Cars: Trabant 601 Universal -77
Oldsmobile Delta 88 Diesel -79
Chevrolet Caprice Wagon -89
Fiat 126P -92
Volvo P210 -68
Ford Taurus -89

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Nissan DeltaWing

I think it's design rocks, but it wasn't allowed to run in the actual le Mans race, was it? It participated for show and testing if i don't remember totally wrong.
*chugga chugga chugga...VROOOM!*
<<

T16

8-Star Beta Tester
8-Star Beta Tester

Cars: AW11, 405 T16

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 am

No it did run and ended up crashing with a Toyota https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAiZVuC3YI

It didn't fit any normal classes so they entered it in a experimental class.
<<

thales_sr

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: VW Polo

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Qwertypolk wrote:
Anthony Stuart wrote:
serothis wrote:I'm really curious how well that design works out. It seems likes it would be more tailored for straight line speed with the front wheels so close together.

That's what I thought at first, but it works on 3 levels:
1:the wheels are a long way out in front and thus have good leverage
2:the weight is mostly in the back, which is something race car builders strive for
3: the braking is mostly done from the rear wheels, drastically improving braking stability

But... Umm.. That's wrong. :|
1:Long wheel base = bad for turning. Think of the MX5. A shorter wheelbase means quicker turn-in as there's less circumference to the turning circle.
2:Not 100% on this myself, but I'm pretty sure that racing cars are built for as close to a 50/50 weight distribution as possible. It aids with grip and handling.
3:Braking done from the rear wheels isn't stable at all. What happens when you pull the handbrake in your car? It slides all over the place! :lol: This isn't a bad thing, but I'd bet most racing drivers with the exception of drifters would disagree with me!

1: You're right, but this car uses torque vectoring, it means the rear wheels are doing great part of the job of turning the car. Put more torque on the external wheel and the car will turn.
2: Yeah you're right again, but this applies to "normal" cars, where rear wheels push the car, front wheels turn the car. But the DW is not a conventional design, and can't be annalyzed in a so simple manner.
3: Sorry but you're wrong in this one, pal. With most of the weight on the back, the rear wheels will have sufficient grip to do most of the braking, as opposed to normal cars, where the weight is shifted to the front, and the rear wheels get less grip (remember: friction = mu*N).
<<

krussel

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1990 Mk1 MR2 AW11
2008 Mk4 Seat Ibiza FR

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 am

It looks like something you would see attempting a speed record ?
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
<<

Dwarden20

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2004 Jeep TJ (Wrangler) 4.0 I6

1998 Buick Park Avenue 3800 Series II V6

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 am

I think it might actually fly.. :lol:
<<

Juno8

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Location: somewhere on the Australian Outback roads in my 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

Cars: The Mad Max 1973 Ford XB GT Falcon

In Reality...Passed my driving test 13th July 2015

Driving: 2011 Volvo V60 D5

Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:24 am

I have been less than 25 feet from that car at Le Mans 24 hours last year yes I was there and I saw it race...the clever thing about it was the bodywork was designed to be the wing itself
Slogan:
Weiand: Coming to a rear bumper near you!
Its my company car of my dreams :)

Car Company: ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Cars
Previous

Return to Interesting Cars You Have Seen