FAQ  •  Login

getting a new graphics card, is this one good?

<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: Korean 2 Litre DOHC Brap Machine

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: getting a new graphics card, is this one good?

Yeah ^
It was a good purchase, it easily runs games on high settings.
Now, start looking for cases. Ain't no use buying a new CPU and mobo if it doesn't fit in your case (also, there are plenty cases on Craigslist too).
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Microwave wrote:Yeah ^
It was a good purchase, it easily runs games on high settings.
Now, start looking for cases. Ain't no use buying a new CPU and mobo if it doesn't fit in your case (also, there are plenty cases on Craigslist too).

weirdly enough i actually already have one lol, so far it all fits in the standard case though but i didn't get the GPU yet, the one i have is a rosewill blackhawk
Company Id:1945270
Galt Motors, excelence since 1945
(PS, Galt automotive is still Galt motors, i use it interchangably)
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: no license right now but i'll be getting a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS once i do get one

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:30 am

actually people nevermind, i forgot to check the most important thing, if it would fit, the answer is no, or at least without somehow being able to move the heatsink, why they put the PCI-E slot at the top idk, but all i know is i now have a fancy graphics card that only fits in one of my old pentium 4 machines, so super overkill GPU for a pentium system it is then aperantly
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:18 pm

The 750Ti will fit the Blackhawk perfectly fine... What are tou talking about?
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am

Microwave wrote:The 750Ti will fit the Blackhawk perfectly fine... What are tou talking about?

The motherboard has the size compatibility, the card smashes right into the heat sink, I do have a teacher at my school who is going to take a look at modifying it for me as a class project (don't have to worry about him breaking it since he could literally build a whole new one need be)
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:48 am

If you can, send me a photo. This should not be happening... what the hell kind of heatsink do you have?
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:13 am

Microwave wrote:If you can, send me a photo. This should not be happening... what the hell kind of heatsink do you have?

the stock dell one, because dell has the processor right behind the PCI-e slot, so without modification it will not fit, luckily my technology teacher at school agreed to help modify the heatsink to let it fit in, but another issue i had with the blackhawk is that the dell's motherboard is not a standard form factor, it doesn't fit, so i just have to mod the case to have it fit everything in, it fits th card ok but the power connector may be too much but idk yet, and i'd get a photo but my phone's broke, and i dropped it off at my school for him to work on it
<<

Microwave

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:57 am

Oh, you're using a Dell motherboard?
Fuck that, buy one right now if you have money. Don't waste your time with that Dell one.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:04 am

Microwave wrote:Oh, you're using a Dell motherboard?
Fuck that, buy one right now if you have money. Don't waste your time with that Dell one.

unfortunately i'm out of cash, but like i said i'm able to mod it to get it to fit, while not optimal, it's what i can afford (plus my teacher said it makes a good project for our class), unless there is an lga 775 board that supports the q8300 for $20 or less, i'm stuck with the dell board, least i have a plan to make it work
also if i do get another motherboard i'd probably try to use one of my mATX cases since they can happily take the card aswell, while they are alll from stripped out systems, at least it's a standard size
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Cars: Chevy Cobalt

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:31 am

That's what I said!!! :) Although, fitting an aftermarket board into a Dell case can be a nightmare sometimes. I have a few here of my own with stock boards because I didn't find anything suitable that would fit.

Save the money until you can modify/upgrade with good components.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:41 am

07CobaltGirl wrote:

That's what I said!!! :) Although, fitting an aftermarket board into a Dell case can be a nightmare sometimes. I have a few here of my own with stock boards because I didn't find anything suitable that would fit.

Save the money until you can modify/upgrade with good components.

ohh that's what you've been saying this whole time, lol, i wish, my issue is that i only have about $20 left over now, i mean i do have a plan to get the card to fit that will work if i cannot get anything else for it, because i have everything else except the board, i do have a lga 775 board but it doesn't work with the q8300
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Q8300 support exists on this ASRock motherboard. Not a huge fan of ASRock boards, but they're not the worst. A bit better than most Acer boards I've experienced, so certainly it is worth a look. The mATX form factor is a huge plus for it. It's also under $70. If you shop, you can probably find it lower even, but I'd be careful using eBay for motherboards and memory. Speaking of memory, the upside is, you're probably already holding DDR2 800-1066MHz memory in your current board.

ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 mATX motherboard $67.99

A confirmed list of known boards to support the Q8300 Intel Processor. Yes, the ASRock board is on the list.

Q8300 motherboard list

I didn't search for every single board on the list, but I can tell you 90% of the ones I searched for are no longer available in retail channels. One of the ones to look for on that list would be the MSI P45 Neo3-FR. Very solid board. Also very difficult to find, so good luck in your search. Well worth it if you're set on the LGA775 platform.
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:31 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:Q8300 support exists on this ASRock motherboard. Not a huge fan of ASRock boards, but they're not the worst. A bit better than most Acer boards I've experienced, so certainly it is worth a look. The mATX form factor is a huge plus for it. It's also under $70. If you shop, you can probably find it lower even, but I'd be careful using eBay for motherboards and memory. Speaking of memory, the upside is, you're probably already holding DDR2 800-1066MHz memory in your current board.

ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 mATX motherboard $67.99

A confirmed list of known boards to support the Q8300 Intel Processor. Yes, the ASRock board is on the list.

Q8300 motherboard list

I didn't search for every single board on the list, but I can tell you 90% of the ones I searched for are no longer available in retail channels. One of the ones to look for on that list would be the MSI P45 Neo3-FR. Very solid board. Also very difficult to find, so good luck in your search. Well worth it if you're set on the LGA775 platform.

i will look into it, thanks, because the microATX is really helpful, but my issue is that the board has DDR3 in it right now
<<

07CobaltGirl

Queen of Track Building

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:02 pm

LGA775 with DDR3????

Now you're just being difficult!!

Another one from the list of compatible boards. I don't remember why I picked the other one over this one before. There was a difference, but I'm not seeing it right now. Price is very similar to the previous board.

ASRock G41C-GS R2.0 LGA 775 - $66.99

For being difficult, this board is going to be difficult back. The spacing between the PCIe x16 slot and the heatsink is narrower. (The previous board I showed had a x1 runner between the heat sink and the x16.)
<<

cpufreak101

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm

07CobaltGirl wrote:LGA775 with DDR3????

Now you're just being difficult!!

Another one from the list of compatible boards. I don't remember why I picked the other one over this one before. There was a difference, but I'm not seeing it right now. Price is very similar to the previous board.

ASRock G41C-GS R2.0 LGA 775 - $66.99

For being difficult, this board is going to be difficult back. The spacing between the PCIe x16 slot and the heatsink is narrower. (The previous board I showed had a x1 runner between the heat sink and the x16.)

thanks, i'll see if i can find one in my budget, if not it's not the end of the world
PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic