Automation Live for Speed Race - The Rematch

<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 2006 Suzuki Swift+

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Automation Live for Speed Race - The Rematch

The thing is, all the events are for fun, like with pretty much all simracing, with the exception of very high level stuff like the iRacing pro series.

And I would like to add that even in the rallycross event you should not divebomb or do other extremely late braking manoeuvers that end up taking people out sometimes. The typical rallycross shenanigans like going 3 wide door to door in the second dirt part or a little love tap on the rear bumper is fine, crashing into someone hard enough to send him offtrack is not.

I would also add in your very specific case that you have a fairly high ping, which results in you warping on the track (at least from my PoV), so you should try to make sure you leave a decent amount of space between you and others to prevent crashes caused by lag.
<<

spavatch

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '97 Fiat Punto GT
and some more Italians ;)

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:09 pm

Since no official results were given yet I guess I might as well submit something myself. Here's the laptime analysis of the main event for each driver that managed to finish the run.

lfs_lap_consistency2.png
LFS race Jan 9 2016 lap consistency chart
lfs_lap_consistency2.png (608.24 KiB) Viewed 6207 times

A magnificent event all round. Serious pressure from other drivers, numerous perils, difficult decisions with pitting strategy (in my case case forgoing pitting completely to prevent being lapped and continuing racing for 10 laps with collapsed suspension), last lap battle for the lead between two crippled vehicles. Honestly, I have a hard time recalling having such enjoyable time with online racing. Thanks a bunch, guys! :)

Congratulations from Maras and myself go to Evardsen and TrackpadUser for impressive laptime consistency. Good stuff.

Looking forward to official afterword from the Race Official.

Oh and by the way, did anyone save the replay? Mine is gone, so are the screenshots... :|
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:41 pm

spavatch wrote:Congratulations from Maras and myself go to Evardsen and TrackpadUser for impressive laptime consistency. Good stuff.

It helps a lot when you don't get wheel issues :lol:

But seriously, so many mechanical problems.

I think you, Maras and Evardsen all had to recalibrate their wheel or something at some point in the race, and from what I understand, K.Linardo might have had some controller issues, causing frequent brake locking.

I don't think anyone had problems in the FBM race, although there weren't as many people using wheels.

As for the future of the Automation racing league, I was wondering if anyone wanted to switch games, considering the LFS demo has pretty much only 3 possible car/track combinations.

I know a lot of people have Asseto Corsa, which could definitively be interesting since it offers a decent variety of vehicles.

An other alternative might be Race07, especially since SimBin pack, which includes Race07 and many of its expansions, comes on sale semi-regularly for around 10$.
<<

spavatch

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:10 pm

TrackpadUser wrote:It helps a lot when you don't get wheel issues :lol:
But seriously, so many mechanical problems.
I think you, Maras and Evardsen all had to recalibrate their wheel or something at some point in the race, and from what I understand, K.Linardo might have had some controller issues, causing frequent brake locking.

Haha, that's true. Mechanical issues do happen, however, so I consider them a rough representation of their real life counterparts.

I can report what I've witnessed. Maras told me after the race that his setup (or driving style :P) shot the tires by lap 10 and he had to fight for grip in the corners, which is reflected by worsening laptimes. I started to gain on him and when when we were approaching the starting grid during lap 17, with bumpers literally centimetres apart, he encountered a sudden G27 reset. Very unlucky! He went into the left side barrier at an 30 deg. angle which messed up his front left suspension affecting laptimes and letting me take the lead. Up to this point I had no failures whatsoever, suspension in perfect nick and tyres worn evenly, but I had my five minutes of horror as well. Somewhere around lap 18 or 19 I was approaching KLinardo's black XFG, preparing to overtake. He had a blue flag so he let me pass and I did so without any problem at the right corner concluding the long straight. However, he seemed unhappy with such turn of events and at the last left corner before the grid area at lap 20 he used the Force against me casting a spell 'this is not the racing line you are looking for' ;) which knocked me out of focus. I took the corner a bit too early, hit the inside curb, launched in the air and performed a stunning corkscrew across the whole width of the track, landing on the green. Lucky enough, I drew a joker and landed proper side up so I could continue remaining ten laps, unfortunately with right side suspension completely collapsed. After two careful laps I kind of got used to new handling situation and decided not to pit as repairing such heavy damage would take a lot of time costing me falling into 3rd place. The car felt very wobbly and loose, I was losing 2-2,5 seconds each lap. Fortunately, most corners go right so the almost untouched left side suspension coped with them pretty well, just had to do it gently. During last few laps a fierce battle between two crippled cars took place. Maras managed to pass but eventually he lost his pace again (tyres?) and at the long straight of the final lap I regained the lead and took it to the finish.

All in all, it was hands down the most thrilling online racing experience I've had literally for years! Good steady pace, fair amount of rivalry, surprising mishaps, all I'm looking for in simracing. Plus, I've learned my lesson not to mess with the Dark Side (i.e. black cars :lol:). The competition was tough and I was hoping for second or third depending how the others would do so the final result was really a pleasant surprise :).

