bore/stroke of 82mm/71mm with all cast iron construction. A 2 barrel carburetor was used. It produced 71HP and 82 lb-ft of torque. This engine ran on 92 octane RON gas.
<<

quantexrox

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: In soviet russia...

It is also interesting to note how many of the indigenous designed Soviet cars and trucks were unlike anything that was being produced in Europe at the time. They took a lot of styling ques from US manufacturers. Engine and drivetrain designs were also closely related to the engine designs of American cars and trucks.

Some people believe this may be why they had such a hard time getting more power out of the engines than they did. They copied the philosophies of American engine designs like short intake runners, short stroke engines, wedge shaped combustion chambers, etc... These made great power with higher octane gasoline, but not with low octane gasoline. They should have made changes such as higher swirl heads, heart-shaped tumble combustion chambers, or hotter/more spark plugs that would allow more power to be extracted from lower octane gas.

Return to Engine Sharing Forum