<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Skoda Felicia Combi 1.3 MPi LXi

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:07 am

Automation Roll To Dodge

Hello, and welcome to Roll to Dodge!

Roll to Dodge is a free-form role-playing game (usually played over forum or IRC) designed to have simple enough rules that anyone can jump in and start playing immediately. (don't think I came up with it. It's so simple I would not be original even if I did create something like that myself). The rules go like this:

Each turn, a player submits an action and at the end of the turn, GM (me, that is) rolls some six-sided dice, one for each player to determine the result of each action.

There are six levels of success, depending on the number rolled, shown below: (Each of the levels comes with an example result to making a 1955 Bavarian Racing Challenge submission)

1 - Critical Failure - The action is effectively not performed and instead backfires horribly (Example: As you finished the submission and decided to test it, Automation threw an error saying "WTF is this crap?!", and then, your computer exploded
2 - Failure - The action is not performed, pretty much (Example: You came up with nothing. You could not get around the limitations)
3 - Partial success - The action is performed, but the results aren't as good as the player wanted (Example: You did build a car for the contest. However, it took you 3 hours to do so, and the result is just average)
4 - Success - The action is performed adequately (Example: After 1 hour of tinkering around, you get a top 10 car)
5 - Epic Success - The action is performed very well, better expected (Example: It did not take you long to build a car. Moreover, no one seems to come close to your laptimes. You might even get the first place!
6 - Overshoot - The action is performed too well for your own good, and has unforeseen consequences. (Example: As you finished the submission, Windows threw a message saying "This...This is so epic! I...I gotta make this real life!". The car started up and drove through the screen, right towards you.)

When you are attacked or overshoot (and sometimes, when you get a critical failure too) , you will have to Roll to Dodge the attack. This works exactly the same as the normal action, except it's performed automatically, and the 6 counts as you counter-attacking the attacker.

You can do any action you wish (Go to some other place, try to find something, craft something from the items in your equipment, attack somebody, for an instance). Keep it kinda reasonable though. If you decide to do something gamebreaking (for an instance, become invulnerable to any attacks), I WILL nerf your action. Also, keep in mind that in most of the locations in the game, most of the location's features are completely unknown (even by me) until the feature gets brought up (and possibly settled by the die roll). For an instance, if you are looking for a shelter in some outdoors location, and get a 4, it'll turn out some hut or something like this was there all along.

Oh, and keep to one action per turn (I'll be angry if you try to skew that one too much). Oh, and talking's usually a free action.

Now, due to the nature of Roll to Dodge, I won't be doing any special signups. You just can jump into the play. (with some nice arrival as the first action perhaps). Every player begins with 40 HP and some ordinary clothing..

The first roll will be after 4 players come in, or in roughly 24 hours from now, whichever comes later.

Ok, so here's the zeroth description:

It's sometime just before the midday. You wake up in some grassy meadow with no recollection of what happened to you, or how you got here. You spot a sole tree standing in the meadow. You also spot you have nothing in your pockets

The first players face the scenario above.
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:32 am

Re: Automation Roll To Dodge

I blink hazily and rub imaginary sleep out of my eyes, mumbling "and that, kiddies, is why you don't do crack." Only I have no idea whether I was doing any. I then double-take at the sound of my own voice. Man, that's weird! Its like I never spoke before now. Is this what they call amnesia? Hope it isn't permanent. Still, this place looks nice. It's almost like a dream. One can hope.

ACTION: better get a better idea of the surrounds. I'm going to climb that tree, see where the nearest road is. Maybe see if I can hitch a ride.
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None right now.

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:52 pm

"Huh?"

Awoken by a soft breeze, I see nothing but grasslands around me. I have no clue how I got here, nor what happened to me. All I know is that my head hurts. A lot. I need to find a way out, and fast. But there's nothing but acres of grass and a single tree. The tree seems like a clue, but I'm not so sure. Still woozy, any guy can only wish that this never happened.

