<<

fordford

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: subaru legacy spec b

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 am

Windows 7 update

Hi
Im thinking of upgrading my pc from xp to 7 (keeping same pc just buying windows 7
software) is it as simple as installing the new cd and windows will recognize all hardware for current graphics cards etc or will I have to reinstall everything from scratch?
Regards
Chris
<<

JeffreyCor

1-Star Beta Tester
1-Star Beta Tester

Cars: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron
1999 Saturn SL2

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Windows 7 update

To start what someone finds simple depends on their experiance. A computer expert finds it relativly simple, where most novice to standard users would find it very complex without doing a clean install. There is no in place upgrade path for XP to 7. The method recommended by Microsoft for most users is to do a clean install. Computer shops have specialized software to allow a migration of both data and programs so that nearly everything is ready to go without needing to be reinstalled. Another, unofficial, method is to find a copy of Vista for a temporary upgrade, as 7 does have a direct upgrade path from Vista to 7. Doing that, you would do the upgrade from XP to Vista, then from Vista to 7.
Keep in mind for these methods though you'll be stuck with the same type as you currently have, thus if you have 32 bit Windows XP, you'll be suck with 32 bit Windows 7. The only way to go from a 32 to 64 bit version is either though a data migration (which is what I do for customers) or to do a clean install.

Probably more info than you wanted but should cover all bases :)
<<

fordford

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: subaru legacy spec b

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Re: Windows 7 update

Thanks jeffreycor for the help and advice.
I think ill take it to the shop and let them operate :D

Return to Off Topic