My automotive history

<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:04 pm

My automotive history

Hello. Thought I'd kick off my first post with the cars I've had over the past 16 years or so.

My 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. Bright Red (obviously). 5.7L/350ci LT1 OHV V8. Six-speed manual. Bought her in May of '98. Sold in May '05.

My 1996 Nissan 200SX. Aztec Red. 2.0L SR20DE DOHC I4. Five-speed manual. Purchased August '02. Sold January '07.
My 2006 Ford Mustang GT. Tungsten Gray Metallic. 4.6L/281ci SOHC 3-valve V8. Five-speed manual. Purchased October '05. Sold June '10.

My 2011 Ford Mustang GT. Sterling Gray Metallic. 5.0L/302ci DOHC 4-valve V8. Six-speed manual.
<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: My automotive history

Love the 'stang you currently drive! Look amazing, especially with that color!
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Thinking of selling the Mustang...

I paid off my 2011 GT which I bought four years ago earlier this month, and as I generally go through a new car every 4-5 years, I'm developing an itch for a new car (for better or worse). Quite a few developments came up over the past week regarding my top three candidates...

3. 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack

I'll say it up front: I'll most likely not buy this car. :( It's a bit too big and heavy for my tastes. At nearly $39k, it's the most expensive of the group. Also, if you don't order it with the (from what I've heard, excellent ZF 8-speed) automatic transmission, you get slapped with a $1000 gas-guzzler tax. :x

Still, I like the redesigned interior, and from the specs I've read so far, it comes quite-well equipped. And I LOVE the refreshed exterior; even though I didn't care for the styling cues of the 1971 Challenger, for some reason, they work great for the 2015 model. The 392 Hemi with 485 horsepower and 470 pound/feet of torque sounds quite tasty.

As I said, I probably wouldn't buy this car (I'll still take one out for a test drive, just in case ;) ). But if I did, I'll have it in Sublime green without stripes and with the shaker hood...

2. 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS

As the first spy photos were leaked not too long ago as of this post, it's safe to say I don't know too much about this car. Other than the fact that it actually exists. Also, it's allegedly based on GM's Alpha platform used by the Cadillac ATS, and it will (hopefully) be smaller and lighter than the current Camaro. And it's also rumored that the car may make its debut at NAIAS in January. Until then, I'll keep this car on my radar for now.

1. 2015 Ford Mustang GT

When I first saw this car back in December, I was not impressed at all. :? However, over time, after seeing it at different angles, in different colors and trim levels, the new Mustang has grown on me quite a bit. I also appreciate the fact that after 50 years, the Mustang lineup as a whole finally, FINALLY has a rear suspension that doesn't hearken back to the dark ages. And now that I know the pricing ($35420 MSRP/$34088 invoice for the way I'd spec my 2015) and power figures (435hp/400lb-ft for the GT), and that the car, for all it's improvements and refinements over the outgoing 5th-gen Mustang is only 80 pounds heavier makes me very tempted to put down an order right now...

I'll try to wait until January to see how the new Camaro is, but if it turns out to be a disappointment, I'll most likely be putting down an order for a base Mustang GT in Guard Green with a 6-speed manual, Recaro seats and the Performance Package...(which just happens to be the car pictured above) :D
Last edited by dontmatr on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 pm

bit of an update...

Well, since my last post I've had some minor issues with my 2011 Mustang GT regarding its rear suspension (namely the rear shocks, which have started leaking at 33000 miles...), and in light of my local Ford dealer's (as well as Ford customer service, as a whole) ineptitude/indifference in rectifying, let alone even addressing the issue to remotely my satisfaction, as well as updated information on my potential choices for my next vehicle, I decided a revision to my list of candidates was in order...

