FAQ  •  Login

anyone here know anything on linux?

<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:34 pm

anyone here know anything on linux?

hey, so uhh, anyone here know much on linux? i know this is already an extremely nice community, so i don't have to worry about getting yelled at for being an idiot (unlike this one community where i literally got ran out of it by people being self righteous idiots believing in one thing and one thing only) so now i ask of you guys, anyone here know linux? or at least a community that aren't comprised of complete asshats?
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: anyone here know anything on linux?

We tired Linux in my school once. Broke the profiles of people who tried to use it.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Vri404 wrote:We tired Linux in my school once. Broke the profiles of people who tried to use it.

lol, sounds like an IT hell, so, you know much from that experience?
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:17 pm

What is it you'd like to know about Linux? I'm not an expert, but I can find my way around pretty well after ~17 years of working in it regularly. Currently I'm running 4 Linux-based servers and anther box as a network firewall in my house as a hobby. I also had Automation running on Crossover, albeit very poor framerates and many random crashes. I would like to say, do not ask which one is best/easiest/etc, because you could ask 50 users that question and get 50 completely different answers back.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:28 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:What is it you'd like to know about Linux? I'm not an expert, but I can find my way around pretty well after ~17 years of working in it regularly. Currently I'm running 4 Linux-based servers and anther box as a network firewall in my house as a hobby. I also had Automation running on Crossover, albeit very poor framerates and many random crashes. I would like to say, do not ask which one is best/easiest/etc, because you could ask 50 users that question and get 50 completely different answers back.

ah, thanks, so i have my laptop all nice and set up with linux (want some specifics, just ask) and since i am usually at school part of the day, i often find i have some time to kill, so i want to play some games, but to install steam i need the graphics driver, along with to have the ability to do some other basic games like openTTD, so i have gotten as far as being able to run the command sudo aptitude -r -t wheezy-backports install fglrx-legacy-driver but every time it errors saying there are missing dependencies: The following NEW packages will be installed:
acpi-support-base{a} acpid{a} fglrx-legacy-atieventsd{a} fglrx-legacy-driver{b}
fglrx-legacy-modules-dkms{a} glx-alternative-fglrx{a} glx-alternative-mesa{a} glx-diversions{a}
libfglrx-legacy{a} libfglrx-legacy-amdxvba1{a} libgl1-fglrx-legacy-glx{a}
nvidia-installer-cleanup{a}
0 packages upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
Need to get 19.0 MB of archives. After unpacking 86.4 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
fglrx-legacy-driver : Depends: xorg-video-abi-12 which is a virtual package. or
xorg-video-abi-11 which is a virtual package. or
xorg-video-abi-10 which is a virtual package. or
xorg-video-abi-8 which is a virtual package. or
xorg-video-abi-6.0 which is a virtual package.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1) fglrx-legacy-driver [Not Installed]

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
2) fglrx-legacy-atieventsd recommends fglrx-legacy-driver (= 8.97.100.7-3~bpo70+1)

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
i have always just clicked yes out of fear of bricking the system, since if these are dependencies, aren't they just on a repo somewhere i can install them from? or do i need to do more technical kerfuffle?
<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:27 am

Now I don't know about how to solve linux problems, but there are lots of tutorials on the web. I do know some interesting programs you can use. PCSX is an emulator for playstation games, and if you want to run windows games, try running them with WINE (An emulator for windows games but they don't really call it one). You can't run some games if they have another assets folder like automation does.
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:02 pm

@ cpufreak: You're using Ubuntu or some other Debian based Linux apparently, and apt-get is not something I use often, as I stick primarily to RPM based distros. I can offer some minimal help, as the process is similar, but the syntax of how to make it work is very different. That being said, Ubuntu is probably the most Windows-like Linux there is. That being said, third party graphics drivers are not generally found in standard repos. You'll have to add repos to get them, though you seem to be finding them already? To get official nvidia drivers for RPM-based you look in the Fusion repo, although most of them offer their own version of an nvidia driver on their own. It's looking for xorg, which is the basic Linux graphics module, so are you running command-line only? If you are running a GUI, your xorg should be updated already, if your system is updated. My first step would be to find out if xorg is, in fact, installed on the system by running a query against the local (machine) repo. You should be able to do this by issuing the following command at the command line:
  Code:
dpkg-query -W --showformat '${Status}\n' xorg-video-abi

