Moderator: zeussy

<<

svvander

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Peugeot 107, Renault Trafic

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:40 am

Re: Car Designer Demo

Maybe you can make a link to this site, where you can post a "photo" of youre designed car. People then can rate it. (Like Playstation does).

Or even better: why not let the people on this site, decide if the car that you are making is going to be top-seller or not? You can make both (the game and this site) make interactif. (Do you understand what I mean?)
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:36 am

svvander wrote:Maybe you can make a link to this site, where you can post a "photo" of youre designed car. People then can rate it. (Like Playstation does).

Or even better: why not let the people on this site, decide if the car that you are making is going to be top-seller or not? You can make both (the game and this site) make interactif. (Do you understand what I mean?)

You most certinally will be able to upload cars to the website for others to view and rate, but that doesnt solve the problem of when you build a car and try and sell it, if the buyers think it looks good or not.
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Stew2000

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Daihatsu Charade 1.3 (1997)

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Daffyflyer wrote:
svvander wrote:... but that doesnt solve the problem of when you build a car and try and sell it, if the buyers think it looks good or not.

Pontiac Aztek comes to mind. :lol:
<<

machalel

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '01 Subaru Liberty B4

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Killrob wrote:
Daffyflyer wrote:Zeussy has some crazy ideas about writing something to judge if a car looks good or not, based on the era etc.

Hrrmm... at first I thought: "Ohh cool, this would be a really neat feature!", but I gave it some time to sink in: this could yield bad game design if implemented too simplistic. Why?

... (snip) ...

So what does that mean? I'd say it means: in principle this is a good idea, but in practice it might be a bad one if implemented too simplistic. If you tie varying preferences to each individual buyer group, this becomes super-complex and time consuming to program, but also a non-issue and a good feature! Just wanted to say that you might be moving out onto thin game-design ice here. :)

Cheers!
/Robert

I can think of two ways of possibly handling it:

1) Historical Mode - Where the 'best' design follows the trends that have existed in the real world (eg shoebox for the 80's), but with a little bit of 'random' inserted

2) Random Mode - Where the 'best' design is handled in a semi-random manner per decade or so (eg maybe people in the 60's now love super square hatch-backs)

Obviously you still have the same issues with having an 'optimal' design, but if you make it expensive to keep pumping out new designs, then you semi-solve the issue (just since the benefit of fine-tuning your design endlessly won't justify the cost). If you insert a small amount of randomness in the optimal design per 'new game', then that would help each person's game be unique, even if they were playing in 'historical mode'.

On a related topic, will the game have some sort of mechanism where you can find out the current popular trends? Both in mechanical and body styles? I think it would be awesome if there was the possibility of designing and building a concept car to get the public's reaction, although I'm not sure how that would fit in with the game as it stands.
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Skoda Felicia Combi 1.3 MPi LXi

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:42 pm

I'd also add the 3rd mode - Design Rating Off mode, where the players could design car uglier than Pontiac Aztec and this car would still sell well.
<<

machalel

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '01 Subaru Liberty B4

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:39 am

yeah, maybe a sandbox type mode, where things such as design ratings etc don't make an impact?
<<

Indigo

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: 2001 Toyota Camry

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Looks good. Out of curiosity, could we look at the preliminary design of the mechanic you're using to add the lights in? I can hear clicking when the cursor dances off the screen and the light mechanism would potentially be very handy or very annoying when I actually have the game.
<<

zeussy

Developer - Lead Programmer
Developer - Lead Programmer

Cars: A crashed 1992 Suzuki Cappuccino

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Basically the UI is/was at the very first pass. It is still pretty ugly.

I am simply clicking on a thumbnail picture of a headlight that I want. I was then clicking on the car to place the headlight where I want it. If I then click somewhere else on the car it will also stamp another headlight into the car.

To remove a headlight, you click and drag it off the car. Currently after a headlight has been placed, you then click on it again to get the rotate and size gizmo to appear. (That will change to make the gizmo always appear when that headlight is placed).

Right click controls the camera rotation, left click deals with all placement of car fixtures.

It is all pretty easy to use.
Lead Progammer (The Guy that makes stuff happen!)

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/AutomationGame

Come chat to us at http://automationgame.com/irc
<<

Indigo

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: 2001 Toyota Camry

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am

zeussy wrote:Basically the UI is/was at the very first pass. It is still pretty ugly.

I am simply clicking on a thumbnail picture of a headlight that I want. I was then clicking on the car to place the headlight where I want it. If I then click somewhere else on the car it will also stamp another headlight into the car.

To remove a headlight, you click and drag it off the car. Currently after a headlight has been placed, you then click on it again to get the rotate and size gizmo to appear. (That will change to make the gizmo always appear when that headlight is placed).

Right click controls the camera rotation, left click deals with all placement of car fixtures.

It is all pretty easy to use.

Sounds good. That is pretty much what I had hoped to hear :D
<<

isocuda

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1996 BMW 328is
1985 Suzuki Madura 1200

Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:01 pm

awesome!
Previous