FAQ  •  Login

Turbo Release Candidate Testing

Moderator: zeussy

<<

Killrob

Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert
Developer - Lead Beta Tester/Producer/German Efficiency Expert

Cars: I owned a Twingo... totally bad-ass!

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 am

Turbo Release Candidate Testing

Update: Application Phase Over

Thank you very much for all your applications! I've sent a PM to everyone who is in the closer selection :)
Looking forward to working with you! The testing will probably start on Thursday.

Turbo Release-Candidate Testers Needed

We are on the final stretch to completing our work on the Engine Designer and the last new features, Forced Induction & Advanced Test Mode,
before moving on to the Car Designer.

For this final testing stage we will need some new blood in our testing team because we by now probably are too blind to see all flaws. So this is a
call for new beta tester candidates, but if you think we run the normal FAAAN (Fool-Around-And-Accomplish-Nothing) beta like most developers,
you are mistaken.

Release candidate testing will be done from the 28th of February till the 6th of March, and we expect anyone who joins to put in around 3h of
testing work during this time. This amounts to reaching 12 points in the testing system we are using, which is briefly described below. If you've
done well and would like to continue being on the testing team to be among the first to get your hands on a horribly broken and buggy version of
the Car Designer, you may choose to stay in for the upcoming subprojects!

The Testing System

We are working in a new system nicknamed POMMS (Project-Oriented Modular Motivational System) in which you are given "points" that add to your
"power level" for all the work you do for the team. Tested a scenario? Gives a point. Reported a bug? Gives a point. Completed a quest on the quest
board? Could give many points! While you are required to achieve a certain number of points to stay in the testing team, those that exceed
expectations will be rewarded accordingly (will get their place in the game credits and receive a special forum status).

During normal subprojects (i.e. not during RC testing), you are required to do (on average) about 1h of testing per week (4 points per week) during
at least a 8-16 week long period (one subproject). If your power level was one of the best among the testers during that round, your score is reset
and your name will make it into the game credits. Score carries over between subprojects if not reset, so someone who does solid work reaching
minimum score over several subprojects WILL make it into the reward ranks eventually. If you choose to join the testing team after this RC testing,
you will have all your points carried over to the next subproject.

So Here is the Deal

Requirements:
  • You have preordered Automation.
  • You are willing to follow the rather strict testing rule set and work on bug hunting and scenario balancing.
  • You are willing to document your findings in a detailed fashion in the tools provided (Pivotal Tracker & Online Balancing Spreadsheets).
  • You know that "testing" does not mean "just playing around" and is not fun all the time.
  • You can and would spend ~3 or more hours on testing during the RC testing week.

Application:
  • Write one post in this thread why you are interested in taking part in this.
  • If we deem your application both reasonable and sincere, I'll PM you 2 short questions you'll need to answer.
  • If your answers are satisfactory you will be accepted into the RC-testing and are welcome to join the testing team afterwards.

If you like the sound of this, you are most welcome to post down below! Also, be honest. We don't need people that just play around. Your help
would be greatly appreciated, and will make Automation a better product in the end - and the consequences of that should be to everyone's
advantage!

This invitation to join the testing team for RC-testing will remain open until the Monday the 25th of February. Post before then to be considered. :)

Cheers!
/Killrob
<<

Coolghost

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: VW Polo 86c2f 1.4D -93
Lincoln Continental III -68
MB 450SE 4.5 V8 -77
Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3T -01
Volvo 960E -91

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 am

Re: Turbo Release Candidate Testing

I want to attend the testing because of the following reasons:
This game piques both my gaming interest and my mechanical interests
I can see in this game a great potential to deliver something the bigger game industries have failed in.
I admire the amount of work and the quality the team has put down into taking this project forward and the amount of knowledgeable persons they have managed to gather onto the forums along the years.

I would be honored to test the patch and contribute as much as I can, as everyone knows contributing results in a faster release and a higher quality of the end product, also Testing frees the Devs from alot of bug searching and other stability issue hunting.

Sincerely - Coolghost
<<

madbob

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: fiat 126 , 3.0 v6 mx5 , 1.7 puma

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 am

I recently pre-ordered my self the NA edition, I'll get the turbo one if needs be.
Id be extremely interested in doing this to help out. From what i have seen of the game and the development ( both the way it has been developed he speed and the feedback , community co-operation etc) I'm very impressed and pleased that a game such as this is being made by a small dedicated team rather than a big corporation who work to dead lines rather than for the satisfaction of getting it right, no matter how often things need "tweeking" Having built a few engines, worked on many cars ( part time mechanic full time stores man at a motor factors) Id like to think iv at least a rudimentary understanding of how things should work, and id hope this would steer me in the right direction for pointing out perhaps some glitches which may not be apparent to some one less technical minded. Im also more than willing to put the time in ( 3 hours a week....i can double that easily i think) and im more than cape-able of filling in report forms etc.
If i can help , where ever, for every ones benefit , I'd be very pleased to be taken under consideration.
<<

milamber20032

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Mercedes c-class AMG

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:29 am

Hi all,

Well what a fantastic opportunity!
I have been a fan of cars for a very long time and like you guys/girls I have played with engines (sometimes keeping them in 1 piece) and done some motor racing myself :D
I have had a go at quite a lot of car games but when I discovered Automation it really was a breath of fresh air and I have followed with great interest the progress of the game.
I have pr-ordered the game and would love to help with the testing.
Either way I look forward to seeing all the hard work you guys have put in pay off.
<<

Illunex

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: None, yet.