3. 2015 Ford Mustang GT

Well, I've seen several reviews of the new Mustang, especially the GT. After reading them, it would seem that it does handle better, with more refinement, more livability , and with a better interior. It also doesn't seem to be any quicker from 0-60, in the quarter mile, nor does it stop any better, and gets worse gas mileage (not by much, but still), and depending on how it's ordered, can be close to 200 pounds heavier than the outgoing GT. I still like the exterior design, though, and still plan to test-drive this car once it starts showing up in dealer lots around here, although my initial enthusiasm for the car has deflated considerably over the past month or so (admittedly, not all of it is the car's fault, but the dealers that sell/service them).

But the only way I would even considering having one in my garage, in light of recent experiences with Ford's customer (dis)service, would be if Ford offered me the car at A-/Z-plan pricing, along with free maintenance for as long as I own it. And even then, I still probably wouldn't buy it.

2. 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS

There have been newer pics of this car floating around the web lately, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. Still won't make any judgement on it until it makes its official debut, whenever that is.

1. Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

Well...in my last post I said I'll likely not buy this car. As of this post, especially after seeing one, and being in one in person (a regular R/T 5.7, not the Scat Pack, mind you), this car has a very good chance of inhabiting my garage by the end of this year/early next year if the local Dodge dealerships don't screw up like Ford did in regards to customer service...

I still find it a bit pricey, and still too big and heavy for my tastes, yet I just find it to be damn charismatic to the point that I don't really care (and yes, I would get it in Sublime Green as pictured above. Normally I prefer cars with more subdued colors, but I just love that shade of green on the Challenger). The interior is also a huge improvement over the 2010 Challenger I was in the last time I was in one. Although I don't care much for automatic transmissions, I care for the $1000 gas guzzler tax if you opt for the 6-speed manual instead even less. That, and the reviews I've read from blogs/owners seem to gush about the performance of the new ZF 8-speed, have made me for the first time in my life, seriously consider an automatic over a manual. And the videos I've seen so far where I could hear the car, it just sounds so incredibly awesome (dare I say, better than the 5.0 in my Mustang, which isn't a bad-sounding car by any means).

Whereas I'll probably drive the new Mustang GT eventually, I'm not particularly eager to (it doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any around locally as of yet). On the other hand, the closest R/T Scat Pack is at a dealership 40 miles away, and I'm very tempted to give the dealer a call later today or tomorrow to see if I can get a test-drive...
<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Mustang going bye-bye...

Well, finally got to get behind the wheel of the Challenger R/T Scat Pack on Thursday. Drove the car pictured above. Didn't like the color, but it didn't matter.

The interior is not exactly 'luxury-grade', but still, I didn't think it was bad at all, and huge improvement over the pre-2015 models...

Pre-2015...

Didn't notice much hard plastic inside; mostly soft-touch materials and aluminum. Seemed to be put together rather well. Wish the car had a handbrake, although for more practical reasons and not for less-mature ones... ;) Seats were comfortable, but could use a bit more side bolstering. Visibility outside wasn't as good as the Mustang, but better than the Camaro. Didn't mess with any HVAC controls, but they seemed intuitive enough. Car had a 7" configurable LCD display between the tach and speedometer, and a 8.4" touchscreen in the dash. Didn't mess with any of it because (1. I couldn't care less about whatever 'telematics' automakers seem to be shoving down motorists' throats these days and if it was an option, mine wouldn't have it and (2. I have no idea how any of it works (for that matter, nor did the sales rep that accompanied me).

Interior room was quite ample; my shoulders, head and legs did not lack for space in this car at all (whereas my legs feel rather penned in the Mustang), and the back seat actually appeared to be able to seat two fair-sized adults.

Now, for the drive:

I didn't get to start the car; the sales guys had that honor, but I didn't really mind as I stood behind the car as they fired it up. I thought my 5.0 in my Mustang had a pretty good sound to it on startup, but it has absolutely nothing on the 6.4L Hemi in the Challenger. It awakens with an authoritative, almost beastly growl, considerably louder than my 5.0, then settles down to a more mellow, quieter burble. The sales rep pulled the car out of the lot, I jumped in, put the shifter into D, let off the brake, and I was off...

