<<

sincalp2

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: 2013 Toyota 86 (GT86/FRS)

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:47 am

Nissan DeltaWing

Have you seen this before?

I stumbled across it this morning on the TG site.

http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/niss ... 2012-03-13
<<

carmaker

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:21 am

Re: Nissan DeltaWing

Last edited by carmaker on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

gero45

Cars: Im to young to got a car but i want a Honda Crx

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:31 am

Yea this car will run the 24h of le Mans Im looking forward to see the result
<<

Anthony Stuart

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: 2004 Volvo C70 cabriolet turbo

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 am

it was originally a sort of design concept from IndyCar (as a demonstration of a rules package that would have brought IndyCar partway back to the days where teams and manufacturers could design their own car) but it was rejected because people got hung up on its looks (including me)
The designers didn't want all their work to come to nothing, so they put in an application for garage 56 at Le Mans, which means they would be allowed to compete with few regulations but would not be classified, and thus they will be ineligible for the win.
<<

sincalp2

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: 2013 Toyota 86 (GT86/FRS)

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:58 am

carmaker wrote:this has nothing to do with the car but why do you have a picture of surströmming on your profile????

I think I saw Surströmming on a TV show a year or so ago (it would have been around the same time I joined this forum), and thought that is awesome. A canned food that continues to ferment and smell so bad, but people still want to eat it and buy it! :D I think I also remember the cans can go out of shape if they're left too long! How excellent is that?! :D

Plus the design on the can is so cool too. I actually wanted to have t-shirt made with the logo on it. I like different things and Surströmming is certainly different! (BTW, I don't actually eat fish. I can't eat fish, more to the point :oops: )

This Nissan DeltaWing is also different. I wouldn't say it is the prettiest car in the world, but it does capture some attention with its different design. I think it is good they're willing to try something different!
<<

Marian87

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: A bipedal!

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:30 pm

I guess Batman doesn't need this car anymore.
<<

serothis

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:54 am

I'm really curious how well that design works out. It seems likes it would be more tailored for straight line speed with the front wheels so close together.
<<

Anthony Stuart

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: 2004 Volvo C70 cabriolet turbo

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:36 pm

serothis wrote:I'm really curious how well that design works out. It seems likes it would be more tailored for straight line speed with the front wheels so close together.

That's what I thought at first, but it works on 3 levels:
1:the wheels are a long way out in front and thus have good leverage
2:the weight is mostly in the back, which is something race car builders strive for
3: the braking is mostly done from the rear wheels, drastically improving braking stability
<<

Marian87

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: A bipedal!

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 am

<<

Azurael

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 am

Hmm, you'd probably fall asleep driving an LMP1/2 that slowly round Sebring (I loathe Sebring anyway), so we still know nothing about how well it actually works :P
<<

Orbitstrider

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2015 Subaru WRX

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 am

At first I thought this was one of those salt flat top speed cars but now I see that its an actual track car... I don't really know how I feel about this. Seems too radical. But who knows, Nissan knows what their doing it seems.
<<

Azurael

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:01 am

Orbitstrider wrote:At first I thought this was one of those salt flat top speed cars but now I see that its an actual track car... I don't really know how I feel about this. Seems too radical. But who knows, Nissan knows what their doing it seems.

Bah, it's not Nissan's design. They've just supplied the engine for it to run in the Garage 56 (non ranking) entry at Le Mans since it failed in its bid to become the new indycar reference (which is what it was built for.)
<<

Orbitstrider

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2015 Subaru WRX

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

I now see that after further research. lol It is still quite intriguing.
<<

Qwertypolk

Naturally Aspirated

Cars:  
•1977 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6A

•1995 Nissan 200SX S13

•1997 Peugeot 106 Look2 - Jaques. RIP.

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:23 am

Anthony Stuart wrote:
serothis wrote:I'm really curious how well that design works out. It seems likes it would be more tailored for straight line speed with the front wheels so close together.

That's what I thought at first, but it works on 3 levels:
1:the wheels are a long way out in front and thus have good leverage
2:the weight is mostly in the back, which is something race car builders strive for
3: the braking is mostly done from the rear wheels, drastically improving braking stability

But... Umm.. That's wrong. :|
1:Long wheel base = bad for turning. Think of the MX5. A shorter wheelbase means quicker turn-in as there's less circumference to the turning circle.
2:Not 100% on this myself, but I'm pretty sure that racing cars are built for as close to a 50/50 weight distribution as possible. It aids with grip and handling.
3:Braking done from the rear wheels isn't stable at all. What happens when you pull the handbrake in your car? It slides all over the place! :lol: This isn't a bad thing, but I'd bet most racing drivers with the exception of drifters would disagree with me!
<<

Daffyflyer

Developer - Lead Artist
Developer - Lead Artist

Cars: 1993 Mazda Lantis Type R V6 Racecar, 2006 BMW 530i

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_INdbXMqsw - Chris Harris talks to the lead engineer and drives the delta wing
3d Artist, Game Designer, Marketing Guy

Follow us on
Twitter - http://twitter.com/AutomationGame
ModDB - http://www.moddb.com/games/automation
Facebook - http://goo.gl/omJzt
Chat http://automationgame.com/irc
Next

Return to Interesting Cars You Have Seen