FAQ  •  Login

Donald Trump jokes?

<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 am

Donald Trump jokes?

Because everyone loves a Donald Trump joke.
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Donald Trump jokes?

There's no need to make up jokes, everything he does in the light of the campaign is a joke. Sarah Palin's recent endorsement speech was also a joke. His whole 'ban the Muslims' thing is also a joke, albeit a really bad, disturbing one. The only plus side to it is finally the media are starting to give moderate Muslims a bit more of a voice, which would have been better had not the scare campaign that "Islam by definition requires you to lie about your plans for world domination", which seems to be particularly popular among the more social conservative/spiritually fervent of Judeo-Roman Christian denominations, already is in full swing, regardless of any relation to or degree of truth in it. Point there being actions taken to tar an entire 'faction' with the same brush is extraordinarily unhelpful and largely a matter of identity politics stemming from the feeling of being threatened.

What's less of a joke is the underlying message of why he seems to garner support. There's a real desperation in the air. A real need to point fingers and blame other people for one's delusions and lack of insight into why things don't seem to work the way they do. A real lack of awareness that Trump personifies the very Man that keeps all the players that support him down.
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:16 am

Donald Trump.
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:49 am

^
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 am

UltimateBMWfan wrote:Donald Trump.

I'm going to expand on this comment by adding the definition of "trumpery" to the conversation. This is real. Life imitates art, imitates life!

Definition of "trumpery" at Oxford Dictionaries Online

trumpery
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: trump·er·y
Pronunciation: /ˈtrəmp(ə)rē/
archaic
Definition of trumpery in English:
noun (plural trumperies)
1Attractive articles of little value or use.
Example sentences

All along the extent of the corridor, in little alcoves, there are stalls of shops, kept principally by women, who, as you approach, are seen through the dusk offering for sale… multifarious trumpery.
The 2000 or so mercers included great merchants engaged in international trade and small traders selling trumpery objects from their shops.

1.1Practices or beliefs that are superficially or visually appealing but have little real value or worth.
Example sentences

An assertion of absolute moral superiority in the form of black-shirted nuclear families - spiritual trumpery via breeding.
In fact, it's even more important to bring a critical eye to bear on issues of such import, if only to avoid the kind of moral trumpery that goes on in these sorts of letters.
You mean to tell me I gave the book up for nothing but trumpery?
Get more examples

adjective
1Showy but worthless: trumpery jewelry
More example sentences

Descriptions of the artist in his painting room ‘up to his ears in the trumpery he had been collecting for many a year’ include these panels, which he hoped ‘to use… in some way that may add to their value.’
A gipsy boy, with whom I was on friendly terms, used to travel about this part of the country selling trumpery brooches and ornaments.

1.1Delusive or shallow: that trumpery hope which lets us dupe ourselves
More example sentences

We need not neglect all our work for a trumpery incident of this nature; though I am quite aware that little things please little minds.
Deploring the damage done by gulfs between creeds and cultures, he opens up a crevasse between the seemingly serious intent of his novel and the trumpery nature of its techniques.

Origin

Late Middle English (denoting trickery): from Old French tromperie, from tromper 'deceive'.

Return to Off Topic