FAQ  •  Login

Gonna buy a car for college, suggestions?

<<

AlyxMS

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 8:10 am

Gonna buy a car for college, suggestions?

I've just graduated from my high school a few weeks ago and I got admitted by a college in San Francisco.
I used to drive around with my dad's 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4 around illegally.
Since I'm becoming a college student my dad agreed to buy me a car.

My family is well off but not rich, my dream car has always been the 2008-2013 BMW M3 E92 Coupe, it is pretty expensive (Avg. 60k USD for one in great condition) for a family like mine.
With the fact that I've only been driving for ~20 hours and I'm asian (Asians can't drive, lolz. But people around me says I'm extremely good for a beginner) I wouldn't want to ruin a expensive vehicle because of my lacking in experience.
Especially since I would need to spend all the money I saved for my entire life plus the budget my dad offers to buy the M3.

So my dad suggests that he would offer me a budget of $10k for me to buy a "practice car" that I would drive for about 1-2 years to get experienced.
10k is a interesting budget, because I can get cool but old cars (Like a 2005 BMW 325Ci) or newer but uncool cars(Like a 2008 Mazda 6).
Since I am gonna be driving this car for 1-2 years a cool car would be awesome but it might break frequently (especially these old BMWs, they are disasters) and the uncool cars would be the opposite.

I did a bit of research on the internet.
Here's the list a few cars I've chosen. I am looking forward for you guys to give me better suggestions since I know nothing about second hand cars and my knowledge in cars are pretty much all concentrated on BMW.
2006 Mazda Miata MX-5
2008 Mazda 6
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
2010 Mazda 3
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
2005 BMW 325Ci Expensive to maintain
2008 Honda Civic
2007 Honda Civic Si
2009 Scion tC Problematic engine
2012 Ford Focus SE
Subaru???

I really like BMWs but I don't know if the 325Ci (Or even a 330Ci) would be a good idea, because old BMWs are expensive to maintain.
I don't want to buy a Toyota Corolla or stuff like that because they are just wayyyyyyyyyy too uncool.

So any other suggestions or picking one from my list would be appreciated.
Also another question: Do I really need to buy a M3? I has been my dream car back when I was 12. However it is slightly higher than the budget my family gave me (30k) which means I'll have to spend everything I have to buy it even after 2 years and the price have gone down.
Last edited by AlyxMS on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
<<

UltimateBMWfan

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Post Sun May 31, 2015 8:40 am

Re: Gonna buy a car for college, suggestions?

Don't buy an M3. Sure it's great to buy your dream car, but there's a difference between having enough money to buy a car and being able to afford one.

Buy a fun and carefree car for now, something interesting. Wait a while before you go for your dream. It's no fun if you immediately go out and fulfill your dream either is it? :P
Car companies:
BMC AG |

<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Cars: 2006 Scion Xb

Post Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 am

If you don't want a corolla, (and I don't know why you wouldn't, their reputation is well deserved) have you thought about a ford focus? A well equipped sel or ses from 09-10 should be in your budget and they are great cars and are cheaper to fix than their Mazda counterparts.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
"Centauri: The Stars Are Within Your Reach."
Centauri engines Centauri cars
CPV engines CPV cars
Company ID: 1943047
<<

AlyxMS

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 9:43 am

nialloftara wrote:If you don't want a corolla, (and I don't know why you wouldn't, their reputation is well deserved) have you thought about a ford focus? A well equipped sel or ses from 09-10 should be in your budget and they are great cars and are cheaper to fix than their Mazda counterparts.

Well, it's like everyone buys a corolla.
If I owns a corolla I would just be one of them. (People at my age, you know, trying to be different, especially since I'm going to an art college)
Ford Focus looks pretty cool but I prefer sedan/coupe to hatchbacks.
<<

AlyxMS

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 9:46 am

UltimateBMWfan wrote:Don't buy an M3. Sure it's great to buy your dream car, but there's a difference between having enough money to buy a car and being able to afford one.

