FAQ  •  Login

MX-5 Miata Appreciation Thread

<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:46 pm

MX-5 Miata Appreciation Thread

Because the answer is always Miata.

Given the sheer number of MX-5 owners on these forums, I thought this might be an appropriate thread to have - even if you absolutely hate the idea of a small and lightweight roadster that is actually capable of being driven occasionally without breaking down every few months, it's hard to ignore the world's best selling sports car.

So the ND MX-5 is now rolling off the assembly line in full force, anybody interested in owning one (in a few years when they start popping up on the used market for good prices)? Not entirely sold on the rear styling, and I'm actually rather fond of the NC's mixed bag of RX-8 derived goodies.

MX-5 owners: chime in with what you drive and why you bought one.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: MX-5 Miata Appreciation Thread

I myself regarded the NC as the black sheep, purely in terms of MX-5 philosophy. I was eyeing a '92 NA for some months, but more recently my brother acquired a wholly stock '97 NB, the grand total of modifications he made to it being fixing the canvas top, replacing the notorious manifold, and a strut brace. That strut brace made a world of difference in uneven corners.

The other weakness I found, which I hear is a common issue, is the stock clutch slips if giving it the beans in 2nd. But I must admit that I was rarely compelled to drive it as hard as possible over our 4 day country road trip. The real joy was experiencing how pliant and eager the car was in corners, how (comparatively) responsive the throttle was. The short precise throws made learning the double declutch downshift shuffle (I don't normally drive stick) all the more enjoyable, adding to the sense of involvement bringing the nose into an apex.

Also, with the soft top, regardless of it is down or up, there's far less incentive to go fast anyway. Already at highway speeds, with modern traffic it can seem almost claustrophobic, being seated so low and in such a small car surrounded by semis and SUVs. This seemed to revel in a different era, away from all that modern mess.

I would totally buy an ND, second hand, sometime down the track. My other considerations would be the Toyobaru 86/BRZ (less likely), or even a 2015 Civic Type R, though that's in a different price bracket lol.

Return to Off Topic