Action: Examine the tree. Look at the finer details. Maybe I'll find some clues to get out of here.
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
Rennen. Perfection in Performance.™
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 pm

I woke up in the middle of nowhere, it seems. I also notice that the clothing I am wearing is rather not stylish. But I guess that doesn't matter wherever it was I was last night. I couldn't remember where I was last night. I look into my pocket and found that there's nothing in it. I got a little bit worry about my ID and driving license. How would I be able to buy booze without them? It doesn't matter anyway. I'll just request for a new one at the council first thing after I got away from this mess.

Action: Look around for a car park with a car to steal.
uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:40 pm

I am standing here in the meadow wondering what is going on. The last thing i remember is that i've been sitting in the workshop and worked on my car. Fortunately i lost nothing, as i had nothing in my pockets before, but strangely they feel emptier than ever before. Maybe I am dead, or I've been kidnapped...

Action: Walk to the tree and trench out the ground next to examine if that is a secret treasure hunt i got kidnapped on.
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Ouch! My back! I suddenly wake up lying on a rock, all my body is aching.

"Aaaargh... seriously? Wait... where did i end up?"

I still feel sort of normal, only lighter that usual, pretty suspicious thing...
And my voice is rougher, how long i've been on that rock?!

I spot a tree in the distance, and feel some weird movements in the grass..

"Am i in the world of Pokèmon?!"

ACTION: Get sneakily to the tree, to not alert possible attackers.
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:35 pm

strop:

better get a better idea of the surrounds. I'm going to climb that tree, see where the nearest road is. Maybe see if I can hitch a ride.

You rolled: 3

Both the tree and your climbing abilities turned out to be a bit weaker than you expected. However, while it did take some attempts, and while you managed to snap a branch off in the process, you did get onto it. To your disappointment, the only road you did see was a dirt road, with no cars except some maroon pick-up truck parked by. Definitely no one who could take any hitchhikers here.

titleguy1:

Examine the tree. Look at the finer details. Maybe I'll find some clues to get out of here.

You rolled: 1

The examination of the tree did not result in you getting any leads whatsoever. I mean, you did spot some guy trying to climb that very tree, but that was not going to help you in any way. Not only that, but as you looked up, you notice a branch falling straight on you.

ROLL TO DODGE a falling branch!

You rolled: 5

You gracefully leaped away from the falling potential death. As you look at it, you spot something weird on the branch. As you look closer, you notice some now broken microcameras coupled with a radio transmitter and a battery. Someone was observing you all. Sure, you don't know who, and you don't have any means of determining that now, but it is a clue, isn't it?

conan:

Look around for a car park with a car to steal.

Well, you did not quite find a car park, however, you did find a parked car. And not just any ordinary car. It was the Bogliq Haulage, the 1978 marvel, it has the interior of a normal car, and actually comes with an airbag, but it's a proper pick-up truck, a proper workhorse, which is a perfect fit for the dirt road its parked by. And this one, this maroon Haulage is in pristine condition. Not only that, you also find its keys lying on the ground.

pyrlix:

Walk to the tree and trench out the ground next to examine if that is a secret treasure hunt i got kidnapped on.

Holy crap. I do not know how exactly you have managed to trench out the ground so quickly, let alone with your bare hands, but you did so. I'm amazed. Not only that, you have also managed to find a small pouch, making a metallic sounds when shaken, indicating something is inside. After opening it, you've noticed the pouch is filled with some old golden coins. Not only that, you notice a golden ring on top of the coins, with a small, glowing Alfa Romeo badge on it. Perfect fit for the alfa male.

EnryGT5:

Get sneakily to the tree, to not alert possible attackers.

You rolled: 3

Your stealth skills cannot be paralleled. Seriously. You were quieter than a whisper. Quieter than a heartbeat. Hell, you were quieter than this guy's PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3_sy3-c6LM Too bad the other people in the vicinity of the tree don't really care about sneaking, about being quiet. There's this guy who cannot keep a branch of a tree intact, and some badass trenching out the ground with his bare hands. You notice a Rattata walking towards you all, alerted by the noise.