I pulled onto the somewhat empty highway from the dealer lot and accelerated rather leisurely to the local speed limit of 55. The 8-speed automatic in this car shifted extremely quickly, yet smoothly, better than any automatic I've ever experienced. The roads were relatively smooth here, the Challenger rode very nicely, and soaked up whatever few bumps and imperfections there were with aplomb. The Challenger shuts off 4 cylinders at cruise/light throttle, but I could barely notice it. The car is very civilized and remarkably quiet whilst at cruise.

After a few minutes of highway driving, I pulled onto some back roads that I'd taken my Mustang through in the past to see how well the suspension handled rougher, less-maintained pavement, as well as some curves. The fully-independent suspension shrugged off bumps, irregularities and potholes with considerably more compliance, along with less harshness than the Mustang. When I introduced it to some gentle-to-moderate curves, I was pleasantly surprised that it handled them quite nicely; it didn't feel as nimble as my Mustang through these curves, but it was quite competent nonetheless, especially for it's weight (~4200lbs) and the rather skinny tires relative to its size (245/45/20 on all 4 corners). I had no complaints about the brakes, (14.2" rotors up front, 13.8" rotors in the back, all with 4-piston Brembo calipers)except that they were perhaps a tad touchy/grabby.

Satisfied that this Challenger could actually handle to my satisfaction, I was about to pull back onto the highway that I was on earlier. I was rather reluctant to really put the car through its paces, as it only had 20 miles on it, but the salesman actually encouraged me to 'give it some gas'. I pushed the accelerator down to about half-way, and the Challenger ROARED. I went from 25mph to 60 in what seemed like only 2 or 3 seconds. It just bolted forward with so little drama aside from the glorious sound of the 6.4 Hemi and my body being pushed back into the seat. The transmission downshifted from 8th to whatever gear it needed to be (not really sure) with an amazing rapidity, yet so smooth, not at all jerky or shuddery like other automatics I've experienced. The automatic in the R/T Scat Pack had both a manual-shift gate in the console, as well as paddle shifters on the steering wheel, but I didn't use either. The transmission just always seemed to know EXACTLY what gear it needed to be in while I was driving. And the exhaust note the car makes under hard acceleration is just incredible. The active exhaust on this car is just right. Nice and quiet during cruise, and very loud and raucous when you're on it. The 6.4 in the Challenger just trumps the 5.0 in this area, no question in my mind.

After about 25 minutes, I took the car back to the dealership, and parked it next to my Mustang. As expected, it dwarfed it quite readily, especially with regards to overall length. So much that I'm not sure if it would fit in my garage! :?

Still, my final verdict for the 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack is...I like it. A LOT. And I want one. BAD. So much so that I am definitely going to order one by the end of this year, so help me...

(p.s...this Challenger has some apps in which you can adjust certain parameters of the car via the 8.4" touchscreen; Engine response, transmission mode/shift quality, traction/stability control, steering feel, and several others that I can't recall. But I'm rather certain that these settings were in their base/normal modes during the test drive. I'd LOVE to see how it would run with the settings set to sport/off... :twisted: )
<<

andyT

Cars: A Golf Buggy!

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Cool photos! I was browsing other threads when I read this. 2015 Ford Mustang GT is love at first sight! I love the color and the car design! I wish I could own one in the future!

-Andy
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks for the report. I've removed the link in question as it seems to be subtle spam. Not enough grounds for a ban yet, but will be watching closely.
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Soon (I hope)...

Well, it's been two months since I test drove the '15 Challenger, and was dead-set on getting this 392 Hemi Shaker edition pictured below (preferably in Sublime Green and without the center stripe)...

...until I found out that this particular model will not be available until spring at the earliest, and since I don't feel like waiting until spring, I've decided on 'settling' for the standard R/T Scat Pack model instead.