TrackpadUser wrote:As for the future of the Automation racing league, I was wondering if anyone wanted to switch games, considering the LFS demo has pretty much only 3 possible car/track combinations.
I know a lot of people have Asseto Corsa, which could definitively be interesting since it offers a decent variety of vehicles.
An other alternative might be Race07, especially since SimBin pack, which includes Race07 and many of its expansions, comes on sale semi-regularly for around 10$.

As for me, I have S3 licence in LFS so I'm voting for that ;).
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 am

Perhaps we shouldn't just limit it to racing games. What about more casual things in which we have private lobbies for the lot of us?
I'm ok with it staying strictly racing games only though, because I have plenty. The hardest part for me is finding the time to join you all...
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:49 am

spavatch wrote:As for me, I have S3 licence in LFS so I'm voting for that ;).

I have an S2 license, and I Pyrlix also does, but he was unable to take part in the last 2 races.

We could even have fun with the S1 license since it add 2 more tracks with loads of variants and a bunch of new cars.

I still think the SimBin package is a better deal for you money though.

Microwave wrote:Perhaps we shouldn't just limit it to racing games. What about more casual things in which we have private lobbies for the lot of us?
I'm ok with it staying strictly racing games only though, because I have plenty. The hardest part for me is finding the time to join you all...

I know a few of us played GTA 5 together, but it's not a game I like to play in large groups since you regularly end up with a few guys having connection problems of some sort.

I know a few also play CS:GO, if you are into that.
<<

koolkei

Cars: a mini 2 wheeled single cyl car :D

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:01 am

^might as well play dota2? :P

who also plays World of Tanks?? i used to play em upto tier 5 and then quit
<<

spavatch

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 am

koolkei wrote:who also plays World of Tanks?? i used to play em upto tier 5 and then quit

I do, tiers 1 through 10. But I thought we wanted to have fun playing games, not swear and spit nails... :P
<<

Vri404

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: 2000 Toyota Altezza Auto

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:12 am

If people had Xbox One's we could use forza 6, as that's all I have (Due to Craptop) but I'd love to get more involved with the community outside of automation itself.
Salt is what 95% of children are made from, and generally 72% of forum users.

Also 82% of statistics are made up.
<<

Leonardo9613

4-Star Beta Tester
4-Star Beta Tester

Cars: '15 Ford Ka 1.0 SE

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 am

I strongly advise getting assetto corsa. Honestly, first steam sale in which it's included you should buy it. No one will regret it ;)
<<

TrackpadUser

2-Star Beta Tester
2-Star Beta Tester

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:39 am

The issue with console racing games is that if you don't have the console, it's a bit expensive to get started.

Older sims like LFS and Race07 run on pretty much everything, and the only things you really need is the game itself, which is around 40$ for an LFS S2 license, or around 10$ for the simbin pack on sale, as well as a controller which is around 50$ for a wired Xbox 360 controller or pretty much 0$ if you already own a PS3/PS4.

Still, from talking with others on the IRC, I suspect that Assetto Corsa is the sim most people here own, although it requires a somewhat decent PC to run it.
<<

spavatch

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 am

TrackpadUser wrote:The issue with console racing games is that if you don't have the console, it's a bit expensive to get started.

Plus, there aren't many proper controllers for it, especially for xbox. And you can't attach three monitors to it. These two drawbacks disqualify consoles in my eyes as a simracing hardware.

TrackpadUser wrote:Still, from talking with others on the IRC, I strongly suspect that Assetto Corsa is the sim most people here own, although it requires a somewhat decent PC to run it.

How about Project CARS? Am I the only one owning a copy?
<<

T16

8-Star Beta Tester
8-Star Beta Tester

Cars: AW11, 405 T16

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:47 am

Here is the replay from the main race, it goes in you data LFS/Data/mpr folder.

My race was all right with the exception of 3 laps, first my pc decide to minimise the LFS window, which made me crash head first into a wall. Another effect of changing the active window is that LFS looses the wheel calibration, at first I just drove with the wheel at roughly 180 degrees. Until at the next corner it did it again. This I got lucky and only got a trip in the sandbox. Now I was driving with the wheel offset at about 90 degrees, which I did for half a lap before stopping and turning my wheel all the way one way and the other.
The other bad lap on the other hand was completely my own fault, I simply ran out of talent, ended out going wide in a corner, drove over some grass and scrapped a wall slightly. Sadly in the last few laps, I never really got quite back in the groove I had been in, between the two incidents. (not the it would have made a difference)

Regrading the future, personally I own the simbin pack (I only think I have tried GT legends) and Asseto Corsa, the latter is at the limit of what my PC will run.
pCars on the other hand runs at single digit FPS when there is more than one car on track.
<<

spavatch

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:55 am

T16 wrote:Here is the replay from the main race, it goes in you data LFS/Data/mpr folder.

Marvellous! Thank you! :)
Previous

Return to Off Topic