Character info:

Player Characters:

strop
HP: 40/40
Equipment: None

titleguy1

conan
Equipment: 1978 Boglig Haulage keys.

pyrlix
HP:40/40
Equipment: Pouch full of old golden coins, Alfa Romeo ring

EnryGT5

NPCs:

Rattata
HP:5/5
Equipment:None
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:41 pm

Cool, a pickup truck from the Malaise era. I could get some use out of this possibly. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it certainly would suit the dirt road that is just lying nearby. I wonder if I should try to start it. Because a pristine pick up truck with keys lying on the floor? It could be a trap. But I couldn't resist my temptation anyway.

Action: Start the Bogliq
<<

strop

3-Star Beta Tester
3-Star Beta Tester

Cars: Honda Civic VTI-S MY13

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:06 am

Question for Kubby: Are we allowed to let the actions of other players influence us, or for us to attempt to interfere with other player scenarios? Or will that be too complex and should we focus only on our own progress?

For now, I'll concentrate on the pickup...

ACTION: I was sorely disappointed at my lack of tree climbing skills. I'm supposed to be a goddamn ninja. Now how come I remember that? Was that just fantasy? Either way, there is only one way to find out if I'm a goddamn ninja or not, and that is to defy gravity! I shall leap out of the tree (without checking how high it is), in the general direction of the pickup truck!
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:21 am

strop wrote:Question for Kubby: Are we allowed to let the actions of other players influence us, or for us to attempt to interfere with other player scenarios? Or will that be too complex and should we focus only on our own progress?

OT: Well, you are certainly allowed to interact with others, sometimes it won't even be intentional, for example title almost got hit by a branch because of you trying to climb on the tree. Now, what happens on such interaction is a case-by-case scenario, but generally speaking, if you help them doing their action, or try to disrupt them, the action's success or failure will be determined by the highest roll, while attacking them will make the other player roll to dodge your attack, and quite possibly, interrupt their action.
<<

pyrlix

23 Star Beta Tester
23 Star Beta Tester

Cars: Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTS
Opel Vivaro 2.0CDTI SE

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:53 am

Wow, some old golden coins from a gone era... but this Alfa Ring amazes me. It has a weird glow, and a funny aura to it. Maybe i am high on LSD... but it has to be a meaning that it was laying on top of all rings, thats like a movie, or the ring is like the sword from He-Man!

Action: Put on the Ring and scream "I AM THE POWER!"
<Killrob> you commited a lot of crimes... among others against: 1) international minimum intelligence laws 2) human rights to a brain 3) act against devolution of the human mind
<<

EnryGT5

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: '01 Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi
'10 Citroen C3 1.6 HDi

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:56 am

A... a Rattata?! I slowly back off and look at the ground, there is a snapped branch near me..

"Hmm... should be enough to kill such a weak Pokèmon, it's pretty large."

ACTION: Take the branch and fight Rattata
CEO of Seishido Motors.
Forum Thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8343

Suddenly, a temporary logo appears.
<<

titleguy1

Naturally Aspirated

Cars: None right now.

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:33 am

Oh, shiiiiiiiiiiii-!

I leap out of the way from the branch that nearly falls on my head. Panting, I try to tell the guy above me to take it easy, alright? So he apologizes. Howver, upon closer examination, the branch seems to have... Huh?! Hidden cameras and a battery? Oh, man, somebody's spying on us. Well, whoever it is, we can't focus on. We still need a way out. Another guy faces a Pokémon(!?) and uses the branch as a weapon. There goes my clue. Another guy has keys to a seemingly whole and untouched Bogliq Haulage, maybe I can hitch a ride...

