1985 Citroen 2CV6 Spécial

<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Toyota GT86 Giallo, Citroen 2CV6 Spécial

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 am

Re: 1985 Citroen 2CV6 Spécial

Spent the last couple of days putting together a new carb due to issues with the other one. Kind of went well.

Pros:

- Car now idles at the correct RPM smoothly, no high idle, no hunting and no cutting out at junctions.
- Car runs much more smoothly and quietly for some reason, an unexpected bonus.
- Car is starting better.

Cons:

- Does seem to be slower than the previous carb, despite being "identical."
- The big flatspot/hitting a wall/sputtering when trying to accelerate is still there and as bad as ever.

I'm completely stumped now as to the problem with the flat spot. Ignition components are all new and timing has been set a million times, and it's fine when hot with no knocking. I don't seem to have any air leaks that I can find. Fuel flies out the pump when I crank it over, and it's only a small low pressure pump.

Answers on a postcard, please.
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:30 am

Does the carb have an acc pump? Maybe it is set a little to rich or lean.
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:44 am

RobtheFiend wrote:Does the carb have an acc pump? Maybe it is set a little to rich or lean.

It does, but unfortunately it's not that advanced, it either just works or it doesn't, haha. However, I think you have given me inspiration.

The problem is definitely worsening, the accelerator pump squeezing would explain the initial second of power before it gives in completely. If I keep the power on it keeps moving along on tiny farts, but it's as if there is no fuel. Once warm, no issues. Hmm, coming back to the fuel pump again I guess now. :?
<<

RobtheFiend

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Opel Astra -99 1.6 16

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 am

Buy a lambda probe/gauge, and add to your exhaust. That will show if you are drenching the engine or starving it.
Maybe share the cost with some mates. Or some might know someone with one to lend you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEM-Wideband- ... 5CY3TNMFeg
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:37 am

Alright, it has been a while since last update, and the car is much much improved.

To be polite, ragging it around after putting that new carb on seemed to clear up the cold running problem, and much much smoother. This was further improved by fitting this:

An antique, but works perfectly. Car starts so much better and runs extremely smoothly with this switched on. This also helps me get round the issues with new condensers (they're a bit crap).

Currently having a small issue with charging when lights are on that seems to be caused by poor connections, so I'm cleaning/replacing as required. Also fitted a new steering wheel finally:
IMG_20151220_134806.jpg
IMG_20151220_134806.jpg (725.3 KiB) Viewed 7305 times
<<

willempjuh2000

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Talbot Samba Cabriolet 1.3,
Citroën CX 25 GTi Turbo

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:10 am

That looks very nice! :)
Name of Car Company: Halfix Cars
Owner of Company: willempjuh2000
http://www.automationhub.net/company-catalog/company/34
Established: 1946
Company ID: 1946526
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:36 am

zzj34.jpg
zzj34.jpg (103.75 KiB) Viewed 6995 times

Haven't had an update on this for a while. A bit ago I traded some old shock absorbers for some custom speaker mounts for the roof, but I had no other audio bits and it was always on the "to do" list. Then a couple of months back, a friend gave me a proper 2cv head unit mount he was going to bin, with a very dusty old Philips cassette deck in it that had been in his garage for years he was sure wouldn't work.

He shouldn't have told me it would never work.

(Still a bit dusty but waaay better than it was.)

Don't use cheap paintbrushes! They were already plated, so just wanted to give (mainly the inside) a quick going over to match the car.

Surprisingly they sound pretty great with these FLI speakers in, I wasn't expecting much. The tape deck I gather was actually pretty high spec back in it's day, and you get very little hiss with decent bass. Has a CD changer control I might try and modify for a proper Aux In connection at some point.
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Post Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:26 am

may_greatnews.jpg
may_greatnews.jpg (62.72 KiB) Viewed 6766 times

For the first time since I've had it pretty much, I have a fully working carburettor. As I mentioned in an above post, the current carb had no power high up, it felt as if the second choke was doing nothing to help the car out. All the jets were clear, seals and gaskets good, it made no sense.

I decided to pull apart an identical but knackered old carb and see if I could see anything. At first glance, all was the same. Checked the secondary fuel jet and the old carb had a 90, whereas my current had an 87.5. A slight difference, but 87.5 was standard fitment and it didn't feel like that small a difference. Checked the secondary air corrector jet and while both were stamped 2AA, the one in the carb I was using was absolutely massive compared to the one in the knackered carb. Swapped the smaller one in and the car drives absolutely spot on, perfect power at higher revs (as perfect as a 2cv gets, anyway).

Also managed to squeeze in dropping the fuel tank today and changing over the sender and repairing the wiring to the gauge, so I can see how much I've got in again for the first time in months.
Previous

Return to My Ride