FAQ  •  Login

A car for Grandma

<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A 1999 Honda Civic Sedan named Flapjack.

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:50 am

A car for Grandma

Hello everyone!

Recently, my grandma just moved into a new townhouse. Trouble is, it has a single car garage, and her 2011 Chrysler 300 barely even fits in it. Therefore, she's looking for a new car that will actually fit.

Her new car needs to be smaller than her current car. The dimensions for the Chrysler are 199″ L x 75″ W x 59″ H. Height is not an issue, however, length and width are.

She's aiming for a price in the mid $20,000's, but she may be tempted by a slightly pricier car if it's really good. However, she doesn't want a bare bones, base model car. The ideal car for her is fully loaded, with heated seats, satellite navigation with bluetooth, and all those other goodies.

A sunroof is a must-have for her.

She's mostly looking for a hatchback, wagon, or crossover, but she might be okay with a sedan. It needs to seat 5 or more.

She's mainly looking at new cars, however, a used car from 2010 or newer could interest her.

I've compiled a list of cars which she might like:

Buick Encore

Mazda CX-3

Mazda CX-5

Audi A3

Nissan Rogue

Buick Verano

Buick Regal

Chevrolet Malibu

Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback

Saab 9-3 SportCombi

Lincoln MKX

Chevrolet Trax

Honda HR-V

Subaru Outback

Volvo V60

Volkswagen Golf SportWagon

Cadillac SRX (A little too wide, still a possibility)

Comment your thoughts, and suggestions!
Name of Car Company: Spitfire Motor Company
Owner of company: Spitfire599
Website or Forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8680 and viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8968
Established: 1948
Company ID: 1948599
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:18 am

Re: A car for Grandma

It is hard to help you with anything specific because you enlisted 17 cars in roughly 4 different classes. Due to quality I would cross chevrolets malibu and cruze. Saab is not a wise choice because parts and dealers are getting harder to get (although I admire saabs).
I think she should decide if she want's to sit higher or not, and what does she actually need. Is a wagon a must? Or is hatchback enough. Does she value premium interior over running costs?
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:27 am

Okay, first off, Chevrolet has improved in quality over the years. Secondly, she can't climb too high or get down too low to get into a car, she should be able to slide in easily. Also, she doesn't care if it's a hatchback, wagon, or SUV, just as long as it has a liftgate. Also, no coupes or 3 door hatchbacks. And finally, she does value a premium interior over running costs. She wants to feel comfortable.
Website or Forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8680 and viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8968
<<

AirJordan

Cars: Cee apostrophe d

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:03 am

I agree that's why I kept Trax as a choice.
Does she need AWD? Does she do long highway drives or more city stuff?
I must tell you that in my mind I have crossed some other cars as well: SRX - why have such a big car?, Outback-same as srx and why not crosstrack, Golf SW-why not hatch or tiguan?, V60- no need for wagon.
I am ruling out bigger cars (also MKX) because you said there is a space shortage and I am that kind of a person who go for the size that I actually need. Since her previous car was 300 maybe she would feel as comfortable in cars like Trax&co. Only test drive could decide that.
New A3 has surely best quality interiour of bunch but you must go easy on the options or price will go astronomic. Maybe this way Golf is preferable.
Now more elder people go for let's say crossovers (not really SUVs) for simple reason of getting in and out comfortably. A would say gor for Encore and HR-V. Mazdas do look great and are blast to drive but for grandma there is no need for sporty drive. Trax is a cheaper Encore so your choice.
If it would be my grandma I would probably go HR-V. It's simple, just enough space and comfortable.
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 am

all i can say is my grandmother has a 2010 malibu, and she loves it, the other cars i cannot say though
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am

$20,000 gets you a 2014-2015 Subaru crosstrek which are pretty decent cars and their ride right means its easy to just slide in.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

JayZee88

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 1970 Buick Electra 225 Convertible
2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 pm

For the ease of entry and exit you should take cross overs off the list. I have a 02 Rendezvous and they can be difficult to get in and out of. A Chrysler 300 is a car, and she wants something smaller. A SUV/crossover isn't smaller its larger. A Buick Lesabre would be exactly what she needs. 3.8V6 means it will last forever. Very soft, comfy interior, 30+ mpg, and easy to get in and out of. My mother and aunt both have one and they love them. Im even thinking that my next modern car I buy will be a late model LeSabre.

http://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2002-lesabre_custom/
Buick Club of America and 1959 Buick Division Member
*1959 Buick Lesabre 2 dr hardtop
*1970 Buick Electra 225 Convertible
*2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL
<<

Spitfire599

Naturally Aspirated

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:52 pm

I would have her buy one in a heartbeat. However, it's actually larger than the garage she wants to put it in!
<<

oppositelock

Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter

Cars: Scion FR-S

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Crossovers make me want to stab puppies. The correct answer is Mazda 3 or 6. Easily the best driving cars in their class, good looks, great fuel economy.

<<

SkylineFTW97

Cars: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6

Post Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:01 am

I'd recommend sticking to the sedans as well. And you really don't need AWD. My grandmother lives up in the Apppalacian Mountains, and drives a 10 year old, FWD Toyota Avalon. Considering her recommendations, definitely look an entry-luxe model.
Drew Motor Vehicles
Company ID: #1938042

Return to Off Topic