Action: Ask the man with the car keys if I can ride with him. Will he reject, or no?
Rennen Automotive
Historic Collection
Rennen. Perfection in Performance.™
<<

Kubboz

5-Star Beta Tester
5-Star Beta Tester

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:13 am

Previous roll: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6254#p70549

conan:

Start the Bogliq

You roll a: 6

The moment you turn the key in the ignition, the radio starts playing a catchy tune, full of the 80's, full of badassness. If you were outside you could have noticed the hidden red lights in the grille lighting up in a pattern creating an illusion of a red light moving side to side.
-you, you are not my partner - a deep voice says - Explain yourself, before I turn on the electrified seat.

ROLL TO DODGE the car zapping you!

You roll a: 2

You fail to find a sufficient explanation. You expected the Haulage exploding at most, but not a truck turning out to be a KITT ripoff! You get stunned by the electrified seat, and the Bogliq throws you out of the cabin. You lose 4 HP in the process. The Haulage spots people near the tree, and starts driving slowly towards them.

strop:

I shall leap out of the tree (without checking how high it is), in the general direction of the pickup truck!

You roll a: 2

Time to concentrate on this one. Channelling the ninja energy is a difficult task, requiring concentration...Suddenly! You hear someone shouting to you.
-Hey! Take it easy man! You almost killed me with that branch!
NO! NOT NOW! the man below ruined your concentration moment, and at the stage you can NOT back off! Shit! Your foot gets stuck in a branch, and then the branch snaps, sending you downwards and resulting in a loss of 5 HP. Good thing there are no injuries that would be more serious.

pyrlix:

Put on the Ring and scream "I AM THE POWER!"

You roll a: 1

As you put the ring on your finger, it starts glowing red, and you notice you cannot take it off anymore. As you think about what curse was put on this ring, a phantom figure appears in front of you...Then you recognise who it is. This, this cannot be!
-Du scheißefressender Arschwichser! - A phantom figure of Adolf Hitler holding a staff shouts in front of your face - I knew zere are traitors on mein Land! Traitors, who despise ze zird Reich, and mein cars für ze people! You, you schall receive punischment!
Then a ball of some sort of magic appears at the top of the staff and starts gliding towards you

ROLL TO DODGE the magic attack!

You roll a: 5

You make a move, but it's not enough to dodge the magic missile. Well, it would not be enough, if it flew in the straight line. However, it seems it tried to dodge you as well. After it changed trajectory, it hit a rock some fella happened to sleep on just a while ago, and the rock transformed into a shrinked Volkswagen New Beetle
-VAT ZE FUCK! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE! - the dictator shouted, shocked at the magic attack missing its target in such a way. It seems you have some sort of field around you, directing the magic attacks away from you. You will now receive +1 to any rolls concerning dodging such attacks.

EnryGT5:

Take the branch and fight Rattata

You roll a: 5

You grip the branch, and hit the mouse Pokemon in one smash, snapping its neck. You then realize this branch would normally be too heavy for you. Hmmm. You seem to have gotten stronger, don't ya think? You get +1 to rolls concerning raw strength use.

titleguy1:

Ask the man with the car keys if I can ride with him. Will he reject, or no?

You roll a: 3

You ask the other man a question. Before he has a chance of replying, the pickup truck electrocutes him and throws him out of the car, rendering whatever answer he would have given kinda irrelevant now. The Bogliq proceeded to move towards the tree.

Character info:

Player Characters:

strop
HP: 35/40

titleguy1

conan
HP: 36/40

pyrlix
Equipment: Pouch full of old golden coins, cursed Alfa Romeo ring
Extra: +1 to dodging magic attacks (force field)

EnryGT5
Equipment: Branch
Extra: +1 to raw strength rolls

NPCs:

Rattata
HP:0/5 (dead)
Equipment: Unknown

BITT (Bogliq Industries Two Thousand)
HP:60/60
Equipment: Unknown

Phantom Adolf Hitler
HP:30/30
Equipment: Staff, capable of turning matter into New Beetles
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:19 am

Okay, that's not gone well. Ah, at least I'm not dead yet. Fine, let's get outta here before I wind up getting into another trouble going on in the field nearby.

Action: Walk down the dirt road to find some civilization.
Next

Return to Off Topic