FAQ  •  Login

Help

<<

eseoficial

Cars: I own a 1992 Honda Prelude Si H23A1 non-Vtec SOHC.

Post Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 am

Help

So im currently a highschool student, thinking of going into automotive technology as a major for college , i was wondering if there are any books, or anything that can help me out with school and my future career other than actual experience. (i dont have a car to work on)

any little tip can help :D

My goal is to work for Ford :D, or GM. :D
(fyi: il also be taking business management, possibly own my own garage)
Luis Rosales, Youtube Channel

If you have a Google+ account be sure to circle me, and let me know you're from this forum ^.^
Luis Rosales, Google+
<<

Deus ex Machina

Turbocharged
Turbocharged

Cars: none

Post Thu May 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Help

eseoficial wrote:So im currently a highschool student, thinking of going into automotive technology as a major for college , i was wondering if there are any books, or anything that can help me out with school and my future career other than actual experience. (i dont have a car to work on)

any little tip can help :D

My goal is to work for Ford :D, or GM. :D
(fyi: il also be taking business management, possibly own my own garage)

having had some business management courses at my university, i can only hope u r good with maths.

Im not talking about vectors or definited intregals (sp?), but handling tables of sometimes 10 collumns and 20 rows, where stuff in the upper end has to be extracted from the assignment text, and is sometimes only reachable through dependecies to other stuff (either in the text or to another thing that u got the same way) and is then part of various equations in the lower parts (cost/expence distribution sheet; overhead allocation sheet). Also handling percentages is an important part; not only for interest, but also for pricing (product A cost amount a in the production, prod B b etc. but overall u have other costs, like the canteen, cleaning, electricity etc., how much of that do you add to the costs of the products, and how much do u plan your net gain to be per unit of each product?); economically best load on the various machines, depending on their age, price, how long u plan to use them (and is the time the limiting factor, or the produced units? meaning do u sell it after 4 years or 5? or after 10.000 units of their 25.000 unit lifespan or after 22.000), which influences how much u can sell it to privateers or small companies, who just dont have houndreds of thousand dollars for a single machine, but could still use it.

thats more or less all financial and/or factory planning, since i dont know the american business course-table u might not get the human resource aspect that goes from how many ppl do i need to their wages, maybe paying a bit more makes them content to put an extra hour in without complaining, or would a social place like a football team or whatever help? in the end that all also costs money, which u might not have, or u have to explain your reasons to do that to someone.... (yes in big companies that is an extra department, but if u have 30 employees or less?!? )

BTW: when does which machine work on what part u need for the endproduct needs to be planned too, since the carious parts need different amounts of time, but in the end u need all to start; and different machines have different retooling times that too need to be taken into account.

so expect at least the initial phase of business management to be quite time consuming; it not complicated once u know the equations and calculation methods, it just has the tendecy to get an extraordinary amount of parts to puzzle together according to just a couple of schemas.
SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!

Excellent! Now we can attack in ALL directions.
<<

eseoficial

Post Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 pm

thanks for the reply, i am very good with math, my dad owns a carpet installation company, and he shows me a bit of how finances, taxes, and wages work, also i have experience in carpet and tile installation since i work for him.

i also play the game capitalism, which is a pretty cool tycoon sim, where it has stocks, producing, manufacturing, marketing, distributing in its super basic form.

great info :D keep it all in mind :D

If you have a Google+ account be sure to circle me, and let me know you're from this forum ^.^
Luis Rosales, Google+
<<

fordford

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Cars: subaru legacy spec b

Post Fri May 13, 2011 2:26 am

@eseoficial
hi and welcome to automation
ill make your mind up for you, work for FORD! :D
good luck with what you choose to do though :)
<<

eseoficial

Post Mon May 16, 2011 4:06 pm

jaja. well then my mind is set :P, i looked up a couple colleges/universities and so i've chose to go to UTI, and join the FACT program where i can earn Ford credentials where il have a better shot working for them :D. but i still have studies to get through, finish my highschool and all that.

Do you work for ford? or just in love with them?:D

Luis Rosales, Google+
<<

fordford

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Post Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 am

im just in love with them but i would love to work for them its just that we have no ford factorys(well we do but they make the transit van)down in southhampton.
you can go work for them and get me some discount :lol: :D
<<

conan

Naturally Aspirated

Post Tue May 17, 2011 3:29 am

fordford wrote:im just in love with them but i would love to work for them its just that we have no ford factorys(well we do but they make the transit van)down in southhampton.
you can go work for them and get me some discount :lol: :D

Discount for this? :P

uranium tungsten oxygen octo-thulium
<<

fordford

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Post Tue May 17, 2011 3:57 am

@conan :lol: thats not fords finest hour
<<

eseoficial

Post Tue May 17, 2011 4:45 am

HELL YEA CONAN :P :P :P

theres no plant here in florida so the next best thing is to be working at the dealership. :O

@fordford: il do what i can bout that discount :P (if i make it) :P

Luis Rosales, Google+

Return to Off Topic