FAQ  •  Login

Thinking about writing a book... Need something for it.

<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Thinking about writing a book... Need something for it.

I cannot give you my opinion on the games. But I can give you one on writing the book itself.

You see, writing a book requires a lot of skills, determination, discipline and some other stuff that I can't think of right now. It's a huge undertaking and it's really frickin difficult to do (not do right, just do). As far as I've seen even your Injection Magazine on this forums you didn't wrote the review yourself. That wouldn't be a good way to show your writing skill, would it?

My advice is that you should finish a challenge you started on this forum first, as that's much easier than what you seems to be aiming for with your theoretical book and is actually quite a good training on keeping schedule. And also a good way to learn prose, because creating an interesting challenge requires good write up. Writing essays also help training massively, but you have to show it to other people, not judging them yourself.

Hell, if you attend English class you should already know what you're capable of in terms of writing. The problem is other people don't know what you're capable of, and if I may be quite honest. From just a few of your posts and works here it doesn't appear to be that you have had much training in this sort of thing at all. NormanVauxhall on IRC and forum can also tell you other stuff I may have not able to think of that's relevant to this.

The idea is a good start. But before you start you better have the skill to do so. I hope you good luck. You'll need it regardless.
uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

Speedemon

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: A Birel Go Kart. I can't remember the full chassis name. 4-stroke, Honda GX160, makes around 5-hp (With limiter)

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 am

Re: Thinking about writing a book... Need something for it.

conan wrote:I cannot give you my opinion on the games. But I can give you one on writing the book itself.

You see, writing a book requires a lot of skills, determination, discipline and some other stuff that I can't think of right now. It's a huge undertaking and it's really frickin difficult to do (not do right, just do). As far as I've seen even your Injection Magazine on this forums you didn't wrote the review yourself. That wouldn't be a good way to show your writing skill, would it?

My advice is that you should finish a challenge you started on this forum first, as that's much easier than what you seems to be aiming for with your theoretical book and is actually quite a good training on keeping schedule. And also a good way to learn prose, because creating an interesting challenge requires good write up. Writing essays also help training massively, but you have to show it to other people, not judging them yourself.

Hell, if you attend English class you should already know what you're capable of in terms of writing. The problem is other people don't know what you're capable of, and if I may be quite honest. From just a few of your posts and works here it doesn't appear to be that you have had much training in this sort of thing at all. NormanVauxhall on IRC and forum can also tell you other stuff I may have not able to think of that's relevant to this.

The idea is a good start. But before you start you better have the skill to do so. I hope you good luck. You'll need it regardless.

I am a good writer, but you do have some points. When I was doing Injection Magazine (which is now just Injection) I did not have a lot of time at all and it still feels that way. I do have some writing skill, but not enough to make a huge book probably. I am doing this as an experiment kind of, so if it does not get off the ground, I would just go back to being normal.
"I don't care how fat I am, I am getting in that car and I am going to win" -Speedemon
Previous

Return to Off Topic