Buy a fun and carefree car for now, something interesting. Wait a while before you go for your dream. It's no fun if you immediately go out and fulfill your dream either is it? :P

But the thing is when I can afford it all the M3's that were in good shape would just be sold and only the ones with 100k+ miles would be left!
(I am sort of a NA freak, the new turbo charged M3 just don't gets to me and they look uglier compared to the E92 too so I would be getting a second hand E92 even if I can afford the new model, tho I can't)
However you do have a good point.
I still think I might still buy it, drive it rarely and keep it well maintained so I can drive it whenver I want when I got a job.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 9:55 am

The focus came as primarily a sedan, with a few coupés, mainly the ST.
Chief designer and CEO, Centauri motor works, Centauri Performance Vehicles (CPV)
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

AlyxMS

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 10:13 am

nialloftara wrote:The focus came as primarily a sedan, with a few coupés, mainly the ST.

Oh I wasn't aware of that because it's kinda rare from where I live. (I don't even know if it's available in my country)
And also the sedan kinda looks like a focus hatch with a boot installed there by force. Looks kinda clunky.

Another thing is that it's a bit "mainstream" like the corolla, but the ST's performance really sets it apart from the others. I might end up buying the ST hatch if I've chosen the focus.
I'll definitely consider the focus as an option. Thanks.
<<

nialloftara

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 10:29 am

Oh what country are you from? You said San Francisco for college so I thought you were a fellow American.
CPV engines CPV cars
<<

AlyxMS

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 am

nialloftara wrote:Oh what country are you from? You said San Francisco for college so I thought you were a fellow American.

Thought I said I'm asian.
Guess Asian Americans are way too conmmon these days.
I'm from China.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Sun May 31, 2015 11:26 am

My opinion as an auto parts salesman (for ten years now) Get a Honda or Toyota. They are tough as nails, out here in the states they regularly see upwards to 300,000 miles with few problems.

BMW is asking for too many problems as a first car, also I would recomend avoiding the Scion Tc, that 2.4L engine they used has way too soft of valve seals. They start burning oil religilously around 110k miles.

Just the thoughts of a guy who sales parts.
ID: 1963886
<<

Sayonara

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun May 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Would recommend Honda over Toyota, decidedly less wooden to drive and in the case of Hondas, just as bulletproof. Also yes, avoid Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE like the plague, apart from issues noted above they also like to strip their head bolts and leak coolant from the back of the engine.

Considered a Subaru?

Don't buy any BMW unless you have wads of cash to throw at mechanics.

Source: I am one.
<<

AlyxMS

Supercharged
Supercharged

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 am

Sayonara wrote:Would recommend Honda over Toyota, decidedly less wooden to drive and in the case of Hondas, just as bulletproof. Also yes, avoid Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE like the plague, apart from issues noted above they also like to strip their head bolts and leak coolant from the back of the engine.

Considered a Subaru?

So Scion tC and BMWs are definitely out of the list here.
I'm not very familiar with Subarus, any suggestions?
<<

harizvet1

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: none.hoping to get GT86

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:23 am

Impreza?
<<

adamd

9-Star Beta Tester
9-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Toyota GT86 Giallo, Citroen 2CV6 Spécial

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:27 am

AlyxMS wrote:
Sayonara wrote:Would recommend Honda over Toyota, decidedly less wooden to drive and in the case of Hondas, just as bulletproof. Also yes, avoid Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE like the plague, apart from issues noted above they also like to strip their head bolts and leak coolant from the back of the engine.

Considered a Subaru?

So Scion tC and BMWs are definitely out of the list here.
I'm not very familiar with Subarus, any suggestions?

As far as I'm aware the head bolts thing was fixed by the 2009 tC was around, but the oil burning gunked up pistons issue was still around. Toyota do offer an extended warranty to replace them that a 2009 would still be under, but er, that would still be inconvenient. Have you considered the 2010- car with the later 2.5 engine? It's a big improvement over the 2.4, not just from a reliability standpoint.

I will agree with the driving experience comment, the tC is a tweaked up Avensis. The Avensis is quite capable but very much focused more towards easier driving rather than hooning. The tC is a bit better feeling due to where it's geared, but still won't set your pants on fire.
<<

Lordred

Cars: 1966 Sunbeam Alpine
1997 Ford Crown Victoria

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35 am

What kind of economy are you hoping to get from your first car, and also are there any space / size requirements?
That said, how do you intend to drive?
How are the conditions of your roads?
How nice of an area are you in, do you need to worry about theft, careless people who might ding/dent your vehicle?
Do you plan to drive alone, do you need to seat a few people?

These are all important things to consider.
ID: 1963886
Next

Return to Off Topic