I also had a look at Sublime Green and my second choice color, Ivory White at a local dealership. I wasn't particularly blown away by the former once I saw it person, one of the few instances where a car color ended up looking worse in the flesh than on paper or a screen. Ivory White, on the other hand, was the reverse. Had a definite pearl effect to it (no surprise, since the full name of the color is Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl) that looked great when the sun hit at just the right angles, and the color just seemed right for this car, although I'll admit this particular Challenger influenced my decision to go for Ivory White, as well...

(no plans to send mine airborne, not intentionally, anyway... ;) )

Anyway, I've decided to go with the R/T Scat Pack with the following options...
- Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl paint
- Driver Convenience Group, which includes HID headlamps, blind spot/cross-path detection system, remote start and universal garage door opener and power folding mirrors
- Leather Interior Group, which comes with heated/ventilated seats trimmed in leather and Alcantara, 'Hectic Mesh' styled aluminum interior bezels, heated steering wheel, and power tilt/telescoping steering column
- TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic transmission (aka ZF 8HP70...normally I'd go with a manual, but then I get slapped with a $1000 gas-guzzler tax. Besides, the 8-speed is only $246 more, after figuring in the GG tax, and the ZF/Torqueflite is just so damn good that it made me a convert...)

MSRP price on this car comes to $42685...I hope to take quite a bit off of that when I face off against the dealerships in my area to place an order around/on New Year's eve. :roll:

This is what it will look like once it arrives (photos do not do this color justice)...
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 12086 times

IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg (147.56 KiB) Viewed 12086 times

Most likely the only thing I'll change will be the tires (once they've worn out) - stock tires are 245/45/R20 Goodyear F1 Supercars; I don't like the size (too skinny) or the manufacturer, and will probably switch to 275/40/R20s from a more reputable manufacturer, all around on the stock wheels.
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:03 am

Ooh, I might wait until spring if I were you, the Shaker 392 looks great, even more so in the green you are considering.
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 am

B5 Blue is where it's at. Is that colour available yet?
<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:08 am

Jakgoe wrote:Ooh, I might wait until spring if I were you, the Shaker 392 looks great, even more so in the green you are considering.

I agree on the aesthetic appeal of the Shaker, but Sublime Green just didn't have the impact I was expecting once I saw it in person. They had a color several years back called "Green With Envy" which looked fantastic in person (looked considerably more vivid and metallic), while the Sublime by comparison looked rather dull. If I could get Green With Envy on a 2015, I would, but alas...

I'm still dead-set on getting the standard R/T Scat Pack, which to me, has an appeal all its own; aside from the 6.4L Superbee emblems on the front fenders, the wheels, and the Brembo brakes, it's outwardly identical to the lesser R/T 5.7 models (in fact I've toying with idea of replacing the fender emblems with the Hemi emblems from the 5.7 model once I get mine). The fact that's cheaper than the Shaker (how much so is a mystery, as Dodge/FCA is still being coy about pricing :roll: ), and available now adds to the appeal. That and I REALLY want to distance myself from my Mustang, and by extension, Ford Motor Company ASAP.

Microwave wrote:B5 Blue is where it's at. Is that colour available yet?

From what I've heard B5 will be available in February at the earliest.
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:10 am

Is their also Plum Crazy for 2015? That is also an amazing colour.
<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:19 am

Microwave wrote:Is their also Plum Crazy for 2015? That is also an amazing colour.

Nope, just these:
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:24 am

No way, they dropped Plum Crazy? Damn shame, that was my favourite colour in the lineup :(
<<

dontmatr

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:21 am

Microwave wrote:No way, they dropped Plum Crazy? Damn shame, that was my favourite colour in the lineup :(

Apparently, there are only enough storage tanks for 12-13 colors at the paint facility in Brampton, which has caused some fuss with quite a few Challenger fans/owners, especially regarding what some would regard as redundant choices for colors; for instance, two reds, two blacks, and two whites in the current lineup.

By comparison, prospective buyers of 1970-1971 Challengers had a rather broader palette from which to choose:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1970&manuf=Chrysler&smodel=Chrysler&info=&page=2
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1971&manuf=Chrysler&smodel=Challenger&info=&page=2
Next

Return to My Ride