This should return the version of any software installed matching the query. I'm not 100% on the formatting of the query however, as I use RPM and it is quite different. There are a number of ways to handle it. You could use a skip-dependencies argument, which will install the software without dependencies, and could brick the system (or it might work), or you could

I did a search and found somebody with nearly the same issue about 12 months ago on ubuntu forums, AND it is steam related as well. They seemed to have found a working solution, so while it is a year old, they may have more recent occurrences with newer drivers. Linux is a very general term, as it covers hundreds of variants running similar kernels and file structures. They are not all created equally, however, so the best place to look for help is at the source. Ubuntu users should be asking other Ubuntu users. I can help, but only in a general idea sort of way. For example, the command above in my RPM systems would be:
  Code:
RPM -q xorg.*
and to find out where to find a given dependency you would use:
  Code:
RPM -q --whatprovides [name of dependency]
. The web forum below certainly walks you through some ideas on how to figure out your specific problem and offers a solution for the old problem.

@speedemon: WINE is not really great for gaming applications. It's more for office suites and productivity software from Windows. Crossover is probably one of the best gaming versions of WINE, and it is a paid software. Alternatively, Steam offers a lot of titles which are ported to or designed to run on the Linux OS natively. Emulators are great for nostalgia purposes, because not everything has been ported everywhere and sometimes you just gotta play that old game, but they are not a replacement for a proper gaming platform, and can be a real headache when things go wrong.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:14 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:@ cpufreak: You're using Ubuntu or some other Debian based Linux apparently, and apt-get is not something I use often, as I stick primarily to RPM based distros. I can offer some minimal help, as the process is similar, but the syntax of how to make it work is very different. That being said, Ubuntu is probably the most Windows-like Linux there is. That being said, third party graphics drivers are not generally found in standard repos. You'll have to add repos to get them, though you seem to be finding them already? To get official nvidia drivers for RPM-based you look in the Fusion repo, although most of them offer their own version of an nvidia driver on their own. It's looking for xorg, which is the basic Linux graphics module, so are you running command-line only? If you are running a GUI, your xorg should be updated already, if your system is updated. My first step would be to find out if xorg is, in fact, installed on the system by running a query against the local (machine) repo. You should be able to do this by issuing the following command at the command line:
  Code:
dpkg-query -W --showformat '${Status}\n' xorg-video-abi

This should return the version of any software installed matching the query. I'm not 100% on the formatting of the query however, as I use RPM and it is quite different. There are a number of ways to handle it. You could use a skip-dependencies argument, which will install the software without dependencies, and could brick the system (or it might work), or you could

I did a search and found somebody with nearly the same issue about 12 months ago on ubuntu forums, AND it is steam related as well. They seemed to have found a working solution, so while it is a year old, they may have more recent occurrences with newer drivers. Linux is a very general term, as it covers hundreds of variants running similar kernels and file structures. They are not all created equally, however, so the best place to look for help is at the source. Ubuntu users should be asking other Ubuntu users. I can help, but only in a general idea sort of way. For example, the command above in my RPM systems would be:
  Code:
RPM -q xorg.*
and to find out where to find a given dependency you would use:
  Code:
RPM -q --whatprovides [name of dependency]
. The web forum below certainly walks you through some ideas on how to figure out your specific problem and offers a solution for the old problem.

@speedemon: WINE is not really great for gaming applications. It's more for office suites and productivity software from Windows. Crossover is probably one of the best gaming versions of WINE, and it is a paid software. Alternatively, Steam offers a lot of titles which are ported to or designed to run on the Linux OS natively. Emulators are great for nostalgia purposes, because not everything has been ported everywhere and sometimes you just gotta play that old game, but they are not a replacement for a proper gaming platform, and can be a real headache when things go wrong.

thanks for the help, i'll be trying this later though as i slipped and fell on ice (Doh!) and my right hand is totally useless until it heals up a bit more, so that's kinda the more pressing issue right now lol, but hey, what can i do about it? oh, btwm you're right, it's a version of debian, kali, actually, just don't ask why

Return to Off Topic