FAQ  •  Login

My Cobalt

<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

My Cobalt

So here is my American ride, 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 5 speed coupe. The car was purchased brand new in 2007 by me and currently has 47,7xx miles. The interior is custom modified SS ebony swap with pink accents. There is a long list of mods, which I won't list here, and there is a supercharger kit sitting in my living room which will eventually go on the 2.2L L61 motor. Now on to the pictures!

Exterior shots.

Black interior swap from SS model.
<<

Route99

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1991 VW Passat B3 with his wonderful 2E

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:06 am

Re: My Cobalt

Here in Russia Cobalt looks a bit different :D

1349303142_2012-chevrolet-cobalt_1.jpg
1349303142_2012-chevrolet-cobalt_1.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
<<

Pleb

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: I have TWO Peugeots. Please feel sorry for me.

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:13 am

Love the small touches of colour in there, not too much but just enough to be noticeable :) I love those lights too!

EDIT: 200th post! :P
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Route99 wrote:Here in Russia Cobalt looks a bit different :D

Here in America, that would be called an Aveo! But yeah, I'm an administrator on a Cobalt website here in the US, so I've seen that before. They stopped making the Cobalt (and the Aveo too) here in 2010. They also sell that version in Australia I have heard.
Last edited by 07CobaltGirl on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 pm

pleb wrote:Love the small touches of colour in there, not too much but just enough to be noticeable :) I love those lights too!

EDIT: 200th post! :P

Yeah, black/pink look great together, but it is a challenge to not go overboard with the pink. Most of the guys I know say "I'd still rock that even with the pink!" hahaha I've been going back and forth on what else to do. Definitely want to get some more suspension components powdercoated. Brakes are painted pink, coil springs are already powdercoated pink. Thinking sway bars would look good in pink too! (with gloss black control arms, of course) And those lights were expensive. They are custom, one-off, quad retrofitted Generation 3 Spyder headlights. Quad Mini H1's and the original CCFL halos and LED's running bi-xenon (inner lights) with a relay to keep them on with the outer high beams at 6000k on all 4 bulbs. They're a special treat for those big 4x4 trucks with HID headlights, HID low foglights, and HID hi-top spotlights running around here in Georgia. **Seriously, why do you need all those lights on when driving in the city anyway??????** For those guys, my response is, "Yep, I can blind you from my low-ride even with you sitting 8 feet in the air, Bubba!" BWAHAHA
<<

Junny

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Nissan 180sx Type-X
Toyota Starlet Life

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:03 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:

Here in America, that would be called an Aveo! But yeah, I'm an administrator on a Cobalt website here in the US, so I've seen that before. They stopped making the Cobalt (and the Aveo too) here in 2010. They also sell that version in Australia I have heard.

Here in Aus we never got anything directly related to cobalt. Only a few different models based of the same chassis all of which were never really successful here(astra/viva).
<<

Route99

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 1991 VW Passat B3 with his wonderful 2E

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:

Your Cobalt is much more attractive :)
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Thu May 01, 2014 1:47 pm

haha Thanks!
<<

ZanBay

Cars: Volkswagen Golf 1.4L

Post Tue May 06, 2014 5:19 am

They Are Dangerous Cars They Have Recalled Millions
<<

gt1cooper

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1969 Mustang GT
2014 Ram 1500 Hemi
2009 Infiniti M35s
2014 VW CC
2013 BMW 640i

Post Tue May 06, 2014 10:45 am

ZanBay wrote:They Are Dangerous Cars They Have Recalled Millions

Yes, for an ignition switch issue. That in itself is not that bad, the fact that they covered it up for so long is; many deaths could have been permitted.

However, this car in itself, as cars are the sum of their parts, is not unsafe, is very pretty, and is an amazing piece of engineering. It could probably figure out capitalization with the CPU in it!
The only thing which I could possibly consider unsafe are the drum brakes which I believe this car has in the rear; not unsafe for driving, but for changing the pads! I've broken fingers and cut deep into my hand to where I needed stitches from silly mistakes changing out the pads, or removing water from the inside, or switching them out for discs (Our 69 Mustang had discs in the front and drums in the rear from factory). It probably is much easier to do today though.
By the way, which website is this? (That you are an admin) My neighbor has an 05 Cobalt SS with new internals and upped boost, with around 380 WHP. It does manage to put down that power admirably on the Yokohama R1's he has on it. It's made me want to look into them :lol:
<<

Slim Jim

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe, 6-speed manual

Post Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 am

GT1Cooper: Thanks for the laugh! :lol: But seriously, don't encourage him: He's Just Looking For Attention.

That said, I like what you've done with the car! I've driven the Pontiac G5 (Cobalt-clone) and they're nice cars. I also got to ride in a Saturn ION Redline back in 2005, and raced against one at the track. Please post your timeslips (or dyno sheets) as soon as you install that supercharger. :mrgreen:
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Tue May 06, 2014 4:22 pm

gt1cooper wrote:
ZanBay wrote:They Are Dangerous Cars They Have Recalled Millions

Yes, for an ignition switch issue. That in itself is not that bad, the fact that they covered it up for so long is; many deaths could have been permitted.