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 am

When I heard you mention that you were looking for a few testers in the 2 Megawatt Insanity video, I got a big smile on my face. I've been a tester for a few indie game developers before, as well as closed beta for some MMO's and such, so I am definitely used to buggy stuff; and obviously able to report them. I'm not the kind of person who will report EVERY SINGLE BUG, or tell you exactly how many characters you need to remove from one line of code to fix it, because I'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to game development. But I do report as many bugs as I can find with as much detail as possible.

On the subject of mechanical knowledge, I'm no mechanic, that's for sure. That said, I still know quite a lot more about the mechanics of a car than the average person may know. I don't have the kind of knowledge that could get me into an automotive career or anything, but I know all the basics; I know when something is wrong with any given part of a car (obviously Engines in this case,) and I usually know how to fix it.

This game is shaping up to be possibly one of my favorite games, and it's still just an incomplete engine designer. I have a lot of fun messing around with it, and I'd love to help in any way I could to further the game's development. I have a lot of time on my hands, especially now since I finished some things with deadlines, and my only job is to make music on my own time, so I could easily get 3 hours of testing done in a day.

I love seeing the project making progress, and I'd love to help any way I can!
There was a picture here. It left though.
My YouTube channel, where I post the things
<<

ljrce

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 am

Hi
I would like to help test and look forward to give you input and find flaws in the game
I think my engine building in real life and being a mechanic in real life would be some good
very good at mechanical and if i find a bug ill look to see if it has allready been reported and if it has why report it again and leave room for the next thing to be found.

This game is is very addicting i can play for hours at a time .
Keep up the awsome Work on the game.

•You have preordered Automation. Yes i have
•You are willing to follow the rather strict testing rule set and work on bug hunting and scenario balancing. yes can follow rules very good
•You are willing to document your findings in a detailed fashion in the tools provided (Pivotal Tracker & Online Balancing Spreadsheets). Yes i would would give much detail as needed in the tracker and spreedsheets
•You know that "testing" does not mean "just playing around" and is not fun all the time. yes testing does mean no playing around it is to get detail and give detail how to improve the game
•You can and would spend ~3 or more hours on testing during the RC testing week.
can spend much time as needed during the testing week
<<

Masdea

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: none.. yet

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 am

I would like to test Automation for the following reasons:
-I am intrigued by this game and i would love to be a part of its growth.
-I think this game is so unique, and there is nothing out there like it, so i want to see it become the best that it can.
-I've been playing the game very much, and i am experienced with how everything in the game so far works.
-Also, i think that it would just be really really cool to have a minuscule role in the games prosperity.
<<

paullyp707

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2001 Ford Crown Vic P71

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I would love to help work on a project like this, im currently studying automotive tech and planning on getting a degree in engineering. Eventually id like to be an automotive engineer. This is the kind of stuff I love and think about all day.
<<

JaySNL

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: None - CBR 600 F4i

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Write one post in this thread why you are interested in taking part in this.
If we deem your application both reasonable and sincere, I'll PM you 2 short questions you'll need to answer.
If your answers are satisfactory you will be accepted into the RC-testing and are welcome to join the testing team afterwards.

I'd like to join in on the testing team mainly because it'll lessen the load on andrew's back, me nagging him on the TIEWRAP UPDATE! Kidding kidding.

Now for the serious bit; I'd like to participate in the testing-team because i have a keen eye for little mistakes and flaws here and there. I've seen andrew tweak/twork around in the devstream quite some time and seen some little things while he was devstreaming that could be fixed. Secondly is have MASSIVELY AMOUNTS of spare time, for me not having a new job at the time being, which could be well spent on helping out the automation guys; and quite possibly, help me get the needed cable management on the engine (Andrew ;) )!
<<

Nisssan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Hey guys.
I am so excited :D

Anyways I think I would be a great test candidate for several reasons:

I have pre-ordered the turbo edition.
    I love this game so much that I have finished every single scenario. (Not all gold but I will get there)
    I have had some experience with alpha/beta testing (TAFE project where we made games, half from Unity3D and we had to evaluate and test each others games)
    I love the sound of turbo spool <3

I would be more then happy to help you along your journey.
Yours sincerely,
Ryan
<<

noswolf

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: vw passat 3b

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 pm

hey kilrob

i just watch the video
an yes i wuth like to be a tester an i gaming preorder of the turbo version
an play"s couple hours a day
is you need guy i am the guy !

Noswolf
<<

RyanPercival01

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: Renault Clio

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 pm

I would like to join the testing team as I have a huge interest in cars and engines, I am also a studying Advanced Motor technician. I would like to contribute to this game, I have pre-ordered this game and I love a reward system and that will get me motivated.
<<

Initial D

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: A 1996 Honda Accord...

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm

I would love the opportunity to help with testing in any way possible. I've followed this project for many months now and feel that it deserves to be a great success. Also, I am borderline obsessive-compulsive with "tweaky/fiddly" stuff which is hopefully a valuable trait in this situation. :)
Thank you,
Initial D
<<

Cruxx

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1992 Acura Integra LS

1997 Pontiac Bonneville

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 pm

I would like to join the testing team,
I want this game to be as good as it can be. I've always wanted to see something like this made.
I wish for it to be successful and have a bright future, if i can help out by bug hunting i will gladly throw my hat into the ring.

Also if given the opportunity. I would like to prove myself to be a helpful user, and not to waste anyone time by goofing off.

I will also have the available free time to put in the required 3 hours, plus more if the need arises.
<<

Soop

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: VY SS Commodore

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I'll have a go if you'll accept me.
Next

Return to News