However, this car in itself, as cars are the sum of their parts, is not unsafe, is very pretty, and is an amazing piece of engineering. It could probably figure out capitalization with the CPU in it!
The only thing which I could possibly consider unsafe are the drum brakes which I believe this car has in the rear; not unsafe for driving, but for changing the pads! I've broken fingers and cut deep into my hand to where I needed stitches from silly mistakes changing out the pads, or removing water from the inside, or switching them out for discs (Our 69 Mustang had discs in the front and drums in the rear from factory). It probably is much easier to do today though.
By the way, which website is this? (That you are an admin) My neighbor has an 05 Cobalt SS with new internals and upped boost, with around 380 WHP. It does manage to put down that power admirably on the Yokohama R1's he has on it. It's made me want to look into them :lol:

Well, I have the recall notice from GM on the ignition switch. The car has had 3 recalls on it in the 8 years since it was built. None of them were problems I had experienced, and I have yet to go get the most recent ignition switch replaced, but I still had the recalls done just to be safe. The car is paid off, and has been a phenomenal experience with a newer car. Before this, I had never owned a car build after 1989. I like muscle cars, and they pretty much stopped building those in the 80's and early 90's. For reference, my first car was a 1969 Camaro with a factory 427 sitting under the hood. (no, I do not have pics, as in 1985 we didn't have the internet or digital cameras) My father and I rebuilt it from a boneyard body and short block.

The site is Cobalt Universe dot net (I'm not sure we're allowed to post other sites here?), and it has been around since 2010. User name is same here as it is there. ;) It's a pretty small site, with only 50 or so active users. Running a forum website is a lot of work. Thankfully it is not my site. I am the co-admin and the owner does most of the work. I mainly just respond to problems/issues in his absence (and issue the banhammer on spammers and troublemakers).

As for drum brakes, they can be dangerous if they are really old, or poorly maintained, but they're not really so bad otherwise. The benefit of them, since this is FWD, is the E-brake cable is tied to a drum which is far more safe than attaching it to a disc brake setup. The large majority of stopping is done by the front brakes anyway, plus it is a manual transmission, so most of my braking is done with the left foot and right hand. ;)

The 2.2L L61 is not nearly as powerful as the SS model's 2.0L LSJ your friend has, even before the internals were done, so mine will be very mild compared to it. I'm expecting in the ballpark of 210 at the front wheels, which is a pretty hefty upgrade from the ~130 it currently has. You might be surprised to know, the 2008 Cobalt SS/TC (LNF) held a record on the 'Ring in it's class for quite a while! At 260 (crank) it is actually a pretty powerful factory car, and has some pretty good handling in the suspension to keep it on the pavement.
<<

WizzyThaMan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: Citroën Saxo, Mazda 2

Post Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am

Amazing car. One of the cars from a traditional american muscle company that I do like. Dodge Avenger is another one I like. I wish the little tuning things like the headlight colours and such were allowed here. We have very strict rules when it comes to tuning unfortunately, though, I believe all the things you did (except the lights) are acceptable here.

Good looking car! keep up the good work and care :D
Founder of AutomationHub, for all your Automation needs!
Please visit us at: http://www.automationhub.net
Like our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/automationhub
Our livestream channel: http://www.twitch.tv/automationhub
<<

gt1cooper

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 1969 Mustang GT
2014 Ram 1500 Hemi
2009 Infiniti M35s
2014 VW CC
2013 BMW 640i

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote: You might be surprised to know, the 2008 Cobalt SS/TC (LNF) held a record on the 'Ring in it's class for quite a while! At 260 (crank) it is actually a pretty powerful factory car, and has some pretty good handling in the suspension to keep it on the pavement.

I never have heard about that before. I might look into one, though I will probably stick with my F150 :lol: These pickups are pretty quick for how practical they are. The only thing that bothers me occasionally is how easy it is to light up the rears with the really short first and second gears; when I was learning how to drive fast, we took it on a track day, (The track officials didn't know it was me, not my dad driving, of course) and coming around a tight hairpin, I stomped it too early, and with how we had pulled the AdvanceTrac fuse (Basically ESC, TC and Antiroll) I went in an unplanned circle. It doesn't help that we've got it on Nitto 295 60 R20 trail grapplers :lol:. Also, when sideways, we kind of blocked the whole track with that 7600 Lb behemoth.

I do love the Cobalts. It's a shame that the two closest things are a Focus ST and a Mazdaspeed 3 today, in terms of the FWD fun. I don't believe that either of them could even outrun a Cobalt SS, nor could they easily be built to well over 420 HP at the crank. The Mazda has trouble putting down under 300.
<<

Jakgoe

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL,
1994 Mercedes-Benz S600

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Wizzy, what are the laws for modifying and tuning cars in the Netherlands?
World #1 Ranked Automation Player!

Co-Owner of the World Rally Team

Smolensk Motors Showroom

Smolensk Tuning

We will continue the Epic Rap Battles of Automation.
Next

Return to My Ride